Sightseeing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2020, 10:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA "Catalyst"
Sightseeing

Assuming that things have begun to return to some degree of normalcy, I plan on picking up my 50 in early August. Because I have never been to the Northwest, I am planning on a lengthy trip. I will be truck camping with my dog on the way to ETI and plan on meandering through the Dakota Badlands and Black HIlls before seeing Glacier National Park. (Yellowstone will be on the way back home to Missouri.) If I cross the US/Canadian border at Roosville, I could wind my way through the Southern part of BC on Hwy 3. I have heard so much about the beauty of the region. I've lived in Colorado so I have mountain driving experience but I don't know what to expect of the Canadian Rockies. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this route? Is there something that I shouldn't miss or should miss? Thanks for your advice.
Cleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We really like Custer State Park, especially the Legion Lake Campground.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Going along Highway 3 in southern BC is just another great way to see a part of BC. The Kootenays are one of my favourite areas to visit, there is so much beauty in the area, along with lots of nice towns and things to see and do. Lots, lots more good stuff too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Cleta,
When you say truck camping, I'm assuming you and the dog are sleeping inside or staying at a cg like KOA? Going out w/o the trailer, try to drive Beartooth Highway, it may not be as nice towing, so I suggest you drive it on way out. You can see Yellowstone NP at the same time. Glacier NP you may want to hit on the return side with the trailer as there are plenty of nice cg near it. Be sure and bring your senior pass for national parks https://www.nps.gov/goga/planyourvis...enior-pass.htm
Old 04-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Cleta,
When you say truck camping, I'm assuming you and the dog are sleeping inside or staying at a cg like KOA? Going out w/o the trailer, try to drive Beartooth Highway, it may not be as nice towing, so I suggest you drive it on way out. You can see Yellowstone NP at the same time. Glacier NP you may want to hit on the return side with the trailer as there are plenty of nice cg near it. Be sure and bring your senior pass for national parks https://www.nps.gov/goga/planyourvis...enior-pass.htm
Thank you all for your suggestions. I am really looking forward to this trip. Now, what makes you so sure that I am eligible for a Senior Pass?
Old 04-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
We really like Custer State Park, especially the Legion Lake Campground.

Custer is one of our favorites too, we stayed at and liked Blue Bell CG, not that we tried any others. Drove the wildlife loop at dawn and dusk every day, and there are many places worth day tripping to from the park. Mt Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis, Badlands, Wall Drug, Needles Highway, Crazy Horse Memorial, and Wind Cave NP.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Custer is one of our favorites too, we stayed at and liked Blue Bell CG, not that we tried any others. Drove the wildlife loop at dawn and dusk every day, and there are many places worth day tripping to from the park. Mt Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis, Badlands, Wall Drug, Needles Highway, Crazy Horse Memorial, and Wind Cave NP.

We concur. There's lots to do, and plenty of history to absorb. Also, there's the Black Hills Central RR to ride from Hill City to Keystone. the route goes right by a tungsten mine, of all things.
And that reminds me, the South Dakota School of Mines and Archeology in Rapid City has an outstanding geology and paleontology museum.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
You will have no problem driving Rte. 3 having lived in Colorado. A flat lander with no mountain driving experience might panic. You will, however, note far fewer guardrails in BC than you typically see in places in the US. You can also pick it up by crossing into Creston in Northern Idaho.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
We camped in near-by Black Hills National Forest, not Custer SP, but purchased a week pass because it had so much to offer - including great hiking, wildlife and best of all, nice showers, plus it allowed us to drive shorter routes to various destinations. A real bargain!
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleta View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. I am really looking forward to this trip. Now, what makes you so sure that I am eligible for a Senior Pass?
Just a lucky guess as most owners are retired....if not I apologize.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just a lucky guess as most owners are retired....if not I apologize.
LOL, you are correct, I just couldn't resist. I come from a large family and we never let an opportunity to tease each other so it is a habit of mine.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #12

Wow, so many good ideas. I may have to leave in early July.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #13

Be sure and take some relative bearing oil with you for that important bearing you will need.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Cleta yes to hwy 3 through BC. Depending where you stop after Glacier I would certainly recommend Yahk provincial park where we stayed on our way from from the Escape rally in 2017. We had a lovely site right by a rushing river, no power but doubt you'd be looking for that if just truck camping on your way to Escape. We found driving #3 much better than #1 on our way west as it's not nearly as busy.

We did the Black Hills last year, definitely stop there, it can be very touristy at Keystone/Mt. Rushmore but otherwise it's worth the visit and you can do the scenic roads with narrow tunnels with no issues since you won't have the trailer yet.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote