Shake Down Cruise - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Shake Down Cruise

We picked up our 19 in Sumas WA on March 29 and started our shakedown cruise. After almost 5,000 miles traveling coast to coast, we arrived back in FL on April 24. This was a pretty good shake down with a mix of boon docking and RV parks, mountains, plains, 2 lanes and Interstate highways. I thought I'd share my thoughts on both the Escape 19 and our tow vehicle since both are fairly new to us.

Tow Vehicle - 2017 Nissan NV 3500 Passenger Van, V8 Engine, 7 speed transmission, tow package. I can't say enough good about this van as a tow vehicle. It is comfortable to drive and ride, has tons of power and space. In it's stock configuration, it seats 12. We removed the last row of 4 seats and built in a storage "box". This left us room to transport 8 (including driver) and have a bunch of usable storage in the back. The van pulled every mountain without overheating or even straining. We try to cruise at 60 MPH to relax and see the world around us. At this speed, the engine is around 1,600 RPM, barely working. This gave us an average of 14 or 15 MPG. Some tanks saw as high as 17 MPG in flat areas and as low as 11 in the steep grades of Northern California and Oregon going through the Redwoods. My wife said, as she was driving, "You can't even tell the trailer is back there.". If you're looking for a tow vehicle, I can highly recommend the Nissan NV 3500 Passenger.

Trailer - 2018 Escape 19: Downsizing from a large well built classic Wanderlodge Motor Coach, I was worried that I would feel cramped in a 19 foot trailer. I'm very happy to report that this was not the case. We were extremely happy with our choice. After the first couple of nights adjusting, we felt very comfortable. Yes, it's smaller, but we adapted.
Bed: The queen bed, stock mattress, is very comfortable. I'm a big guy and my wife is average build. We were both comfortable in the bed and remarked how well we slept every night.
Bath/Shower: For me, the shower is too small so I never used it. This is not unusual for me, even in the big class A, I would often used the RV Park showers. My wife did not shower in it either, not because of space but to conserve water and gray tank space. The toilet worked quite well, no complaints here, other than space, and this really isn't a complaint, more of an observation.
Kitchen: The kitchen area is small but adequate. We hadn't taken all of our kitchen utensils so we didn't cook as much as we normally would, but it was fine. The sink was good for washing dishes, etc. No complaints. My wife made a paper towel holder/towel rack by taking on of the refrigerator "retaining rods" and putting it between the range hood and cabinet support to the left of the range. Originally she thought this would be temporary but it worked so well it will probably be a permanent fixture.
Dinette: We have the standard table that slides back and forth. This works fairly well but is kind of flimsy if someone puts their arms on the table. To make the are more usable, we'll probably make our own table top that is much smaller and just sits on one of the legs. One negative are the bottom seat cushions. These are way too soft. After sitting on them for a while, you're right on the plywood underneath. I'll probably have much denser foam put in these cushions and that should resolve the problem.
Storage: We found the storage adequate for our needs. My cut is, if you can live it if for a month, you're good to go. We had plenty of storage for clothes under and over the bed. We found lots of room for kitchen utensils and food. No complaints here.
CPAP: I use a CPAP machine while sleeping. I had ordered an extra outlet and "gromet" above the bed to facilitate the electrical needs of the CPAP and allow the hose to come out of the cabinet above my head. These were both placed on the front of the cabinet and work well. That said, I wold have preferred that they put them on the bottom of the cabinet instead of the front. This would allow for cleaner routing of the hose and power cord.
Towing: This trailer tows like a dream. As previously stated, you hardly notice it's behind you. It tracks right behind the van. Two big thumbs up in the towing department.
Tires/Lug Nuts: Per instructions, I periodically re-torqued the lug nuts to 95 foot pounds. While I never found any of them "loose", sever went 1/4 turn or so when before reaching the specified torque. In my opinion, you really need to do this to avoid a problem down the road. Tires held up well, no complaints here.
E2 Load Balancing/Anti Sway Hitch: As reported, the trailer towed beautifully, no sway even in very high cross winds. We did have 1 problem. We started noticing loud grinding sounds from the hitch area when we made sharp turns. Turns out the brackets installed on the trailer tongue had slipped or "walked". The passenger side was at almost a 45 degree angle and the driver side was slightly off. The end result was that the "L" brackets were severely worn. I took pictures and contacted Escape Customer support. They put me in touch with the company that makes the hitch and within 2 hours, they had contacted me. They ended up sending new, heavier duty brackets to my house, which were at my doorstep when I got home. We re-adjusted the original brackets to make it home, using Lock Tite on the bolts to make sure they didn't loosen up. I now have to clean and repaint the trailer frame where the sliding brackets scraped the paint off, and install the new, stronger brackets. The support was very fast and efficient. NOTE: When we re-positioned/re-torqued the original brackets, we found that the outside nuts were loose enough to turn by hand. These are nylock nuts, I have no idea how they got loose, but they were. If you have this hitch, I suggest you have a look at this once in a while to make sure there is no problem.
Refrigerator: We chose the smaller refrigerator. This worked very well for us. While towing, we ran it under propane, never had a problem. We asked about running it on DC. We were told that running the fridge on DC WILL NOT COOL THE FRIDGE DOWN, run it on propane.
Propane: After almost a month of travel, running the fridge on propane and using furnace and water heater, we still have propane in the original first tank. We had a lot of cold nights where the furnace ran a lot. No complaints here.
Tanks: The tanks are up to the task of boon docking for several days. Note, we didn't shower so gray water never filled up. My only complaint is that the gray water tank drains very slowly, even when the trailer is level. Is this common to other 19s?
Optional Storage on Front: Great addition, would not want to be without it.
Propane Tank Cover: Literally wedged in between the storage box and the electric jack. Would like to see a little better solution in this area.
Electric Jack: Works great!
TV: My bad, I didn't take a TV to have them install. I must have misunderstood. I'll install myself, shouldn't be a big deal.

I think that pretty much covers it. I hope this helps some other folks in the decision making. Overall, we had a great trip and are ready to hit the road again.

If you have questions, please ask, I'll try to answer as best I can.

Dan
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Good summary Dan. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
My only complaint is that the gray water tank drains very slowly, even when the trailer is level. Is this common to other 19s?

Dan
Nice comprehensive summery and others waiting to do their maiden voyage might find it useful and put some of their fears to rest.

Short answer for the grey water tank question. Yes. The reason is that the drain is on the side of the tank. As the fluid level descends lower the available cross-sectional area decreases and the drain rate slows. Nearing the end it's agonizingly slow. Many either say, at some point, "good enough" or put a block under the wheels on the other side to speed up draining.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:41 AM   #4

Sounds great! Thanks for posting.
We pickup our 21' in June !
Old 04-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
FYI, Escape will/can not install electrical on the underside due to RVIA rules/regulations, I'm told. Everything on the face plates. Something you can do now. Good summary of your impressions.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
My only complaint is that the gray water tank drains very slowly, even when the trailer is level. Is this common to other 19s?
Dan: Nice write up. Thanks for taking the time.

As far as the gray tank draining slow I have a theory that worked at least for a 21 based on response from Iowa Dave....pull the shower drain. Many people don't know this, but Escape originally had a dedicated gray tank vent/overflow in the wheel well on the passenger side that was omitted at some point. If the tank can't replace the water with air it isn't going to want to drain. If you try this please report back if it seems to work.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post244494
Attached Thumbnails
gray water overflow.JPG  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Dave if I can remember definetly going to give that a try . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post

As far as the gray tank draining slow I have a theory that worked at least for a 21 based on response from Iowa Dave....pull the shower drain. Many people don't know this, but Escape originally had a dedicated gray tank vent/overflow in the wheel well on the passenger side that was omitted at some point. If the tank can't replace the water with air it isn't going to want to drain. If you try this please report back if it seems to work.

Just don't forget to close or stinky gray water in your shower.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:09 PM   #9

On my trailer, at least, ETI went to a dedicated roof vent for the grey tank. That's the green/white hose from the kitchen sink which goes to a vertical vent from the tank to the roof.

This is what I mean about diminishing drain size as the level gets down to below the top of the drain pipe. At some point it must approach infinity. Before then I've probably said "good enough".

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
22-11-2014 4-34-12 PM2_resize.JPG   IMGP0013_resize.jpg  
Old 04-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Am surprised to hear the seat cushion foam being soft. Ours were very firm and still are supportive almost four years later.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
On my trailer, at least, ETI went to a dedicated roof vent for the grey tank. That's the green/white hose from the kitchen sink which goes to a vertical vent from the tank to the roof.
On newer trailers it appears that roof vent is gone and doubt they went back to the wheel well style vent like mine. Interesting.

I agree with the less than ideal grey tank drain line in side of tank. Would be much better off the bottom, but I’m sure they wanted to keep plumbing as high as possible.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:40 PM   #12

Trailer: None now
Quote:

I wonder if any of the people who installed hepvo devices can report if the grey water dump is any faster since it should induce air into the tank as it drains. If it does I know what my next mod is going to be.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:48 PM   #13

I can not see the Hepvo making any difference in draining your grey tanks as it is closed all the time unless liquid is going thru the valve.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #14

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I can not see the Hepvo making any difference in draining your grey tanks as it is closed all the time unless liquid is going thru the valve.
Air or liquid, both should move the little flaps.
If it would not pass air then it should have trouble with liquids too.
It's just a fancy one way valve.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:11 PM   #15

So you are saying that draining the tank will create a vacuum that will open the hepvo valve under the sink? Seems logical.....
Old 04-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Am surprised to hear the seat cushion foam being soft. Ours were very firm and still are supportive almost four years later.
Ross on our 2013 we added more cushioning. The bottoms are now 6 in thick . I know Laura complained with her cushions and had them redone . Could be variables in cushions or some have a small butts . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #17

Quote:
On newer trailers it appears that roof vent is gone and doubt they went back to the wheel well style vent like mine. Interesting.

I agree with the less than ideal grey tank drain line in side of tank. Would be much better off the bottom, but I’m sure they wanted to keep plumbing as high as possible.
Just a wild guess but if they've done away with the actual roof vent I'm guessing the hose goes to a vertical pipe with a cheater valve on top, just under counter top level They work well and I'd rather have one of those than another hole in the roof.

Heck, the vertical vent hidden under the closet doesn't even have a cheater vent on top. Who knows. We won't know unless someone does the "making more space mod" under the sink.

Ron
Old 04-30-2018, 10:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Just a wild guess but if they've done away with the actual roof vent I'm guessing the hose goes to a vertical pipe with a cheater valve on top, just under counter top level They work well and I'd rather have one of those than another hole in the roof.

Heck, the vertical vent hidden under the closet doesn't even have a cheater vent on top. Who knows. We won't know unless someone does the "making more space mod" under the sink.

Ron
Ron: Good point. They may be handling it differently.

The whole thread on the pipe under the 19 wardrobe still has me scratching my head. I just don’t understand the inconsistency. I bought an air admittance valve thinking I’d need one but when I removed the furnace switch and peeked in the hole I could just barely see markings on a valve (J&B Products Pro Vent 140). I still wonder if some were just missed in production because our 2010 has one, but the other threads indicate two 2014’s didn’t have one. At the kitchen sink a 2008 17 didn’t have one but a 2017 17 does.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
We tried opening the shower drain but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I'll send an email to Escape and see what they say. I'll post the response.
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Ron: Good point. They may be handling it differently.

The whole thread on the pipe under the 19 wardrobe still has me scratching my head. I just don’t understand the inconsistency. I bought an air admittance valve thinking I’d need one but when I removed the furnace switch and peeked in the hole I could just barely see markings on a valve (J&B Products Pro Vent 140). I still wonder if some were just missed in production because our 2010 has one, but the other threads indicate two 2014’s didn’t have one. At the kitchen sink a 2008 17 didn’t have one but a 2017 17 does.
Something to donate at the next rally's "free for all" tarp collection.....