Skiing Escapes - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #21

Trailer: 2019 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape2Yukon View Post
Our questions: What is it like towing on winter/snowy roads? Also, do you change the standard trailer tires to snow tires?
We only had one issue in the 6 years of winter travel. We were driving across the eastern plains of Colorado at night with a light snow blowing across the road. The road looked clear but it was actually black ice. Ended up jackknifing. Luckily no one hurt and only minor damage. That was a wake up call. Now we check weather reports and state highway conditions web pages. If its going to snow we try to stay put. If we do have to travel, its never at night. You can see conditions so much better in daylight. If we hit snow we just take it slow until we find a place to stop and wait it out. Another rule is to avoid any steep roads unless you know they have been sanded or salted. We have sometimes waited to follow a sanding truck. Mountain passes are a definite no go in bad weather. You have to be especially aware in march and April when snow melt starts. The roads over passes will get wet during the day and around 4 in the afternoon will quickly freeze over. We had to take a long detour one day returning to Leadville from Copper. All said we have found the weather out west more predictable than the east. A storm comes through, it warms the next day and the roads clear quickly.

With respect to snow tires there is no need for snows on the trailer. Snows are for traction and do little for stopping. In the old days we would put two snows on the rear drive wheels and couple cinder blocks in the trunk and were good to go. For the tv we have four snows and 4 wheel drive. Only needed 4 wheel drive once getting out of Lake Louise campground after a fresh snow. If you plan to travel to Canada be sure to get snow tires with the Canadian approval label on the sidewall. They don't cost any more and will save you a hassle if you get in an accident up there.

Hope I didn't ramble too much.
Ken
Dee08802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:12 AM   #22

Love all the stories. I thought we were the only crazy ones enjoying winter camping.

Shout out to Burlington for Jay Peak and Smugs.
Ken
Old 11-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Winter tires produce much better traction in colder temps, improving acceleration, braking and handling a lot. Amazing difference. I tow in winter hordes, mostly cargo and dump trailers, and just have regular trailer tires on them and always drive according to conditions. If very slippery, like fresh wetter snow, I do not tow.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #24

Your absolutely right Jim. Winter tires have come a long way matching materials to conditions. No need to stud tires anymore. The all season tires really don't cut it for winter driving, mainly because they are too hard in cold temps.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee08802 View Post
Your absolutely right Jim. Winter tires have come a long way matching materials to conditions. No need to stud tires anymore. The all season tires really don't cut it for winter driving, mainly because they are too hard in cold temps.
We are banking on the Cooper at3 4s which carries the severe rating all season with the snowflake symbol for our Colorado--we'll see. No need to switch between summer and winter tires.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Tire manufacturers and suppliers around here us 7°C (44.6°F) as the point where winter tire components work better at and below.

I went for years relying on using 4x4, but when I actually first bought them a few years ago as I was starting to use a cargo trailer year round, WOW, they made a huge difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We are banking on the Cooper at3 4s which carries the severe rating all season with the snowflake symbol for our Colorado--we'll see. No need to switch between summer and winter tires.
I had thought along these lines for many year, but that changed..........

All season are what we used to use all year round, but they just did not perform anywhere near as well as winter tires do in the cold. When we got my wife's Honda Accord used a bit, it came with winter tires along with the all season, and when we changed to winter in the cold, we were both blown away with the increased performance. Most people we know have gone to winter tires in the cold. No cost difference (other that rims initially) as they wear about the same so just last a couple more years.

Anyway, my thoughts were fortunately changed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #27

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Tire manufacturers and suppliers around here us 7°C (44.6°F) as the point where winter tire components work better at and below.

I went for years relying on using 4x4, but when I actually first bought them a few years ago as I was starting to use a cargo trailer year round, WOW, they made a huge difference.

I had thought along these lines for many year, but that changed..........

All season are what we used to use all year round, but they just did not perform anywhere near as well as winter tires do in the cold. When we got my wife's Honda Accord used a bit, it came with winter tires along with the all season, and when we changed to winter in the cold, we were both blown away with the increased performance. Most people we know have gone to winter tires in the cold. No cost difference (other that rims initially) as they wear about the same so just last a couple more years.

Anyway, my thoughts were fortunately changed.
When you are running a second set of tires and rims what about tire pressure monitoring system?
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
All season are what we used to use all year round, but they just did not perform anywhere near as well as winter tires do in the cold.

I'm running "All Weather" Nokian tires which have the snowflake/mountain symbol. They are different than "All Season". When snow tires are required, All Weather are legal. All Season are not legal.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post
When you are running a second set of tires and rims what about tire pressure monitoring system?
'tis built into the truck. Sensors on both sets of tires.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #30

Quote:
I just got an additional four external mount sensors for the portable tire monitor system I use for the trailer. The car tire pressure warning light on the dash is a little annoying but it goes away in the spring when I switch back to summer tires.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm running "All Weather" Nokian tires which have the snowflake/mountain symbol. They are different than "All Season". When snow tires are required, All Weather are legal. All Season are not legal.
So, do you equate legal with better? My tire so guy says they are an in between tire and wear out much faster than all season.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #32

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Quote:
I just got an additional four external mount sensors for the portable tire monitor system I use for the trailer. The car tire pressure warning light on the dash is a little annoying but it goes away in the spring when I switch back to summer tires.
This is what I was thinking. When you change to winter tires and rims even if you have the TPMS in the winter tires and rims the system has to be reprogramed to recognize the new sensors. Could be wrong, it won't be the first time.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #33

Quote:
So, do you equate legal with better? My tire so guy says they are an in between tire and wear out much faster than all season.

I figure with the mileage I do that they are a bargain, saving me over $200 a year switching over ( I don't have extra rims ). It amuses me that people spend $1,600 on alloy rims and then switch to $60 black-painted steel rims for 4-6 months of winter.

I do equate legal with better than summer or all season. If they weren't adequate ( especially with 4WD ), they wouldn't be legal.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #34

Quote:
This is what I was thinking. When you change to winter tires and rims even if you have the TPMS in the winter tires and rims the system has to be reprogramed to recognize the new sensors. Could be wrong, it won't be the first time.

I think the sensors in the OEM tires on my RAV4 disappeared during a change over to snows, or back to summer. I've been meaning to ask my service manager how you can tell if the system is working.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:47 PM   #35

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Quote:

With respect to snow tires there is no need for snows on the trailer. Snows are for traction and do little for stopping.
Ken
With much respect...sorry but if traction is better so will be the stopping. Traction goes on both side acceleration and stopping.

No need winter tire on trailler....

Have a nice day
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondasaurus View Post
Traction goes on both side acceleration and stopping.
I stand corrected. That was my bad. The better answer is I don't use snows on the trailer but I do avoid pulling the trailer with snow on the road. If I do get caught I just take it slow until I find a place to stop and wait it out.

Thanks for the followup.
Ken
Old 11-01-2019, 08:32 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Skiing Escapes

Wonderful! Thanks everyone for all the info....we might just plan a winter trip to Liard River Hot Springs in northern B.C. one of these days!

Lynn and Leo
Escape2Yukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Escape 5.0 TA Winter

The only thing I wish on the Escape 5.0 TA is that the fresh water tank was enclosed as part of the occupancy area so the furnance cloud keep it warm. I could have fresh water in the winter. We thought about the heating mats and insulation my concern was suppling the energy for the heaters.
The gray and black tanks just require some anti-freeze and we are ready to go.
WRGooding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:36 PM   #39

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I bought All Weather tires so that I can travel over mountain passes in the winter and head for warmer climes. If I used winter tires in California or Arizona over the winter there would be nothing left of them coming home.
Mswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:20 AM   #40

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mswan View Post
I bought All Weather tires so that I can travel over mountain passes in the winter and head for warmer climes. If I used winter tires in California or Arizona over the winter there would be nothing left of them coming home.
When from Québec to Florida 2 time with winter tire and I still use them for a 4 year. I figure there are used fou 25 000 km and good for at least 50 000 km.

Yes in warmer weather there gonna were out a bit faster but they will not melt.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote