Seattle to Chilliwack and Back Trailer Pick Up Newbie Advice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Seattle to Chilliwack and Back Trailer Pick Up Newbie Advice

Hi all,
I live in Seattle so I’m very familiar with the traffic, etc. I need a bit of advice for a newbie and the Seattle to Chilliwack and back trailer pick up. I haven’t towed an RV trailer before let alone with my full-size 4x4 and on March 24th I need to pick up my 17B and get it home to Seattle. Couple of scenarios:

>One day up and back trip: Leave Seattle (Ballard area) at about 7:15am and boogie up to Chilliwack for my 11am test hookup and orientation. Back across border for trailer delivery at 2pm (I believe that is when the driver hits Sumas WA?). Hook up trailer and crank for Seattle. Turn off at NE 145th and head west to Greenwood Ave N and down to Ballard. Hopefully home by 5-6pm?

>Overnight trip: Leave Seattle (Ballard area) at about 7:15am and boogie up to Chilliwack for my 11am test hookup and orientation. Back across border for trailer delivery at 2pm. Head for RV spot near Sumas or near Bellingham and overnight. Then up early at 6am Saturday and ease into Seattle.

Is the one day up and back feasible or would you recommend a newbie not attempt it? Reason I ask is my dog. If I do the overnight I’ll have to kennel him Thursday through Sunday as he’s not allowed into Canada (ban on Pitbulls). This means four trips during rush hour traffic to drop him off, get to work on Thursday and pick him up and get to work on Monday. Real PIA. Plus the kenneling is hard on him. If I can make it up and back by say 6pm he’s good in the house.

Once I get the trailer home I’ll test everything. Rather do it then than on the road when I have to remember what to shut off, etc.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Hi all,
I live in Seattle so I’m very familiar with the traffic, etc. I need a bit of advice for a newbie and the Seattle to Chilliwack and back trailer pick up. I haven’t towed an RV trailer before let alone with my full-size 4x4 and on March 24th I need to pick up my 17B and get it home to Seattle. Couple of scenarios:

>One day up and back trip: Leave Seattle (Ballard area) at about 7:15am and boogie up to Chilliwack for my 11am test hookup and orientation. Back across border for trailer delivery at 2pm (I believe that is when the driver hits Sumas WA?). Hook up trailer and crank for Seattle. Turn off at NE 145th and head west to Greenwood Ave N and down to Ballard. Hopefully home by 5-6pm?

>Overnight trip: Leave Seattle (Ballard area) at about 7:15am and boogie up to Chilliwack for my 11am test hookup and orientation. Back across border for trailer delivery at 2pm. Head for RV spot near Sumas or near Bellingham and overnight. Then up early at 6am Saturday and ease into Seattle.

Is the one day up and back feasible or would you recommend a newbie not attempt it? Reason I ask is my dog. If I do the overnight I’ll have to kennel him Thursday through Sunday as he’s not allowed into Canada (ban on Pitbulls). This means four trips during rush hour traffic to drop him off, get to work on Thursday and pick him up and get to work on Monday. Real PIA. Plus the kenneling is hard on him. If I can make it up and back by say 6pm he’s good in the house.

Once I get the trailer home I’ll test everything. Rather do it then than on the road when I have to remember what to shut off, etc.

Thanks!
I wouldn't want to tow for the first time ever through Friday afternoon Seattle traffic. But I also wouldn't want to leave my dog for four days. How about checking on a kennel in Bellingham where you could leave him for one day, go get the trailer, pick up the dog, and camp overnight?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
The up-and-back in one day is certainly doable but as for being a first-time tow and for your peace of mind and much less stress, I think Bobbie has the best suggestion.

Edited: You'd certainly have ample time (most of the afternoon) to unhook and go pick up your dog at a kennel in Whatcom County.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I vote for the one day up and back with your dog situation. You live close enough to Chilliwack that returning later for anything would not be an issue.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We bought our first f.g. trailer in Portland. Left Vancouver with 2 dogs, drove to Portland, bought trailer and returned to Vancouver after clearing it through customs about 10:00 p.m. So Seattle and back in a day seems pretty doable.

Some cities have specific dangerous dog by-laws but I wasn't aware that pit bulls are banned from entering Canada.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I would double check that "pit bull ban". I doubt you would have problem crossing the border. Some municipalities have banned certain breeds, but I would think you have to be a resident for it to affect you.
I don't see anything about pit bulls on Fraser Valley Animal page:

http://www.chilliwack.ca/main/page.cfm?id=2044
Old 03-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
You can go up and back in that time frame, easy. But I can tell you, towing for the first time (any brand, any model) ALL the adrenaline you have will be used up in short order. I had towed a 16' Scamp for 12 years before I picked up Ten Forward at Sumas... towing wasn't the issue. But I was thoroughly exhausted because of orientation and the EXCITEMENT of ownership hit me like a ton of bricks. I was soooo very grateful when I pulled into the RV park I had selected (in Lynden), so I could relax and enjoy instead of worrying about traffic. That extra day(s) and the bit of expense for the park was very much worth it to me. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You will want to talk to ETI about your dog and their dogs. They probably shouldn't meet.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #9

Trailer: Feb 2017 5.0TA "Cackleberry" - 2016 Chevy Silverado
Hi Rick~
We recently picked up our trailer and we started the day before. We had a reservation at the Black Walnut Kennels on the other side of the Lickman exit in Chilliwack-from Escape. We dropped the dog off in the afternoon-boarded overnite (had a 8am orientation) and then picked her up after it and the "exporting" was completed. We stayed another nite at the Best Western and headed home early Sat morning. It really worked out best for us-a little extra time & rest. Driving to the Lynden KOA was our next choice, but we decided to stay another night. Just remembered that the border crossing on Sat morning was at least an hour-so maybe being on the US side for an early start would be better
Congrats!!
Larry & Judy
jensworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
We are trailer newbies and I think one day would have pushed the envelope for us. We drove up on a Wednesday and had the brake controller installed. Thursday at 8, we had orientation but they were running an hour late so it started at 9, don't think we left for the border til 12:30 and met the trailer in Sumas at 2ish. We were beat. We drove around Sumas for awhile and then headed back to Chilliwack for driving lessons on Friday morning and then headed home in dreadful I-5 southbound traffic. If we hadn't had the day, that traffic would have done me in. The orientation was a lot of information and we were very excited and overwhelmed. driving the trailer for the first time was easier then i thought a lot to think about. I think you would be maxed out if you did it in a day and why not start trailer life in a more relaxed state, isn't that what this is all about/
crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I wouldn't want to tow for the first time ever through Friday afternoon Seattle traffic. But I also wouldn't want to leave my dog for four days. How about checking on a kennel in Bellingham where you could leave him for one day, go get the trailer, pick up the dog, and camp overnight?

This is an excellent suggestion. I'll need to call around and see if I can board my dog for a day. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 10:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I would double check that "pit bull ban". I doubt you would have problem crossing the border. Some municipalities have banned certain breeds, but I would think you have to be a resident for it to affect you.
I don't see anything about pit bulls on Fraser Valley Animal page:

Animal Control - City of Chilliwack

So I take that back....my Canada Pitbull ban statement was written very poorly. My apologies for any mis-perceptions I may have caused.

What I meant to say was I'd read that getting back and forth across the border with a Pitbull could be problematic on both sides due to breed and owner perceptions by border patrol.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crnelson View Post
We are trailer newbies and I think one day would have pushed the envelope for us. We drove up on a Wednesday and had the brake controller installed. Thursday at 8, we had orientation but they were running an hour late so it started at 9, don't think we left for the border til 12:30 and met the trailer in Sumas at 2ish. We were beat. We drove around Sumas for awhile and then headed back to Chilliwack for driving lessons on Friday morning and then headed home in dreadful I-5 southbound traffic. If we hadn't had the day, that traffic would have done me in. The orientation was a lot of information and we were very excited and overwhelmed. driving the trailer for the first time was easier then i thought a lot to think about. I think you would be maxed out if you did it in a day and why not start trailer life in a more relaxed state, isn't that what this is all about/
I think you and Donna make good points. I'm rethinking the one day up and back. Might be better to take a breather Friday night and camp at Birch Bay State Park then head home early on Saturday.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
We have the 8:00 orientation on the 24th. So, when you get your trailer I'll have about 3 more hours of experience with an Escape than you.

I've towed a camper about 30,000 miles but that was a small tent trailer behind a motorcycle. I pushed my limits a few times (700+ mile days) but only after I was very comfortable with the bike/trailer set up. That said, this is a whole new ballgame for us.

My advice is leave extra time, plan for delays, and don't push it for a while.

Our schedule for getting to ETI is going to leave us tired. We're pushing the front end of the trip so that we have more time to get back. Between that and the excitement/information overload, we plan to be exhausted. We thought about Birch Bay but if I remember correctly, they don't take reservations. With all that and realizing we wanted the shortest drive we could get, our first day/night we will be staying at the Lyndon KOA. Then we'll head out to Dash Point to meet up with family from Oregon.

If you decide not to head back that night we'd be happy to offer you some wine or a beer at the KOA. Maybe we could compare notes on the orientation.

I don't know KOA's policy on dogs but we love 'em.

Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:21 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I'd call both Customs and see if there is a Pit Bull problem going either way. If it were me I would get myself closer to Chilliwack for orientation to be sure you don't miss it. If you do miss your time, it could cause you to have to go through orientation the next day and that means another $200.00 Customs fee.

This almost happened to me. I was in communication on several occasions with Tammy for my orientation time. Was told 11:00 orientation. I was coming down on the Alaska Ferry which arrives in Bellingham at 8:00am. Its a once a week ferry so the 11:00 orientation was the only one I could make. Well I think Tammy forgot our email and phone conversation ..... and had me on her calendar for the 8:00 time slot. I didn't show. BUT Tammy being a supreme problem solver got hold of the folks that she had on the 11:00 slot and they were able to come early. WHEW! We are sooooo lucky to have Tammy at the co-helm. Reace too! Alls well that ends well.

More to the point: Leaving Ballard at 7:15 likely could cause you to miss your orientation - traffic, weather, some truck driver taking out the Skagit River bridge, customs delays, etc. ... who knows. I'd rather spend the night before at the next door Best Western and have a great dinner at their restaurant. They give discounts to Escape customers and that hotel is dog friendly.

Make time for yourself and pooch and relax .... you'll remember this day for a long time!

Tom
Old 03-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
some truck driver taking out the Skagit River bridge,

Make time for yourself and pooch and relax .... you'll remember this day for a long time!

Tom
Hopefully that won't happen again anytime soon. That really threw a curve on travel.

I agree with that approach, I like to get where I'm going with time to spare. Too many times I've been caught up, stuck and going nowhere, while watching the time tick away on the clock.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
If you decide not to head back that night we'd be happy to offer you some wine or a beer at the KOA. Maybe we could compare notes on the orientation.
Let me find out about the KOA dog situation and a kennel up there for the day. The Lynden KOA sounds better than Birch Bay from a distance perspective and it would be nice to compare notes.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some KOA's have breed restrictions and some will not allow dogs in their cabins, no issue if you are in a rv on the return side, but going up maybe an issue. Best Western next to Escape allows dogs, that is where we stayed with our 2 labs because KOA would not allow dogs in their cabins.
Returning was no issue at any KOA since we had the trailer then.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #19

Yes, as a private business some KOA's and RV parks have breed/size restrictions or no dog policies. I actually bought the camper for my dog. That way when we travel he always has a safe home even if it's a parking lot.

Typically we camp in the back country so these issues don't come up often. And I'm careful what areas I travel through and stop in when on the road.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #20

I would like to thank all of you who contributed to this thread and for your ideas and support. I'm glad I found this forum. It's been a Godsend for my RV education. I am very grateful and hope I can pass on what I have learned when needed.