seeking 5.0 build advice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2022, 05:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 escape
seeking 5.0 build advice

Hello we are about to start finalizing our build for our 5.0 and are seeking advice from the experts out there.
We live in northern canada but plan on using the 5.0 for winters in the southwest US and we predominantly boondock. what are must have and not needed?
We are definitely getting solar panels and lithium batteries. How do escape batteries compare to battleborn?
We are getting spray foam insulation, are heat pads needed?
Most importantly we are seeking advice to make our ushaped dinette cozy, more of a living space than a dining space. What are recommendations for a table that easily slides out of the way or swings down or is removable? We are thinking laguna mount.
Suggestions on countertop or opinions light color versus dark forminca for longevity and appearance showing wear and tear and stains would be appreciated?
Last but not least stovetop with oven? do those of you with ovens find you use them enough? Do you recommend a stovetop other than the options provided by escape?
we are putting in a deeper sink as we know that is a necessity for us.

Many thanks looking forward to your responses!!
tedtucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 06:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Welcome! I will try to answer but can’t give you comparisons. I only know of what we have and impressions after the first year.
- Escape Lithium batteries - worked OK so far. The solar is useful and keeps the batteries charged.
- Have Lagun mount and love it - for the reasons you mentioned.
- Don’t have oven. Have Dickinson Marine cooktop and love it. Strongly recommend.
- Have SeeLevel II. ETI did not install it right but must have figured out by now. After it started working, we like it.
- We don’t find the camera useful but there are strong opinions on both sides
- We had Howser? Sink installed custom. Like it but don’t have the comparison with the stock.
- We had aftermarket AC installed (you might not need it) - Houghton RecPro - and happy with that.
- Have compressor DC-only refrigerator (customization) and love it.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 06:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I just picked up two of these, I upgraded to lithium, they plug the holes needed to vent the acid batteries.
I have a iPad and with the pencil feature it’s very easy to save these suggestions onto my files, start a escape file.
Attached Thumbnails
D64AA762-5332-478E-AF3F-F4F7F8B17627a.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:02 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Suggestions on countertop or opinions light color versus dark formica for longevity and appearance showing wear and tear and stains would be appreciated?

Last but not least stovetop with oven? do those of you with ovens find you use them enough?
We ordered our Formica in Beluga Beige, color #03698. This was in late 2017 before Escape offered a bunch of options, so there was a specific process to have Escape custom-order it and have it delivered directly to the factory.

While we like to think we're not unclean, it is a good choice to keep every little crumb from catching your eye.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Formica 3698 Beluga Beige Swatch.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	61352

Of course, we also ordered custom flooring and fabric to coordinate perfectly and "pull together the whole look"; I would have to check with Mrs. Fifi here about what those selections were.

We really like having the Suburban range with oven. Others here say not so much either due to quality comparisons and, perhaps more often, due to not using an oven.

For one of us, it's wonderful to be able to heat the whole trailer in the morning as we prepare breakfast. (I generally just change into shorts.)
Old 03-13-2022, 08:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 escape
where is the best place to get a Dickinson Marine cooktop? What is the advantage over the Suburban?
tedtucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
On the dinette layout and table options, I was fortunate to be able to get hands-on tours of both types before finalizing my build sheet. I saw pros and cons to each layout and table option (of course! )

I also found numerous threads on this forum where folks have installed a variety of table support types and sizes; threads also about folks doing mods to install 'across the back' seating or lounging platforms to the standard (non-U-shaped) dinette.

I settled on ordering the standard (non-U-shaped) layout and having my standard table delivered un-installed (but with all of the standard hardware in boxes); I can now attest I'm glad for that decision, absolutely no regrets.
  • It's relatively easy to add an across-the-back seating/lounging mod
  • It's relatively difficult to remove the across-the-back section of the U-shaped dinette
  • It's relatively easy to add any size / type of table / mount
  • Removal of any ETI installed table mount will leave some sort of screw-holes to patch
I'm thankful to have probably the most 'flexible starting point', I'm able to enjoy my trailer with that for awhile (using simple inexpensive folding tables). It's giving me the opportunity to mock-up and consider the best 'permanent' dinette / lounging solution for my use-habits as spend time in and I learn about life in my 5.0.

YMMV, just offering for your consideration, Have Fun!
Old 03-13-2022, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtucci View Post
where is the best place to get a Dickinson Marine cooktop? What is the advantage over the Suburban?
We bought it from https://www.stevestonmarine.com/ which was recommended to us - and had it shipped to ETI for installation.

Like I said in my earlier post, I only know what we have. I cannot provide a comparison with Suburban or another brand cooktop.
Old 03-13-2022, 11:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtucci View Post
Suggestions on countertop or opinions light color versus dark forminca for longevity and appearance showing wear and tear and stains would be appreciated?
Hi tedtucci. We won’t receive our 21C until late May, so we can’t provide advice on light vs dark Formica in the trailer. However, once you’ve found your answer you may be interested to know you have MANY choices on Formica colors, designs, and textures.

You, of course, have the standard selections Escape offers. You also have the option to customize by selecting from the Formica website (searching the “Residential” section). As of January when we finalized our build sheet, for $180 usd you can choose any Formica with the -58 texture (matte finish). For an additional $88 usd you can upgrade to most other textures (with just a couple exceptions of ultra high-end textures).

Just thought that might be helpful. Have fun with your build!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:46 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Stay away from heat pads, they are 12v and use a lot of juice to where you need to be connected. If connected you can use an auxiliary electric heater as a go around./
Old 03-14-2022, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Stay away from heat pads, they are 12v and use a lot of juice to where you need to be connected. If connected you can use an auxiliary electric heater as a go around./
Jim,

Does the auxiliary heater you mention heat up the underbody lines and gray, black and city water tanks and prevent them from freezing? When we have camped in temperatures below freezing (not by much and only overnight), we have mainly worried about those things. We have good gear and have experience sleeping in super cold temperatures (Everest area) with high quality sleeping bags. So, what worries us in freezing temperatures is whatever happens to the various tanks and lines feeding them that are largely exposed.

We got the heating pads, thinking that if we needed to camp in a super cold temperatures, we could opt for a commercial campground with hookups and use the pads to keep the underbody stuff from freezing. At least that’s the idea - though we have never needed it and I am not sure what we need to do to turn the heating pads on in such a situation.

You have much more experience and your input will be very helpful. Please note that the OP lives in Alaska part time and might run into cold situations, even if a part of the plan is to spend the winters in the Southern climes.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:34 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My auxiliary heat normally is one of those Cadet wall mounted 120v fan forced heaters mounted in dinette or under the bed, depending on which Escape. https://www.amazon.com/Cadet-CS101-C...ps%2C89&sr=8-3
These heaters heat the interior of the Escape and do not protect the exposed lines if the foam option is not chosen. We have camped down to single digits without any issues with the heat on inside and with the foam option. That was where it went above freezing during the day. If continuous below freezing, I think winterization would be required.
Old 03-14-2022, 02:51 PM   #12

Thank you, Jim!