Shelf above bed in 21c - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
CJW

Trailer: 2021 21C
Shelf above bed in 21c

Can anyone tell me how high above the bed the shelf is in the 21C when you do not have the front window. Can you sit up and read with it installed?
Thanks!

"you don't stop hiking because you grow old, you grow old because you stop hiking"
CJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
This might help you:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post156986

Direct link to post with measurements that NW Cat Owner references in thread above:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post153157

Can't vouch for any exact measurement but many owners have indeed omitted the shelf to sit up in bed without interference.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Another option is have the front window and put cubbies at the sides. We can still sit up and read or watch TV. With a pillow there it's a non-event.

Don't sell the front window short. I like it because it gives me visibility towards my truck and I can see out in all 4 directions without going outside. But another plus that I've come to realize is that there are some locations where, when you're sitting on the PS in the dinette, there's a view to look at rather than a blank wall.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P3280002_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
CJW

Ron in BC - You have a couple of great reasons to get the window - we were going to get it, then not, then yes, then not and now probably YES LOL. I always liked the idea of more light. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #5
CJW

Rubicon 327 - those measurement are indispensable - a great big THANK YOU!
Old 10-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #6
CJW

Ron in BC - did Escape make those cubbies for you or are you a master carpenter?
Old 10-26-2020, 09:18 PM   #7

I made them. I'm no master carpenter, I just like to putter away on projects.

Ron
Old 10-27-2020, 12:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I am 6 ft and have no trouble sitting up and reading in bed. I like the shelf and where we park our trailer I prefer having the light at the end of our trailer on all three sides. Having a meal there or cuppa we are looking out at the lakes we visit. Don’t need light in our bedroom.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:33 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Another option is have the front window and put cubbies at the sides. We can still sit up and read or watch TV. With a pillow there it's a non-event.

Don't sell the front window short. I like it because it gives me visibility towards my truck and I can see out in all 4 directions without going outside. But another plus that I've come to realize is that there are some locations where, when you're sitting on the PS in the dinette, there's a view to look at rather than a blank wall.

Ron
If we were getting a 21 which, we aren’t , happy with our 19 ,would definitely have the front window . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:49 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:

Ron
Ron ; Is the front window a thermo pane ?— Is it operable ? —-Is there any condensation issues in colder weather ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
We have the shelf, no window. I would prefer not to have the shelf as I like to sit up and have a coffee and read in the morning. You do need to come up with some thing for the glasses, book ect. There are many things you can do to solve that issue. I would not like the window over the bed as I do not want more light there. A window over the drawer stack would be great for letting more light into the center of the trailer. Too many choices.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #12

The front window on all Escapes are single glazed because of the rock guard.

I've previously posted this but, briefly, knowing our warm moisture ladden breaths would be directly below a single glazed window, made an inside storm window.

It's not a sealed unit and I expected to have to remove it and dry it. That's never been required and our last rainy cold trip showed that it works better than the double glazed window along side the bed. One mod that's paid off. Darn'd if I can the photo that shows the difference.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0023 (2)_resize.jpg  
Old 10-27-2020, 01:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:

Ron
We have the 5.0 and there have been times I would have liked the front window as well.

With the 5.0 I'd venture that a different glass would be needed (similar to windshield) due to it would be inconvenient to open the rock guard on a 5.0.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
shelf??

WE had ETI d/c that front shelf, bks w e ordered the front window. IT looked like the shelf wd hit me in the back of the skull anyways, if we got it,
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote