Scrambled Egg (Our 19) - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2019, 03:06 PM   #141

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
If not a categorized as a "yolk" style coupler, then what does one call the type of coupler in the diagram below that does include a nut for adjusting snugness of the underjaw around the ball (ETI does NOT currently use this type)? We own: 1) two travel trailers, neither coupler is adjustable, 2) two utility trailers, the 10' aluminum single axle has an adjustable coupler, the 16' steel twin axle does not, and 3) one aluminum boat trailer, and its coupler is adjustable. I really don't have a preference as long as the coupler stays attached to the ball.
Attached Thumbnails
Coupler - Adjustable.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #142

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
If not a categorized as a "yolk" style coupler, then what does one call the type of coupler in the diagram below that does include a nut for adjusting snugness of the underjaw around the ball (ETI does NOT currently use this type)?
A fair question - there seem to be distinctive names for oddball designs (including "yoke", not "yolk"), but not for the most common, which that is. eTrailer calls some of them "trigger latch", but that's not consistently used.

From Wiktionary, referring to the part that wraps around the front of the yoke-style couplers:
Quote:
Noun
yoke (plural yokes)
  1. Frame around the neck, and related senses.
    1. ..
    2. ...
    3. Any of various linking or supporting objects that resemble a yoke; a crosspiece, a curved bar etc.
The adjustment is inherent in the common "trigger" design, because some hardware is needed to link the jaw to the part which pulls it up, and a nut on a threaded rod is the easiest thing to use. While the adjustment might seem like an advantage, I think it's really a disadvantage, because it introduces the possibility (or rather, high probability) that it will be incorrectly adjusted.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:18 PM   #143

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
. "yoke", not "yolk" ...
My bad! I was multi-tasking and had just put a fresh dozen eggs in the fridge!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #144

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I wonder if this may have helped...https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...1&&FORM=VDRVRV
Old 04-05-2019, 06:57 PM   #145

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not helped, and possibly made it worse. I doubt if the coupler cap would have withstood the torque of the rolling trailer. And if it did keep the coupler connected during the roll, would it have taken the vehicle with it? I think the hitch performed well. It stayed connected until the trailer rolled, then the trailer pried itself loose, releasing stress from the vehicle, while the safety chains kept the trailer from endangering other travelers.

Maybe some sway control would have kept the trailer upright, but that’s speculation. I’ve seen semis knocked flat on their sides because of wind.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #146

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The Coupler Guard is intended to prevent theft, not de-coupling of the trailer in a crash. More importantly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Not helped, and possibly made it worse. I doubt if the coupler cap would have withstood the torque of the rolling trailer. And if it did keep the coupler connected during the roll, would it have taken the vehicle with it? I think the hitch performed well. It stayed connected until the trailer rolled, then the trailer pried itself loose, releasing stress from the vehicle, while the safety chains kept the trailer from endangering other travelers.
I agree!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #147

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Shared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanover69 View Post
Bob,
I would like to thank you for sharing this experience.
I have come close to this condition and wanted to share

I loaded some bikes on the back of my rig and when a truck passed me there was violent swaying. I was lucky I was going slow. I had a WDH and friction sway

I just wanted to add that a WDH with a Friction sway bar will help control the sway, but if the trailer is loaded wrong it cant over come.

I have though about adding a second friction bar to my setup, but focus heavily on how I load my trailer. I tow an Escape 19 with a Sienna mini van

Bob... I'm not sure the following applies

I saw this video some time back when this happened to me and wanted to share as it visual shows the important of loading

Hope this helps
Thanks for sharing. I saw it a while back but had forgotten about it.
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #148

CAT Scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Have never felt the need to measure tongue weight on our 21 because the bed is foam base with a latex topper and we have all kinds of stuff under the bed and in the front box- another reason am glad we have a Yukon that weighs a 1000 lbs.+ more than the trailer.

So while it is difficult for us not to have enough tongue weight on a 21(even with bikes/full fresh tank) it seems a 19 could be fairly easy to be light as there is a queen bed in the back with storage underneath along with the fresh water tank. Add bike rack and two bikes then it's even more weight off the tongue.
I just want to know my truck weight, trailer weight, and tongue weight. Thus I'll stop as soon as possible at the first CAT scale encountered.
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 04-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #149

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
99kWhile I've not felt the need to weigh I did last May near Libby, MT at a closed scale that one could still use. Trailer was 4400# - which sure seemed heavy to us(Gen1 w/no AC). Tongue weight was 625. Used to travel with minimal water yet for the last two years I keep it full for convenience mostly. I guess moving to Pro Series from Andersen adds some weight as does the 1UP bike rack.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:41 AM   #150

4400# and 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
99kWhile I've not felt the need to weigh I did last May near Libby, MT at a closed scale that one could still use. Trailer was 4400# - which sure seemed heavy to us(Gen1 w/no AC). Tongue weight was 625. Used to travel with minimal water yet for the last two years I keep it full for convenience mostly. I guess moving to Pro Series from Andersen adds some weight as does the 1UP bike rack.
Thanks for posting. I'll respond with my weight sometime after August, hoping for weights less than yours.
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 04-07-2019, 05:44 AM   #151

Stability Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I towed a 17B with a fairly light vehicle (a 2010 RAV 4 Sport (V6 & tow package) for 85,000 miles without sway. Trailer weight was kept at 3010 lbs, tongue weight at 345 lbs. Towing speed was typically 57MPH.

When I switched to a Tacoma, I let the trailer weight go up to 3100 lbs, & the tongue weight to 360 lbs, and I upped the towing speed on interstates to 63MPH. Added another 15,000 miles without sway.

With both tow vehicles, when passed by a truck, bus or class A RV, I would notice a small "wiggle" that did not require any steering correction. I even notice the same thing (maybe a little less) towing the 21 with an F 150. Again, this is not sway, just the effect of the air column pushed by the other vehicle.
Jon, I read your travel blog daily, and have been looking at your pictures with the F-150 and E21, looking to see if you have apparent WDHs or sway bars. I think not.

Do you have an opinion as to whether the F-150 stability control senses a sway and quickly activates the E21 brake controller?

Also, do you have the weight of your E21 along with the tongue weight?
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 04-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #152

Trailer: Escape 21
Wow, so sorry for the OP for having such an unexpected and catastrophic crash. Glad the owner’s have not been hurt.

Likewise, as others have, I’ve also been one who has followed this thread and read every bit of it. It has been a real eye opener, and the information is indeed worthy of taking seriously. In fact, the thread information, along with the explanation from Reace has resulted in me me trading vehicles and purchasing a pickup truck that does “not” have auto leveling shocks. I’ve also added the tongue weight scales to my tool kit.

Having a WDH May never be felt, or never be needed in 1 of 1000 trips, but it’s the 1001st trip that may bring sway, unexpectedly.

Thank you Reace and others on this forum for the timely and informative thread.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #153

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
Jon, I read your travel blog daily, and have been looking at your pictures with the F-150 and E21, looking to see if you have apparent WDHs or sway bars. I think not.

Do you have an opinion as to whether the F-150 stability control senses a sway and quickly activates the E21 brake controller?

Also, do you have the weight of your E21 along with the tongue weight?
I have never had the F150 activate the trailer brakes or, for that matter, the truck brakes due to sway. I've never experienced sway with the trailer.

I started this trip with the E2 Fastway WDH supplied by Escape, and the F 150, but half way through stopped using it to see if there was any difference. While it was necessary with the Tacoma, so far I don't see the need for it with the F 150.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #154

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Apropos of nothing, here is interesting table.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 10.10.30 AM.jpg  
Old 04-11-2019, 11:26 PM   #155

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I want to thank the forum for all the positive discussion this has caused. We are very thankful we were not harmed. It could have been so much worse.

It has been a frustrating experience dealing with CW and the Insurance (State Farm), although I mostly blame CW for not providing the insurance company with information. I believe CW deemed it a "total" and then failed to respond to either me or the insurance company. They blamed it on "waiting for parts pricing" but I believe they just ignored it and me. They did not return my calls or emails.

Regarding the coupler and hitch. The accident happened in Florida and I am in Missouri. I did not get to examine it closely. I believe the coupler distorted and came off the ball. This is probably good as it prevented more damage to the car. The chains remained attached. The frame near the coupler was bent. See picture.

Since the car was a year old, it was not totaled. It should be finished in a couple of weeks.

They are claiming the trailer is totaled. I have sent pictures to Escape for an opinion. I realize pictures are not the whole story, but maybe they will confirm the sad nature. I also sent pictures to a fiberglass boat repair shop I have used in the past and they confirmed it looks bad and is probably better not to repair.

I will provide additional updates. I may in the market for a new or slightly used Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
HitchTank.jpg   Fullside.jpg  
Old 04-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #156

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Just a quick update to close out this harrowing experience.

The insurance company totaled the trailer, which in retrospect is probably the best course. Talking to several fiberglass repair folks it could be a lot of time to restore the fiberglass. In addition, there could be some other damage not obvious.

Getting the value was a bit of a challenge. State Farm uses a third party to provide a value determination. Since Escape does not have a large base and most sales are private (e.g. the forum), there is not a lot of data on resale value. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a third party SF uses and helped them find info on determining the market value.

SF does not offer full replacement insurance, but I was pleased that the value was close to what I paid for it.

We looked at ordering a new one and initially the schedule was a July completion; not too bad considering we waited 9 months for our 19. However, by waiting a few days, the completion date moved out to late August/September. We have some travels planned and that did not work. We were able to find a 21' for sale on the forum (no 19's) so we jumped on it. We are picking it up in May when our car repairs are complete.

On the road, again.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #157

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Wow- bet your are travelling to Reno in May. Strange how things work out and know you will love the new to you 21...and if it is Reno it can't be less used from the description. In any event, glad you can put this in the rear view mirror and get back out there soon!
Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #158

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I'm glad you found a new "home" and I hope the car repair is completed soon!
Old 04-20-2019, 12:58 AM   #159

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
All's well that ends well, thanks for sharing.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:17 AM   #160

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I think you will really like the 21' and all the extra room you get and not climbing over each other to get out of bed.
I've been a State Farm customer for 38 years and most of those with no claims, last year we had a flood in a rental condo we own and just a couple of weeks ago I was rear ended and in both cases dealing with them has not been pleasant. No telling how much money I have paid them over 38 years, most times had a minimum of 4 policy's right now I have 6 through them and after I get this done with my car I'm done with them.
Glad your experience with them has been better then mine. Enjoy the new home on wheels.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote