Seriously...Why? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I found I could jacknife my 21 enough to make the front storage box latch press on the taillight lens JUST ENOUGH to crack it. Missed the sheet metal, though.

Almost did the same thing Charlie, at a tight back in spot in Oregon. Didn't crack the lens, but did put a scuff on it. It bugged out. Lesson learned - the turning radius is limited slightly by having the box.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Almost did the same thing Charlie, at a tight back in spot in Oregon. Didn't crack the lens, but did put a scuff on it. It bugged out. Lesson learned - the turning radius is limited slightly by having the box.

I have a few scratches on my ridgeline tail lights, so I just do less cranking and take more time backing up.

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Got a star in my passenger side tail light; know of another who had to send his Dakota to the body shop when his 19 nicked him.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #64

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
And I'm to assume that the 5.0 owners are chuckling right now, saying "silly people"...?
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
And I'm to assume that the 5.0 owners are chuckling right now, saying "silly people"...?
Or those of us with no storage box to contend with.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #66

Good point. I could to do this all day long. But then, what would the point of that be? We have to make 2 sharp turns to get into our driveway, and now, that box ain't lookin' so special! It's all good info though...
Old 08-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #67

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Quote:
A big factor in our 21 choice over the 19 was the added width (6 inch?) as we can pass each other in the aisle and still not step on the dogs...........
Now that we have used both, this is very noticable difference.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #68
Site Team

"bugged out" should have been "buffed out" - dang autocorrect on my phone...
Old 08-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #69

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Jack knife crushed box lid

Quote:
I found I could jacknife my 21 enough to make the front storage box latch press on the taillight lens JUST ENOUGH to crack it. Missed the sheet metal, though.
Ok, now I'm not feeling so bad after reading some of these posts. I wasn't going to post that I jack knifed the trailer, being a little embarrassed by the event. Even after 24,000 miles towing, I jack knifed the 15 at the Oregon Coast Gathering at Bullard's Beach and crunched a hole in the lid of the box. No excuses, but some things were different. I had the new, Nissan Frontier with rear axle location slightly different than the Santa Fe. Two, I had just reinstalled the Andersen hitch which sits 2 inches closer to the body of the truck than the Equal-i-zer. Three, we have one of the first Andersen hitches and the Red liner material has started to grab more after time (once the trailer starts to turn going the opposite direction does not bring it around.) There is also the problem of having much less distance between the ball and the axle on the 15. It was also a site where the turn in was more than 90 degrees.

It happened quickly, and although I scuffed the tail light, I was able to buff it out. Unfortunately, I put a hole in the lid of the box, so this past week has been learning all about fiber glass repair. Fixing the hole has been no problem, but gel coat, that is another issue. The hard part has been working on the corner of the lid with two surfaces. I am getting there, however.

I almost did it at home parking in the driveway. I just could not get the trailer to go where I wanted until I disconnected the Andersen collar and the hitch was free to just sit on the ball. Then I had NO problems at all. I just received the new BLACK lining material from Andersen and I notice that it is much smoother and harder than the red material. Since we towed with the Equal-i-zer and also backed up on many occasions including with the new tug (Frontier.) I can't help but think that the Andersen is a major part of my problem, especially, since disconnecting the collar made backing up a breeze. Things that make you go, hmmmmmm…….
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #70

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
And I am reading all of this and taking notes. I will be towing the new 21 in 5 weeks and it is cheaper to learn off of others experiences. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #71
Site Team

Smart, Loren. What I learned pretty quick is to take a backing turn in "chunks" instead of all at once, if it required alot of turning adjustment or a severe angle. The box does restrict the tightness of your turn (at least with my pickup) by about 10% or so. Once it rubbed it - once was enough. Never had a problem after that, even in tight situations, because I knew the clearances.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
You can crack a taillight on a RAV4 backing with the front storage box. Don't ask how I know! By the way, I was trying to make a "U" turn in a space too small, and was turned so tight that the inside weight distribution bar fell off.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #73

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
By the way, I was trying to make a "U" turn in a space too small, and was turned so tight that the inside weight distribution bar fell off.
Thanks for that Jon. I will keep that in mind, as I'm not the best backer-upper either!
Old 08-06-2015, 03:57 PM   #74

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i like hauling with a goose neck feels very solid- backing is different then a bumper pull had to get used to it but you can turn them around in a very small area. Once I did it too tight and i smashed the back window of my truck. Also a gooseneck cuts in when you make a turn the trailer turns sharper then the truck so you have to turn a little wide or the trailer ends up rolling over the curb my bumper pull follows my car. Not sure if its the same with a fifth wheel ? Sometimes when i turn my 17 while backing too tight i have popped off one of my stablizer bars haven't hit my storage box yet. My great advice is take it slow don't let others rush you when you have to back out of a tough place all my mistakes were avoidable if i had slowed down and thought my way through the problem.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #75

So here's a leading question...Escape lists the Andersen hitch as an option on their build list. Would that perchance mean that they sell/install the the 5th wheel hitch as well as the trailer WDH?
Old 08-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #76
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I bought the 5th wheel hitch from ETI for Ten Forward and they sent me to the installer right up the road from ETI manufacturing to have it installed. I'm perfectly happy!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:27 PM   #77

Can any type of hitch be used on a short bed pickup, either a 6.6' or shorter? Does the bed length matter?
Old 08-06-2015, 11:04 PM   #78

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Maybe not... at least one has a story about hitting the back of the cab with the Escape. Some also have stories of the trailer hitting the top of the box over humps or through dips in the road.

Quote:
Can any type of hitch be used on a short bed pickup, either a 6.6' or shorter? Does the bed length matter?
For conventional (bumper area) hitches, the truck length and truck bed length don't matter. For a fifth-wheel (or replacements such as the Andersen Ultimate), boxes as short as five feet have been used while placing the hitch far enough forward to work and still far enough from the cab to allow adequate (but still somewhat limited) turning clearance. This clearance issue gets worse the wider the front of the trailer is, so the 5.0TA needs more distance from cab to hitch than the original 5.0.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #79

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
... practice with a dump cart attached to a lawn tractor. Talk about fast response of a trailer to steering changes (it doesn't take much to jackknife a dump cart)...
I agree!

There is an option for those really challenged by backing up a trailer:
articles:
Ford Makes Backing Up a Trailer as Easy as Turning a Knob | WIRED
2016 Ford F-150 “Dials-In” Trailer Backing | Medium Duty Work Truck Info
Ford marketing announcement:
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...akes-back.html
This particular system would not work for the 5.0/5.0TA, because it uses the camera in tailgate and expects the hitch to be behind the bumper.

I assume that this Ford system (and others like it from other manufacturers) will not turn sharp enough to jam the trailer into the tug.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #80

Trailer: 2001 Casita
I'm curious as to the milage difference when going from a bumper pull to the 5.0 TA sitting above the cab.
Marky is offline   Reply With Quote