Skiing Escapes - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2019, 06:32 AM   #41

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee08802 View Post
Love all the stories. I thought we were the only crazy ones enjoying winter camping.

Shout out to Burlington for Jay Peak and Smugs.
Ken
We don't have snow here in my part of Texas so we improvise. Round up a couple of barrel staves and strap them to your feet with duct tape.

Sneak up on your meanest bull, grab his tail and hang on! The occasional 'Yippie ky yay" will lend authenticity to your ride around the corral and set the fence sitters to howling.

I should add that grabbing his tail is the easy part, figuring out how to turn loose is a bit more difficult as he will definitely take offense to your 'Ski Texas' adventure..

If anyone from the SPCA reads this, be assured that no harm ever comes to the bull.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:10 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mswan View Post
I bought All Weather tires so that I can travel over mountain passes in the winter and head for warmer climes. If I used winter tires in California or Arizona over the winter there would be nothing left of them coming home.
Well, I have been south to Arizona and other places for the last two winters on my snow tires, including down on the Baja last year, with no perceptible wear on my winter tires. Needed them from the trip down and back through snow conditions, as we left both times in early January, and back by late March.

I had talked about it to my tire guy, and he said to use them no problem, better to be safe than sorry.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #43

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
winter?

Here I sit, 6am, doors open, enjoying the view of a mountain over 8000' just 30 miles driving from the house. Shivering from reading about snow and cold. After two winters in Minot in a 1954 trailer, many ski trips from SFO area to the sierras in a class C for several nights at a time and then 10 years in Northern Utah, I think I'll stay here for the winter.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
In cold weather, I pump out of a water container brought inside by using my winterizing valve. This avoids the hose coming from the fresh water tank freezing.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Here I sit, 6am, doors open, enjoying the view of a mountain over 8000' just 30 miles driving from the house. Shivering from reading about snow and cold. After two winters in Minot in a 1954 trailer, many ski trips from SFO area to the sierras in a class C for several nights at a time and then 10 years in Northern Utah, I think I'll stay here for the winter.
AZjack
I have a pretty good idea where ur at Jack.
Couldn’t agree with you more. “70 Degrees” is the name.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #46

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Well, I have been south to Arizona and other places for the last two winters on my snow tires, including down on the Baja last year, with no perceptible wear on my winter tires. Needed them from the trip down and back through snow conditions, as we left both times in early January, and back by late March.

I had talked about it to my tire guy, and he said to use them no problem, better to be safe than sorry.
Ditto for us to LA, GA, AL, and FL last two winters. Just put the snows on yesterday and they look like new after three winters. However with only having one set of rims I don't like changing tires so looking at the Nokians like Glenn. The WRG4 are winter tested in Finland and are considered all weather tires. Now they might wear faster but if I only need one set of tires I'd save anyway in the long run.

I asked Ronn this week about his experience with Nokian on his 2wd F-150 and last winter (first winter with them) he was very happy with them living in mpls/st. paul area. Perhaps next spring we'll get Nokians and could still get a little for both sets of current tires selling them on Kijiji.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:33 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 17A

Mt Baker on a not too shabby day..... We usually go to Stevens Pass most weekends and bought the trailer for mainly winter use. Been pretty happy except not quite enough room in the 17 for all of gear / drying out jackets etc. Agree with many posts that Whistler is a fun place to go with a trailer - the community pool up there is amazing - more of a spa by ski bum standards.

We are expanding this year with an outdoor living room that is an easy up with 3 walls + a gas fire pit- will be nice to have some extra living space this

We are fired up for the season - see you out there.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0471.jpg  
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:37 PM   #48

OK - one more. This is my kind of thread!
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0312.jpg  
Old 11-08-2019, 12:10 AM   #49

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Just to clarify, I use my All Weather tires as my "summer" tires. That way I'm more confident going over mountain passes in shoulder seasons when I might encounter snow. I'll also use them if I head south this winter. Driving to my home in the hills of the Upper Mission after a heavy snow and up my steep driveway is a good test. If these tires perform well here they'll be fine crossing the Coquihalla. If not, I have a full set of winters on rims with sensors.
Mswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:33 AM   #50

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post

Mt Baker on a not too shabby day..... We usually go to Stevens Pass most weekends and bought the trailer for mainly winter use. Been pretty happy except not quite enough room in the 17 for all of gear / drying out jackets etc. Agree with many posts that Whistler is a fun place to go with a trailer - the community pool up there is amazing - more of a spa by ski bum standards.

We are expanding this year with an outdoor living room that is an easy up with 3 walls + a gas fire pit- will be nice to have some extra living space this

We stayed at a cg in Tetonia for 3 years while skiing Teton Pass. Turned the shower into a drying room by suspending an adjustable shower curtain in the space. You can push stuff back if using the toilet. (We had ours set up as a port-a-potty as we were dry camping.) Are you guys using the water systems?

We were out your way last spring skiing Bachelor, Hood and Rainier to 9,000 feet. Didn't make it to Baker. Spectacular!
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #51

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm running "All Weather" Nokian tires which have the snowflake/mountain symbol. They are different than "All Season". When snow tires are required, All Weather are legal. All Season are not legal.
I am running these Nokian All Weather tires as well on my F-150. I would rate them great as a winter tire as well as year round. We ran the tires all of last winter without any problems getting around. I have about 10,000 miles on them, with around 8,000 towing. They are wearing well and very quiet with a smooth ride.

For years I have been running winter tires in the winter and then would switch to all season in the spring. Pain in the butt and we have been caught a couple times putting them on too late (after an early snow fall).
Old 11-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We stayed at a cg in Tetonia for 3 years while skiing Teton Pass. Turned the shower into a drying room by suspending an adjustable shower curtain in the space. You can push stuff back if using the toilet. (We had ours set up as a port-a-potty as we were dry camping.) Are you guys using the water systems?

We were out your way last spring skiing Bachelor, Hood and Rainier to 9,000 feet. Didn't make it to Baker. Spectacular!
Yeah- I have a 17A, so no bathroom space to expand into.... We’ve made it work for 3 ski seasons, but this will be the last before going bigger. We haven’t used the water tank in the winter, but think I am going to try using it in Dec and April.... I really don’t think we should have too much trouble with temp that we are maintaining in the trailer. We have electricity and run an electric heater which is quiet and keeps things super toasty. Have to use the furnace at Baker and Rainier. I’m tapped out on ideas to maximize space for 4 with ski gear in a 17 foot trailer ha ha-
Old 11-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Winter Stoke

Quote:

You guys are tough, my wife has seen a couple of Escape’s up there, probably you. Bakers a great place, lots of good side country skiing over on Shukan’s arm. We start the season at Alyeska in Girdwood, ski Baker mid January through late March and finish the season spring skiing Alyeska. Kind of bummed over the current conditions at Baker, flying down for Thanksgiving week and it doesn’t look like they are going to be running. Scott
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #54

Trailer: 2018 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
In cold weather, I pump out of a water container brought inside by using my winterizing valve. This avoids the hose coming from the fresh water tank freezing.
This is an intriguing idea. Do u just stick the hose in the water, open the valve & use the pump? Thanks for the idea.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Yeah- I have a 17A, so no bathroom space to expand into.... We’ve made it work for 3 ski seasons, but this will be the last before going bigger. We haven’t used the water tank in the winter, but think I am going to try using it in Dec and April.... I really don’t think we should have too much trouble with temp that we are maintaining in the trailer. We have electricity and run an electric heater which is quiet and keeps things super toasty. Have to use the furnace at Baker and Rainier. I’m tapped out on ideas to maximize space for 4 with ski gear in a 17 foot trailer ha ha-
The issue with using the water systems in those temps is the dump valves that are outside the heated space. Thinking of a 19? Tent and winter bags for the kids?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #56

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
It’s only Pennsylvania but nice to get out on the slopes. Used the Escape as our parking lot base camp which worked out well.
Attached Thumbnails
671361DC-9538-4CA0-B68D-CC4E7392019E.jpg   78877EA8-5B0D-4A7E-A737-68C06FC19772.jpg  
Old 01-17-2021, 08:42 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
No Escape on this trip, Alyeska last week.
Attached Thumbnails
84CB0848-7595-4B95-A6F6-44F4AA12BCC6.jpg   193F713A-45E1-495E-A733-AE8986DC884A.jpg  
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Tire manufacturers and suppliers around here us 7°C (44.6°F) as the point where winter tire components work better at and below.

I went for years relying on using 4x4, but when I actually first bought them a few years ago as I was starting to use a cargo trailer year round, WOW, they made a huge difference.

I had thought along these lines for many year, but that changed..........

All season are what we used to use all year round, but they just did not perform anywhere near as well as winter tires do in the cold. When we got my wife's Honda Accord used a bit, it came with winter tires along with the all season, and when we changed to winter in the cold, we were both blown away with the increased performance. Most people we know have gone to winter tires in the cold. No cost difference (other that rims initially) as they wear about the same so just last a couple more years.

Anyway, my thoughts were fortunately changed.
We live in the mountains here in Vermont and run Winter tires on both vehicles. Huge difference! My pickup can go places in 2WD where others with all season tires have trouble in 4wd. If I decide to put it in 4wd I have driven through 12 inches of snow or more before. We have summer tires which are really "all season" tires as the winter tires are too soft to run in warmer weather and wear out quicker. Some people still run studded tires but I find that with the new Michelin or Bridgestone tires you really don't need the studs. The few times you might really need them outweigh the times that they are not so good...like stopping on a wet road.

As far as the TPMS you just need the shop that changes the tires and rims to reset the TPMS for the new rims or do it the old fashioned way and keep and eye on them with a tire gauge.

At present I do not have a place to put my trailer where it is accessible so it has been put to bed for the winter. I must admit that with the covid restrictions this year it would be nice to have but I am not sure that I want to tow in the snow in the mountains....that is when the skiing is the best! The places we ski parking would be tough with a trailer anyway. This is when I wish I still had my truck camper.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:33 AM   #59

Trailer: looking to purchase 21 foot
Heading to fernie this winter ,with 21ft from ontario ,do you have winter tires on your trailer
Barylski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:07 AM   #60

Trailer: Escape 21C -2020 and 2003 Aliner
howdy--- if i recall-- while i was towing my aliner thru the sierras-- the chain laws implemented meant they would not let me over the pass (including winter travel thru Yosemite) that law required i put chains on the trailer as well as my 4 WD truck--- i thought a little over kill but that was the requirement .... also just stayed in bryce where temps got down to 22 degrees and icicles were hanging down from the fresh water drain valve and like an outdoor faucet on your house-- that could freeze and break-- i was lucky and since wrapped it in future below freezing temps-- FYI
quidoi is offline   Reply With Quote