Set up and tear down order of events? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Posts: 20
Set up and tear down order of events?

New to this hobby (sport??)

Am wondering if other Escape owners have a preferred order of events for set up and tear down operations? I can foresee myself doing something foolish out of order and having to undo other steps. I envision something like this:

Assess site/hookup locations/trailer orientation
Level trailer
Test/connect electric
Water
Awning if needed
Move inside....
etc.

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, my search-fu failed me if so. Came up with a bunch of checklists which is helpful but nothing specific to setting up and tearing down order of operations.

Thank you!
__________________

Jstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 21,959
If you get the EMS by Progressive option then the electrical test is automatic, just hook up and let it do it's job. Water may not be always, you may just fill on board tank and use it or if available hook up water. Word of caution, never leave your trailer unattended with your water hooked up and the spigot is open. If leaving the trailer, turn off your water pump or outside spigot to prevent any flooding issues. Your refrigerator should automatically switch over to 120 if on propane. Enjoy....
__________________

__________________
Jim
Due to the pandemic, my life now exists of only 3 days, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Everything else has been forgotten!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,023
If you prefer to check the electricity with an EMS or meter or by simply hooking up after you back in that’s understandable. If it’s not right there are possible alternatives besides moving to another site depending upon the problem. However, to me, first priority as you start to unhook from your tow vehicle is to set your chocks so the trailer can’t roll. If you have had to use wood or blocks or plastic like and Anderson leveler you’ll probably have already chocked up but if you have a level side to side site but not level front it back you may not have thought of the chocks. Get into the habit of setting the chocks first thing so you don’t forget them. That’s what I do, others may see things in a different order.
Iowa Dave
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:13 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
However, to me, first priority as you start to unhook from your tow vehicle is to set your chocks so the trailer canít roll.

Yep, once the trailer is where I want to park it, I put those chocks in place. I also have to make sure the tire valve isn't in the way for when I use the Nemesis tire clamp (not always used). And then lower the step so it's easier to get in and out of the trailer.



Then plug in power. Then unhitch if doing so (if staying one night, nope don't unhitch unless it's really uneven, which isn't never been that bad). That way the fridge has time to switch over while I'm unhitching the trailer. Unplug the power to the truck. Take off the weight distribution bars. Take off the chains and runaway thingie. Unhitch from the truck. Move the truck forward.


Before I unhitch I do check to see if the spot is fairly level and if not, if there's an area that will be more level than where I'm at. Not always possible, but sometimes I can find a better spot.


Level the trailer if need be with ones from Purple Line. Install the tire clamp (also from Purple Line). Hook up water and sewer.


By this time I've checked and the fridge is running off a/c, so I plug in the electric heater to warm it up (if needed). Turn on the hot water heater right after plugging in power so it can start warming up that water so I can clean hands after all the set up work and they won't freeze from the cold water.


And if I pull in super hungry, after plugging in power and turning on the hot water heater, I stop to eat. Can't have low blood sugar and all that.


And, it never fails, after I'm all settled in, with my slippers on, I usually remember that I forgot to flip open the flap over the stove vent. And it's usually dumping rain by this point. Even though I have a note on the top of the stove exhaust on a magnet that says "vent open/closed" (depending on which side is flipped up). Yep, never fails. The times I remember are less than the times I forget. LOL
__________________
Laura, Dirk and Spike & Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
My blog: https://www.underkittysupervision.co...upervisioncom/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:38 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hudson, Ohio
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Yep, once the trailer is where I want to park it, I put those chocks in place. I also have to make sure the tire valve isn't in the way for when I use the Nemesis tire clamp (not always used). And then lower the step so it's easier to get in and out of the trailer.



Then plug in power. Then unhitch if doing so (if staying one night, nope don't unhitch unless it's really uneven, which isn't never been that bad). That way the fridge has time to switch over while I'm unhitching the trailer. Unplug the power to the truck. Take off the weight distribution bars. Take off the chains and runaway thingie. Unhitch from the truck. Move the truck forward.


Before I unhitch I do check to see if the spot is fairly level and if not, if there's an area that will be more level than where I'm at. Not always possible, but sometimes I can find a better spot.


Level the trailer if need be with ones from Purple Line. Install the tire clamp (also from Purple Line). Hook up water and sewer.


By this time I've checked and the fridge is running off a/c, so I plug in the electric heater to warm it up (if needed). Turn on the hot water heater right after plugging in power so it can start warming up that water so I can clean hands after all the set up work and they won't freeze from the cold water.


And if I pull in super hungry, after plugging in power and turning on the hot water heater, I stop to eat. Can't have low blood sugar and all that.


And, it never fails, after I'm all settled in, with my slippers on, I usually remember that I forgot to flip open the flap over the stove vent. And it's usually dumping rain by this point. Even though I have a note on the top of the stove exhaust on a magnet that says "vent open/closed" (depending on which side is flipped up). Yep, never fails. The times I remember are less than the times I forget. LOL
Pertaining to the stove exhaust flap we have found a good way to remember to close it before leaving. I have a small, inexpensive thermometer I hang from a short string attached to a spring style clothespin. When I open the vent I clip in on the vent cover outside. This way it is so obvious the flap is open that there is almost no way to forget it's open. You also have a small thermometer outside to check the temperature.
__________________
Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before.
-Ohio Ralph-
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
P&L
Senior Member
 
P&L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tracy, California
Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Posts: 279
This is probably a given to others, but it wasn't for me! Level the trailer first and then put down the stabilizers!

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:02 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Trailer: Escape-21 'on order'
Posts: 326
Wink setup

1 find the site
2. walk the site..looking for problems b4 backing in
3. check the 2 walkie talkies for function
4. wife goes the back end of site
5. disconnect sway bar, if necessary
6. back in using walkie talkies for directions
7. get out and LOOK at the site after YOU back in
8. chock wheels..both sides
9. if not level side to side, add leveling blocks to "low side" by pulling forward 2 feet, then back over yer blocks..and repeat til you get 'er done
10 . put front jack foot down on a wood block...& raise tongue a tiny bit to take tension off hitch
11. unhitch by raising latch and then raising tongue w jack
12 unplug the 7 pin plug and disconnect hitch
13. drive forward a couple feet to allow walking space in front of trailer tongue.
14. swear bks YOU 4got and brushed against greasy hitch ball
15. level front to rear w jack on tongue..we like a bit of head UP in the front bunk for comfort.
16. pick 7 pin cable up out of mud and wrap around trailer tongue.
17. secure trailer hitch as needed
18 install hitch lock(s) onto trailer tongue.
19. install locks to wheels, if any
20. test elec outlet and hook up if OK..we use a dog bone tester/ surge protecter
21. hook up water line..use pressure reducer thingie and Camco FILTER..make sure filter is in proper direction for water flow
22.Open and enjoy cold adult beverage.
23 place the 4 screw jacks, IF you use them
24 open another adult beverage..you earned it.
25. frig to AC
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:05 PM   #8
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,873
Humm, I test the power at the power pole before I unhook/level, etc. I've had to move twice due to bad power and don't want to redo hooking up. YMMV
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 14,666
You don't appear to have safety chains since you don't disconnect them.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,023
Between 12 and 13 it would be good to unhook safety chains. And breakaway brake (switch) otherwise they might throw you out of the campground for swearing or sobbing uncontrollably.
��
Iowa Dave
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:24 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 14,666
Also, I'd not place a lot of confidence in the walkie talkies. I'd start with a conversation with the person guiding you as to what you expect from them. I've told my buddy to stop trying to show me which way to turn the steering wheel ( which is reversed in my mirror ). All I need from him is to point the direction I am to move the rear of the trailer.
I place my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, face up. If my guide points to the left, I move my hand to the left, and the trailer moves to the left. It's simple. And, that is good.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:41 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 5,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstan View Post
New to this hobby (sport??)
Way of life?

Nothings set in stone. After the first few times you'll develop a routine that works for your circumstances.

One decision to be made before leveling is, are you going to detach the tug?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:05 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Trailer: Escape-21 'on order'
Posts: 326
Talking walkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Also, I'd not place a lot of confidence in the walkie talkies. I'd start with a conversation with the person guiding you as to what you expect from them. I've told my buddy to stop trying to show me which way to turn the steering wheel ( which is reversed in my mirror ). All I need from him is to point the direction I am to move the rear of the trailer.
I place my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, face up. If my guide points to the left, I move my hand to the left, and the trailer moves to the left. It's simple. And, that is good.
We use the walkies bks cell service is iffy in MANY campgrounds. Wife sez 'driver side' if the trailer needs to go that way and Passenger Side if it needs to go THAT way..works for us.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:28 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 14,666
Whatever works. I'm looking in my mirror and my guide is pointing to the direction the trailer should move. I don't have to fiddle with my FRS radios and turn the wheel and look in the mirror and keep an eye on the front fender of the tow vehicle.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:49 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 14,666
Here are two links to video instructions on hand signals for backing vehicles.

__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Trailer: Escape-21 'on order'
Posts: 326
Talking UNhitching?

I 4got the bit about chains....of course the chains and safety wire come between unlatching and moving the TV. Darn..it's been 7 months since we sold our Casita and ordered the new E21 and the brain is a bit rusty. ;-) ....Just call me "Biden of Camping" I guess.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 2018 17A
Posts: 84
Been waiting for someone to say: ETI has (used to at least) a checklist for set up/departure that worked well as a starting point for us.
__________________

noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×