Screen Rooms? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Screen Rooms?

Does anyone have a screen room/ screen tent or whatever its called that they would like to recommend or to say "stay away from this one"? Or has anyone put a screen on the awning? Just thinking about more space when we are out and about.
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 E19
I've had a Clam Quick-Set and now have a (smaller) Gazelle. Both have been good and are quick to set up once you've had a bit of practice, but the fine-mesh screen truly does not allow breeze to come through; therefore they are not useful in weather above 75 degrees (less than that if sunny). Weekend before last, on a windy day (like 25 mph gusts) the interior of the Gazelle was stuffy and no air movement could be felt unless the doorway was tied open.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I've had a Clam Quick-Set and now have a (smaller) Gazelle. Both have been good and are quick to set up once you've had a bit of practice, but the fine-mesh screen truly does not allow breeze to come through; therefore they are not useful in weather above 75 degrees (less than that if sunny). Weekend before last, on a windy day (like 25 mph gusts) the interior of the Gazelle was stuffy and no air movement could be felt unless the doorway was tied open.
HHMMM, thanks for the info.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
Does anyone have a screen room/ screen tent or whatever its called that they would like to recommend or to say "stay away from this one"? Or has anyone put a screen on the awning? Just thinking about more space when we are out and about.
Do you have the manual or power awning?
Old 07-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Do you have the manual or power awning?
manual awning
Old 07-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
manual awning
ETI used to offer an optional screen room for the Carefree of Colorado Fiesta manual awning. Required snaps on the trailer body. Before Tammy and Reace sold the company they had indicated that they were working to restock the screen rooms but I'm not sure where this landed. I don't think they were very popular overall because from what I have read they are bulky and heavy. It seemed that users preferred to set them up only if staying for longer periods of time. Carefree currently makes screen rooms that should be compatible (like Buena Vista+ and Vacation'r) but they look even bulkier and heavier (more vinyl) than what Escape supplied. If you are just trying to block the sun better you might think about the Sunblocker/Sideblocker made by Carefree.

If looking for some shade, bug and moderate wind/rain protection we have the Clam Escape XL with optional side panels. Really nifty how quickly it goes up and down. Need considerable flat area to set it up. Probably don't use it as much as we thought we would.
Attached Thumbnails
screen room.jpg  
Old 07-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Yup. Bulky and heavy. I've set mine up a couple times in 12 years. Best thing about it is you can easily kill mosquitoes and the like when they find themselves trapped inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen room.jpg  
Old 07-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #8

Quote:
ETI used to offer an optional screen room for the Carefree of Colorado Fiesta manual awning. Required snaps on the trailer body. Before Tammy and Reace sold the company they had indicated that they were working to restock the screen rooms but I'm not sure where this landed. I don't think they were very popular overall because from what I have read they are bulky and heavy. It seemed that users preferred to set them up only if staying for longer periods of time. Carefree currently makes screen rooms that should be compatible (like Buena Vista+ and Vacation'r) but they look even bulkier and heavier (more vinyl) than what Escape supplied. If you are just trying to block the sun better you might think about the Sunblocker/Sideblocker made by Carefree.

If looking for some shade, bug and moderate wind/rain protection we have the Clam Escape XL with optional side panels. Really nifty how quickly it goes up and down. Need considerable flat area to set it up. Probably don't use it as much as we thought we would.
Thanks
Old 07-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #9

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
I researched quite a bit before purchasing the 6' square Traveler. It's now out of stock - at Amazon, anyway.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
My wife and I have an REI screen house. We like it although use it mostly to cover bike and chairs if it’s raining. Mosquitos are rarely a problem where we’ve camped. As Mike said about his, ours inhibits air flow somewhat. We learned from experience to store it in a mesh laundry bag between outings. This provides good air flow. Otherwise the screen house gets a musty odor. We also set up and clean it after each trip. Only takes a few minutes.
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Our Clam - in mosquito infested Colorado.
Note the full size USFS picnic table inside, plus room for some camp chairs.
It is also reasonable at keeping out light rain.
Needs a full length pickup truck bed to carry.
Attached Thumbnails
Clam in Yampa.jpg  
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
It is true that screens cut way down on breezes, but isn’t the primary purpose of screens to keep insects from bothering you? You could make a screen room with mesh having the size of chicken wire, and the breeze will not be restricted, but you better have a can of Off handy. If you want breeze, then forget the screen room; it is one less thing to set up, take down, and maintain. Just pick a nice spot for your camp chairs. You can always use the “chemical” screen room (insect repellent) to keep the bugs away. I have a Clam, and would rather be a bit warm and not be dined on by mosquitos rather than being a few degrees cooler but being chewed up. Just my opinion. YMMV!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:04 PM   #13

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Love that your clamshell covers the picnic table, a great option for two or more campers! I chose the smaller version only because I needed one that I could easily manage, as I generally travel solo.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We are pleased with the mini clam, perfect for a couple and their dogs...... Here we are in Osoyoos in 2017 when visited by Adrian and Beth...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC07071.jpg   DSC07075.jpg   IMG_1266.jpg   IMG_1264.jpg  
Old 07-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
It fits straight in my 6 1/2" box, just. While I love using it as it is a great unit, easy and fast to set up, I really don't like the size of it stowed in the truck. It always seems in the way of something.

I have been thinking of moving to the smaller Clam like Jim N has, though it is nice with a group to have a large table inside.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Can you open a window to get some ventilation going?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Screen house

I've used a Clam, borrowed from a buddy and bought a used Coleman screen house from another buddy, who bought a larger Coleman screen house.

Hands down.....the Coleman. Simple and very quick set up, light weight, great value. Get the larger size. I will, when my slightly smaller unit "gives up the ghost".

Clams are the rage, but big, heavy, long in length, ponderous and hot. If you're looking for something that can convert to colder weather use, or an ice shack, Clam is the way to go. They sell screen covers for wind, rain & cold.

Go light, go quick.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
WE have rain panels for our smaller clam which allows 3 season use.....
Old 07-08-2020, 07:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We have a full size Gazelle pop up that fits over the largest picnic table.
It can be warm, but no bugs...is no bugs.
I came across this smaller unit that Costco Canada sells and thought it was a good value at $200.
Attached Thumbnails
8FA312AE-7AF3-4D09-B6E0-74B07E99E26A.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Can you open a window to get some ventilation going?
What window? It's screen material! Nope, the screens don't open in any way, except for the door panels which can be tied back. But then bugs can enter at will, of course.