Scissors type stabilizers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
SCS

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Scissors type stabilizers

I saw a picture of a 2017 21' in another thread and was surprised that the stabilizers were not scissors type. I seem to remember from viewing some trailers during my research that they did have scissors stabilizers. The Escape site does indicate that type under the features tab. What's the scoop?

Steve
SCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
At one time Escape received the wrong type of stabilizers ( scissor type ) from supplier, so they installed them on a few trailers. That may be what you saw.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
SCS

Could be or my memory of what I saw could be flawed. I'm still confused as to why the Escape site specifies "Front & Rear Scissor Stabilizer Jacks" unless my idea of a scissors and theirs is different.

Steve
Old 02-14-2017, 08:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
No, you are right; Escape trailers use a C-jack stabilizer. Seriously, someone in Chilliwack needs to update the website.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS View Post
Could be or my memory of what I saw could be flawed. I'm still confused as to why the Escape site specifies "Front & Rear Scissor Stabilizer Jacks" unless my idea of a scissors and theirs is different.
Does this help?

Most Escape trailers (pre-2014?) appear to have the original BAL "scissor" jacks:
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

Newer trailers (2014+?) appear to be using what is referred to by BAL as a C-Jack:

Like many things on their website their language under the Features tab was never updated to reflect a different type of stabilizer...but my guess is most people would never even notice.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The Equalizer hitch under options is not the brand. It's actually Pro Series, or was.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Does this help?

Most Escape trailers (pre-2014?) appear to have the original BAL "scissor" jacks:

Newer trailers (2014+?) appear to be using what is referred to by BAL as a C-Jack:

Like many things on their website their language under the Features tab was never updated to reflect a different type of stabilizer...but my guess is most people would never even notice.
Baglo was right; my 2010 17B had scissor jacks, but was a rare one-off for not too many around that time.

Met a 21 owner last month in AZ who wasn't happy when picking up the trailer to see a Pro Series rather than an Equalizer as he expected it to be based on the information at ETI's website. He had them remove it and bought the real McCoy.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #8
SCS

I believe Rubicon nailed it. The trailers I saw were pre 2014 so at least I'm not crazy. Thanks for the links also. I've always had scissors for stability but I'm open minded. I do like the compactness of the newer style but I bet they don't have the reach. I really like the Escape trailers( guess that's kind of obvious since I'm buying one) and I appreciate the efforts of the owners but I do wish the website were updated. I'd volunteer to do it for them but my computer skills are somewhere between weak and nonexistent.

Steve
Old 02-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Baglo was right; my 2010 17B had scissor jacks, but was a rare one-off for not too many around that time.
Rossue, are you saying that all Escapes have typically had the C-Jack regardless of year and those of us with scissor jacks is just a rare occurrence due to a supply chain issue at ETI?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
At one time Escape received the wrong type of stabilizers ( scissor type ) from supplier, so they installed them on a few trailers. That may be what you saw.
Glenn is exactly right. Our 17B was one of those that has the scissor ones. Reace said the supplier sent the wrong ones, and rather than send them back he installed them for customers.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Rossue, are you saying that all Escapes have typically had the C-Jack regardless of year and those of us with scissor jacks is just a rare occurrence due to a supply chain issue at ETI?
That's right- as Baglo and Thoer affirm too. Does your 19 have scissor jacks? I will say that my C-jack screws have tweaked and have replacement screws I bought from BAL to replace sometime soon. Seems to me the scissor jacks are heftier, although heavier as well.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
I have an April 2013 trailer and it has the C-jacks.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #13
SCS

So maybe I have CRS after all. If Kountrykamper will weigh in with what was on his 2013 I'll know for sure.

Steve
Old 02-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
That's right- as Baglo and Thoer affirm too. Does your 19 have scissor jacks? I will say that my C-jack screws have tweaked and have replacement screws I bought from BAL to replace sometime soon. Seems to me the scissor jacks are heftier, although heavier as well.
Yes, we have the scissor jacks. I was guessing at years hence the question marks but it appears it may not be that simple when each type may have been used by ETI.

The scissor design is inherently stronger. The scissors have a 5000 lb capacity for their 24" and 30" extension models with a 24" 7500 lb capacity also available. The C-Jacks have a capacity that reduces with more extension from 5000 lb with 19" model down to 3000 lb with the 31" model. Surprised you had a problem as any of these models should have plenty of capacity for an Escape unless you had a situation that somehow overloaded it.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
My 2012 19' has C-Jacks

My 2012 19' has C-Jacks
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
My 2013 '19 has the bal C type. I added sand pads with nylon wear pad bolted to them made from a old cutting board. I stole the idea from dfandrews. Here is a picture of his.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/me...icture1865.jpg
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
... Surprised you had a problem as any of these models should have plenty of capacity for an Escape unless you had a situation that somehow overloaded it.
Me too, especially since they're used for stabilizing and not lifting.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
I was at Little House Customs in Texas today to have a few things added to our new 21 and had the intent to change out the levelers for BAL scissors. Larry Gamble looked them over and convinced me there was no need to switch to the scissors jacks. He also assured me that it was OK that holes were drilled in the frame to mount them because, unlike Casitas where you would never want to do that, Escapes frames are more substantial and use different construction. Good news and money savings!

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS View Post
So maybe I have CRS after all. If Kountrykamper will weigh in with what was on his 2013 I'll know for sure.

Steve
I stand corrected. Bad guessing on my part. I perused the sold classifieds and from what I can tell from pictures and posts to this thread the scissor jacks were used only on some 2010 model year trailers. Saw them on the 17, 19 and rear of the 5.0. Some 2010's and all trailers older and newer appear to have the C-Jacks.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #20

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
I was at Little House Customs in Texas today to have a few things added to our new 21 and had the intent to change out the levelers for BAL scissors. Larry Gamble looked them over and convinced me there was no need to switch to the scissors jacks. He also assured me that it was OK that holes were drilled in the frame to mount them because, unlike Casitas where you would never want to do that, Escapes frames are more substantial and use different construction. Good news and money savings!
care to share what a brand new 2017 model Escape might need/want from Little House Customs in Texas?
can see Casita needing a visit, but what does the Escape need/want?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote