Single axle 17 vs dual axle 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 19' - Picking up November 29, 2017
Single axle 17 vs dual axle 19

I read a little bit about the possible desirability of the single axle 17 over the dual axle 19 on washboard, forest service roads, and other undulating less than great roads. I was about to order the 19 until I read a little bit about this and the stress that a dual axle set can place on the frame and body of the trailer. Is there any concern here or is it just something to discuss and debate. Someone claimed they even broke one of the new awning style insulated windows because of this. My wife and I like to boondock and prefer to go where others don't. That's not to mean that we look for the worst roads or 4x4 only roads but we do end up down some very washboardy and uneven roads. Would appreciate some good input . Thanks
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Dan, I'd be far more concerned with choosing the size and layout you like best. Whether you tow a single axle or tandem, the key on rough terrain is to take it slow - much slower than most people have a tendency to travel.

This is also a case where you might benefit from the high lift axle option, which will give you about 2 more inches of ground clearance.

Oh, and one more thought: you'll also be towing on smooth roads, and probably for a larger portion of your trip. We love how a tandem axle trailer tows, particularly when the road is normal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 02:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Spray foam insulation underneath! Especially when driving gravel roads.
We have a 19, doing gravel and what not, and love it. Like said: take it slow and you will do fine with a tandem axle.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:13 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yup, you can discuss and debate it all you want. But, for myself, having towed from Alaska to Baja, on roads of every type where washboard was the least of my concerns, there's no contest. Also, if I drop a wheel into a pothole the other wheel lessens the impact.

Good advice to choose the size and layout that works for you. The trailer will take of itself.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:41 AM   #5

I was absolutely going to get the high lift axle. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Spray foam insulation underneath! Especially when driving gravel roads.
We have a 19, doing gravel and what not, and love it. Like said: take it slow and you will do fine with a tandem axle.
That's a thought. I've read it's kind of ugly - hangs down and makes access difficult if you need to repair something under there. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
Old 05-31-2017, 09:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
Good Morning

We have a 19'. I have towed single and dual axles on rough roads. As mentioned in previous posts driving slower is key on rough potholed or wash board roads.

BUT, in my opinion I like the tandem axle on rougher road as the extra set of wheels tend to soften out the deeper ruts.

Most importantly get the floorplan you desire (unless it is a 35' luxury trailer) and drive with care and common sense. Enjoy the scenery!

Shannon
smac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, you can discuss and debate it all you want. But, for myself, having towed from Alaska to Baja, on roads of every type where washboard was the least of my concerns, there's no contest. Also, if I drop a wheel into a pothole the other wheel lessens the impact.

Good advice to choose the size and layout that works for you. The trailer will take of itself.

Ron
Thanks
Old 05-31-2017, 10:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I have a layout comment. I really wish the bed, bathroom, and dinette were all two inches wider. That all happens on the 19. Also, the utility of the cabinet under the sink is annoyingly inefficient as the sink drain is right in the middle of that space. The corresponding cabinet in the 19 is much more functional. We went with the 17 as the smaller space is easier to manage in the winter.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
That's a thought. I've read it's kind of ugly - hangs down and makes access difficult if you need to repair something under there. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
I don't think it looks ugly. It's all sprayed black. Hoping it prevents damage so we don't have to do repairs underneath, which without we might have
Old 05-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Having watched a 17 bounce over a speed bump, I'll take a twin axle any day.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I read a little bit about the possible desirability of the single axle 17 over the dual axle 19 on washboard, forest service roads, and other undulating less than great roads. I was about to order the 19 until I read a little bit about this and the stress that a dual axle set can place on the frame and body of the trailer. Is there any concern here or is it just something to discuss and debate. Someone claimed they even broke one of the new awning style insulated windows because of this.
Dan,
Are you referring to this post regarding the broken window? If so, the trailer it happened on was a 17, not a 19...and for what it is worth I believe a 2015 should have the slider windows.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f32/escape-durability-and-off-road-capability-9494-7.html#post198779
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Folks:
Rubicon327 is correct, our 2015 17B is a single axle. One correction is that the window that broke is the rear window, which on our Escape was a dual pane fixed (non-opening) window.
There are several older threads on damage to, and modifications for, rough-road travel. There have been several reports of refrigerator doors falling off and cabinets opening. Whether or not a tandem axle would be better in minimizing this kind of damage, I don't know.
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Trailer damage while travelling on rough roads can be managed by limiting your speed. The rougher the road, the slower you should drive. And don't assume that if your ride is quite smooth in your tow vehicle that your speed is slow enough for the trailer to manage the bumps. The suspension in your tow vehicle is typically much better than that on the trailer, so if the ride in your tow feels rough, the trailer is experiencing much worse. Tandems will ride a bit smoother than single axle trailers, but in either case you should go slow to better manage the bumps.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Couple of things with respect to single or dual axles besides ride....I haven't tested this myself but single axle trailers are supposed to be harder to back up, i.e. more agile(?) than dual axles. How much this matters is up for debate as it likely depends on the skill of the driver and the size of the parking space.

Also...I know some state parks and other campgrounds limit the total size of the tow vehicle and trailer to a certain length. The extra two feet on a dual axle 19 would keep me out of some parks given I have a full size pickup with a king cab. Truck and trailer are about 40ft. At some point in the future I'll switch to a smaller truck and bigger trailer.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Does anyone know if the need or desirability of the high lift axle is any different on the new 19's as opposed to the previous generation 19's? I'm thinking of adding it to my build sheet.

I envision most of my use will be in campgrounds, state parks, etc. but I could see the benefit in having the additional clearance for unforeseen events.

Maybe another question to ask is whether or not the high lift axle compromises the handling of the trailer while in tow on smooth roads.

My TV is a 4Runner, if that makes any difference.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Trailer damage while travelling on rough roads can be managed by limiting your speed. The rougher the road, the slower you should drive. And don't assume that if your ride is quite smooth in your tow vehicle that your speed is slow enough for the trailer to manage the bumps. The suspension in your tow vehicle is typically much better than that on the trailer, so if the ride in your tow feels rough, the trailer is experiencing much worse. Tandems will ride a bit smoother than single axle trailers, but in either case you should go slow to better manage the bumps.
Yep, you got it right there.

People who travel rough roads a lot are invariably going to want to go faster.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having owned both single and dual axle trailers, the dual units tow nicer and straighter, less sway. IMO. the high lift option takes away from the sleekness of the trailer, everything is exposed underneath, like your shirt taili always out and showing..With issues prevalent in all mobile homes being towed at 65 mph, taking them off road would seem to make things worse, with or without a high lift option.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:36 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Looks aside, it depends on where you intend to tow. The OP has clearly indicated that he likes back country camping off of rough roads which are often washboard or rutted. Two inches of extra ground clearance on the trailer would be a nice cushion. He'll lose maybe a bit of fuel economy on the highway due to the trailer causing more drag from sitting slightly higher, but that difference is negligible. Personally, I don't think the appearance is negatively affected by the high lift, but these things are a matter of taste.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 08:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
I don't think it looks ugly. It's all sprayed black. Hoping it prevents damage so we don't have to do repairs underneath, which without we might have
So, the insulation is sprayed black?