Security - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2022, 01:00 PM   #41

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I bought the Proven without their puck, and got a puck recommended by the lock picking lawyer. I don’t remember off the top of my head which puck it was, but it is stainless and not cone shaped.
Was it the Mul-T-Lock? Expensive but supposedly one of the best.
https://www.amazon.com/Mul-t-lock-Ho...a-767724090956
Old 11-15-2022, 01:38 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Decoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
If they are addicts looking for their next fix the extension cords are going to be stolen for the copper scrap value.
When you install the tape, lay something along the cord cover to make the tape bulge up and make it look like a bad splice. People who are planning to use the cord may hesitate. If they are meth addicts they will haul your cord to the nearest scrapper. Notify the local police, there is usually a network among junk yards and the police will send out a “be on the lookout for “ message to the scrap yards.
I once located a set of aluminum bleachers that way however they had been sawed up into scrap sized pieces. We got partial payment for them before the perpetrator got caught again, And then the payments stopped.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-15-2022, 03:02 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I am not sure if you can buy one of their assembles without the puck lock…but I would want to get one of these cone puck locks which makes the drilling of the regular flat surface more interesting.
Proven Industries does not sell without a lock but you can always toss the aluminum one and upgrade. The cone version you show is recommended by the lockpickinglawyer but doesn't have any labeling as part of its security. It's known as a PACLOCK.
https://www.amazon.com/PACLOCKs-Amer...link=true&th=1
Old 11-15-2022, 03:58 PM   #44

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
MultiLock sounds familiar for my puck lock. I have matching PacLocks for my storage box and 2 outside hatches. Proven sold me the lock without a puck. I had to contact them. The option was not on the website.
Old 11-15-2022, 04:59 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
, there is usually a network among junk yards and the police will send out a “be on the lookout for “ message to the scrap yards.
I once located a set of aluminum bleachers that way however they had been sawed up into scrap sized pieces.
Iowa Dave
Unfortunately around here there's been some rouge scrap metal places who, shall we say, weren't that civic minded.

Driving by a homeless encampment. Saw a guy with a sledge hammer reducing an aluminum patio set of chairs and table to compact metal. Had the thought that the owner was probably at work and didn't even know yet that his patio set was no more.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:55 PM   #46

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Unfortunately around here there's been some rouge scrap metal places who, shall we say, weren't that civic minded.

Driving by a homeless encampment. Saw a guy with a sledge hammer reducing an aluminum patio set of chairs and table to compact metal. Had the thought that the owner was probably at work and didn't even know yet that his patio set was no more.

Ron
There’s a episode on the Canadian series-Trailer Park Boys-where Ricky is doing some curb alert scrapping. You first bring things from the back patio to the street, now that it’s on the curb it’s all yours.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 07:23 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Proven sold me the lock without a puck. I had to contact them. The option was not on the website.
Good to know. Thanks. I was just basing it off of available options on their website.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:46 PM   #48

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I am not sure if you can buy one of their assembles without the puck lock…but I would want to get one of these cone puck locks which makes the drilling of the regular flat surface more interesting.
There is not much of a credit if you purchase a Proven Industries lock without the puck lock. You may opt to use it elsewhere and try a different puck lock. Paclock makes this one:

https://www.paclock.com/products/2177s/j
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:09 PM   #49
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
There is not much of a credit if you purchase a Proven Industries lock without the puck lock. You may opt to use it elsewhere and try a different puck lock. Paclock makes this one:

https://www.paclock.com/products/2177s/j
I just bought the Proven hitch lock with Proven's own puck. I opted for the black instead of blue, figuring it looked more solid. I also added (on advice here) cheap padlocks on my X-chocks. Both are more than I had on my Casita (which was just the little brass hitch lock that came with it), but the Escape is a fancier rig than the Casita, so might be more tempting to thieves.

Do they steal RVs from campsites? And little fiberglass ones, when there are gigantic Class A motorhomes and 37' Fifth Wheelers just waiting to be nicked? At home our Escape is off in the yard out of sight from the road, so I'm not too worried.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:56 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Thanks for the prod on the security issue. I've been meaning to upgrade the aluminum puck lock that my Proven Industry hitch lock came with to a more secure version. Proven Industries changed the metal and lock tumbler in response to the issues the Lock Picking Lawyer pointed out as noted by Bosnian Bill review on his website. I called Proven to confirm. Just an fyi as I really do think Proven has a superior hitch lock. It sounds like they listen.

Otherwise, I don't leave anything out and obvious when I'm not at the trailer or at night. Just to keep everyone honest. It used to be a campground wasn't a worry. But times have changed.
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Thanks for the prod on the security issue. I've been meaning to upgrade the aluminum puck lock that my Proven Industry hitch lock came with to a more secure version. Proven Industries changed the metal and lock tumbler in response to the issues the Lock Picking Lawyer pointed out as noted by Bosnian Bill review on his website. I called Proven to confirm. Just an fyi as I really do think Proven has a superior hitch lock. It sounds like they listen.
Great info. Thanks! Just be clear you have to buy the 303 stainless steel puck lock to get the enhanced security. The standard 6061 billet aluminum version hasn't changed to my knowledge.
https://www.provenlocks.com/collecti...s/model-400-ss
Old 12-05-2022, 12:44 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post

We also use a Ft. Knox lock on the trailer tongue with their recommended puck lock. We were going to get the Proven Industries lock, but I saw the "lockpickinglawyer" on YouTube drill through their lock in about 30 sec., and the Ft. Knox, while not as elegant looking, should hold up longer than 30 sec.
The Proven lock the lockpickinglawyer got through with a drill had an aluminum puck, just like the Ft. Knox.

Both Proven and Ft. Knox have a stainless steel puck as an option for $99. The Ft. Knox is slightly lower priced, but I don't think it's going to be better than the Proven since it's essentially the same design except yellow
Johnspierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:54 PM   #53

What are people using for locking their wheels? I had my 21NE stolen last summer and will be getting the replacement in early May -- I'm taking no chances this time!

Proven or Ft Knox on the hitch, GPS trackers inside and I want a big honking wheel boot of some sort!
Old 12-05-2022, 01:46 PM   #54
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Brahma wheel lock.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
Brahma wheel lock.
Ah -- I found a video from the manufacturer on youtube and tried to go to their website, but it no longer functions; I guess they might have gone out of business. Too bad!
Old 12-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #56
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
I did a search on our past invoices. BRAHMA was distributed by Classic Industrial Designs in BC. The phone number is on the attached website:
https://www.nexdu.com/ca/burnaby-bc/...es-and-address

I would call him (it was a one person company as I recall when I contacted him a few years ago) to see if he is still in business or was bought out.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:57 PM   #57

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Ahm, I know I'm a newbie with a 5.0 but just don't worry about this issue... Babe in the woods? Perhaps..
Old 12-05-2022, 08:04 PM   #58

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Ahm, I know I'm a newbie with a 5.0 but just don't worry about this issue... Babe in the woods? Perhaps..
Up your insurance coverage would probably be a good move…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:39 AM   #59

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Up your insurance coverage would probably be a good move…
I respectfully do not agree entirely; I would add a personal caveat. It really depends on your outlook. In my case it is age. I have no idea how much longer I will be healthy enough to enjoy the Escape for my intended purposes as I approach the mid 70s. While being reimbursed for one’s loss is a consolation, the current wait time for a replacement Escape is what, 1-1/2 to 2 years. It is not just my trailer that would be stolen; it is a large chunk of my remaining time to do that which I enjoy. So yes, I have replacement insurance that would likely not be used for replacement, but I also have good locks, a GPS tracker, and security cameras that alert me to motion when my Escape is not in use. All of this is with the hope that I will be able to enjoy my Escape for as long as I am able and I would not want to lose any of that time waiting for a replacement.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:51 AM   #60

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I never worried about my trailer being stolen when I kept it in my driveway with just a cheap hitch lock and in the coldest months it was in very secure cave storage so I could keep using it through the winter without winterizing.

Until I moved to another town to a temporary rental house while I build! I store it in a storage facility just three minutes away and in three months it has already been vandalized twice. First time a guy spent a good deal of time cutting through a reinforced fence. Cut off my storage box locks but found nothing to take that would fit in his backpack.

Second time he actually hitched it to his truck but only got 12-18 inches since I decided to finally use the big heavy Brahma wheel lock I had purchased a year or so ago. I had the axle checked and it was slightly bent and easily fixed.

I also had an AirTag inside and now have a Fort Knox hitch lock. I picked this one since it was less expensive than Proven Locks and got the most expensive steel puck they offer since one review said a locksmith who can get into anything in 5 minutes took 2 hours to drill through it.

Since he couldn't steal my trailer he took just one of my 6V batteries leaving me with a useless one and having to buy two new ones. Now I have a cable lock around those...not that secure but a deterrent at best.

I also have a game cam that sends immediate pictures with a cell signal. Can't use it in the wild anymore since the critters chewed up the wire connecting it to a solar panel. Will use it inside the trailer hooked up to the USB outlet.

I think I'm set now. When I build, the trailer will be inside a big garage!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9902.jpg   IMG_9903.jpg  
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote