Screen Rooms? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I've used a Clam, borrowed from a buddy and bought a used Coleman screen house from another buddy, who bought a larger Coleman screen house.

Hands down.....the Coleman. Simple and very quick set up, light weight, great value. Get the larger size. I will, when my slightly smaller unit "gives up the ghost".

Clams are the rage, but big, heavy, long in length, ponderous and hot. If you're looking for something that can convert to colder weather use, or an ice shack, Clam is the way to go. They sell screen covers for wind, rain & cold.

Go light, go quick.
Tell us about the screen material of the Coleman, I assume it is less tight of a mesh? It stops mosquitoes? Which model do you have? Coleman makes a bunch of different ones.

The screens on the Clam and Gazelle probably will stop no-see-ums and the tiny sand flies. Would they be able to pass through the Coleman's screen?
Old 07-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #22

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
What window? It's screen material! Nope, the screens don't open in any way, except for the door panels which can be tied back. But then bugs can enter at will, of course.
Plugging a Camframo fan with a DC extension into one of the outdoor outlets might help.
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Plugging a Camframo fan with a DC extension into one of the outdoor outlets might help.
Hm, maybe if I set up 2 fans, one on one side to suck air through the screen and one on the other side to push it out..... otherwise I'm just recirculating the trapped air that's been heated by the sun beating down on the shelter's roof panel.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:50 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Just like Jim, we also have the small mini clam, the traveler, and find it’s size to be perfect for us. It fits easily into our backseat or truckbed and is easy to set up. We can fit in it (though it’s a little snug) four people sitting in camp chairs, a folding table for playing games or eating, a tiny table that holds a fan and our pup.

We also can use it with a full size blow up aerobed for my daughter and her wife when they are joining us.
Attached Thumbnails
F4F6EE1A-497F-4C40-B2FF-7636D3C72F21.jpg   FAE5A4B7-129D-4927-87C3-D3CFA89AFC3D.jpg  
Old 07-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I m mistakenly ordered a 150" X 150" Clam. Huge, and it doesn't quite fit (by 1") in my F 150 with the six and one half foot bed. I'm going to replace it with the 140" X 140". Anyone want a good deal on a huge Clam? Shipping would probably be a problem ...
Old 07-09-2020, 04:51 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Coleman screen house

Here's an Amazon link for the model I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-10-In.../dp/B00339C3G4

They have larger models, but this will fit 4 chairs easily or over a picnic table. Someday I may get the larger model. I don't know if it will keep no-see-ems out. Probably. Screen material stops mosquitoes for certain.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps the social distancing dance will be around for awhile, making the smaller models more sensible.....two is a couple, three is a crowd......
Old 07-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #28

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Hm, maybe if I set up 2 fans, one on one side to suck air through the screen and one on the other side to push it out..... otherwise I'm just recirculating the trapped air that's been heated by the sun beating down on the shelter's roof panel.
Good thinking, Mike! Fortunately, I already have two Caframo fans (now suctioned to surfaces in my trailer) that will easily detach for use in the screen room. A couple of years ago I built a wood stand to hold one fan and can use the recently-purchased Caframo clip to secure the other to the screen's frame - or to whatever else I might find that will keep it steady. Where there's a will, there's a way!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #29

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We've had the full size Clam for a number of years now. It's a beast to haul and store, and now we only take it to the "Family Campout" for our granddaughter to play in with her cousins/relatives.

A year after purchasing the Clam we bought the five-sided Gazelle at the winter Minneapolis Camper Show. About half the size/weight to carry, but 75% of the interior room. We waterproofed the roof and can be inside the Gazelle in the rain.

We take the Gazelle for the mosquito summers. In the fall/winter we take neither since mosquitoes aren't a problem and sit underneath our manual awning in the rain. Having had both we wouldn't waste our money on the Clam again.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-10-2020, 10:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Here's an Amazon link for the model I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-10-In.../dp/B00339C3G4

They have larger models, but this will fit 4 chairs easily or over a picnic table. Someday I may get the larger model. I don't know if it will keep no-see-ems out. Probably. Screen material stops mosquitoes for certain.
Thanks for that info.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:05 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yup. Bulky and heavy. I've set mine up a couple times in 12 years. Best thing about it is you can easily kill mosquitoes and the like when they find themselves trapped inside.
Hi: gbaglo... These days it's "Me" that's trapped inside. I optioned ours, but have never set it up. We have 3 screen rooms but very little time to use any of them.
It's good to know that mosquitos can't fly in breeze over 3 mph!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
I've had a Clam Quick-Set and now have a (smaller) Gazelle. Both have been good and are quick to set up once you've had a bit of practice, but the fine-mesh screen truly does not allow breeze to come through; therefore they are not useful in weather above 75 degrees (less than that if sunny). Weekend before last, on a windy day (like 25 mph gusts) the interior of the Gazelle was stuffy and no air movement could be felt unless the doorway was tied open.
We have the Gazelle and love it. The fine mesh is effective against all the biting insects. If you have a 25+ mph breeze you probably don’t need the bug protection so why not just sit under the awning for the shade?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
We have the Gazelle and love it. The fine mesh is effective against all the biting insects. If you have a 25+ mph breeze you probably don’t need the bug protection so why not just sit under the awning for the shade?
You're right, and that's why I wasn't sitting in the Gazelle! But it was already set up, and I walked inside it and felt the lack of air movement, so I gave that bit of data to help out the O.P.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:23 PM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I m mistakenly ordered a 150" X 150" Clam. Huge, and it doesn't quite fit (by 1") in my F 150 with the six and one half foot bed. I'm going to replace it with the 140" X 140". Anyone want a good deal on a huge Clam? Shipping would probably be a problem ...
We have the mini Clam and would like to sell it. We now have a screen room with the new to us 5.0TA and it's not bad to set up. Shipping would be easier than Jon's so here you go everyone, two for sale one huge one mini.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:44 AM   #35

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
We had an Escape screen room for our 19' and we loved it. We got very proficient at setting it up and taking down and stowing quickly. I desperately wanted one for our 21', but could not get it. Tried to get an aftermarket which was a disaster. It was lovely because it attached to the trailer which allowed significantly more room and work space particularly in mosquito infested campgrounds. We generally traveled in the summer to do projects with the National Forests' Passport in Time (PIT) projects and would stay in one spot for at least a week or more. The extra mosquito-free (generally) space was greatly appreciated and the finer mesh allowed us to sit outside when it was raining. If they ever get them back, I will have it done again for our new trailer in a heartbeat, damn the cost! The problem with the Clams or other freestanding screen rooms is that they are not very large and do not attach to the trailer, and generally will not allow one to use the awning. And for those who might ask, manual awning, ALWAYS a manual.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:19 AM   #36

Bought one when we ordered our 19 back in 2012. Never taken it out of its bag. Prefer to use an aerosol can I guess.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote