Sleeping Solo in 17B using small dinette - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B
Sleeping Solo in 17B using small dinette

Hi to my new Escape family. I'm making BIG plans for my future tiny travel trailer. I will be full timing come 2016 and have chosen the Escape 17B because I love the floor plan.

Here's why: most trailers use a good percentage of the floor plan for the bed, assuming two people will be sleeping in it. Makes sense, but I will be going solo, so I don't want my bed to take up too much room in an already tiny trailer. I want to have the smaller, two person dinette be permanently set up as my bed. It's out of the way, almost like a little room.

My only worry is, I can't seem to find the dimensions for it as a bed. I'm a medium build, 5'7 female and want to make sure I'll fit comfortably. Are there any other adults using this smaller dinette as their regular bed? Did you find it was enough space for you to sleep comfortably?

Thanks for the input. I can already tell you'all are going to be a huge resource for me as I work towards my dream!

My "Sarandipity Travels" Blog: https://sarandipitytravels.com/
Sarandipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When camping with my buddy, I take the front dinette/bed and give him the double. I sleep just fine.
When camping with my wife, we share the rear dinette/bed with an overweight beagle.
I think I sleep better at the front.
If you plan to make it permanent, you'll need access to space under the benches for storage.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
When camping with my buddy, I take the front dinette/bed and give him the double. I sleep just fine.
When camping with my wife, we share the rear dinette/bed with an overweight beagle.
I think I sleep better at the front.
If you plan to make it permanent, you'll need access to space under the benches for storage.
Thanks. It's reassuring to know you were comfortable. If you don't mind my asking, how tall are you? Or better yet, do you happen to know the dimensions of the front bed when it's set up?

Old 08-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #4

I'm 5'8" and shrinking.
Bed is 30" wide and 78" long.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
The few times I have gone without my wife I have used it comfortably - with a suitable mattress pad. Bed size was not an issue (I'm maybe 5'6" and definitely shrinking).
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I believe the single front dinette in the 15A might be a wee bit narrower than gbaglo's but I use it as my bed and do fine in it (I'm 5'6"). It is not a permanent bed but has the regular cushions with a double 3" memory foam mattress on top. I did not make it permanent so as to keep my options open.
Attached Thumbnails
Egbert-006.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #7

Love the picture, Karen. I envision setting up my bed similar to yours. It looks lovely. The measurements and feedback were very helpful, Gbaglo and Soultrek.

Picture me with towels laid out on the floor to fit the measurements you gave me, laying down on top with my pillow and testing out different sleeping positions. All the while, my dog is licking my face and wondering what in the heck I'm doing. Conclusion from my (non-scientific, yet practical ) test is that the bed size should be fine. Thanks for all your help!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
You can always check the owners map for a 17b in your area...call them and politely flop around on it! Tee hee!

I wanted to see the bathroom in person...to see if there was enough room....shower wise!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Sleeping Solo in 17B using small dinette

Welcome Sara.

There's another option you might want to consider- a permanent bed where the small dinette goes, omitting the semi-closet by the door. This makes the "head" of the bed wider, and the foot area (which doesn't require as much space) narrower. The bed would be shaped as sort of a trapezoid. I've seen a couple photos from 17 owners who've done it. Then, the larger dinette area can stay a dinette, and no making up the bed every night. The storage you lose by omitting the semi-closet is made up for by the increased under bed storage.

You could even keep the semi-closet by the door and just have them do a single rectangular bed, but it might feel tight and confining while laying down because of the closet or bathroom wall.

We went with a 19 because of the queen bed, but then again, there's two of us and we like our sleeping space.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I also travel solo in a 17B. I converted the 4 person dinette into a permanent bed. I prefer having the extra room the 3/4 bed provides. I've camped with a couple that traveled in a tent, and a few times the weather was bad enough that they wanted to sleep in the trailer. I gave them the permanent bed & I set up the front single. I fit fine - I'm 6' tall & 175 lbs. That said, I felt a bit cramped, not because of the width, but because the bathroom and closet walls are "right in your face". Reminded me of camping in a mummy bag. If that doesn't bother you, I say go for it. There have been times that I wished for the 4 person dinette back, but not enough to give up my comfortable bed or go to the trouble of setting it up every night...
Old 08-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I am in Jon's camp for the layout. I like to read a lot, and so the larger bed doubles as a lounge. I also use the underside of the large side for storage, and the width and depth is enough for 2 storage bins (one in front of the other) and two camp chairs (in bags) and the grabber for the awning switch. (& 2 pair of shoes too). You could also, if you decide to use the small dinette as a bed, cut the wardrobe down so it would be taller than the bench, but not so tall as to be claustrophobic, and then have shelving or drawers.
But, it really comes down to what your planned usage is and your own personal preference. Welcome and welcome to the world of choices!
Old 08-03-2015, 11:31 PM   #12

When I sleep, my eyes are closed. I don't have a problem with claustrophobia.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:08 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
I'm 5'10", (and shrinking), weigh 175#, am able to stretch out completely and sleep quite comfortably up front. It's the length of a twin bed and a little narrower than an Army cot. With no modification to the closet I joke that there's now way this OleMan will fall outta bed. I like it enough that Wednesday I'm picking up a mattress from ETI.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:19 AM   #14

It's a heck of a lot easier to "make the bed" using the front dinette. For me, that's straightening the sleeping bag and getting the pillow off the floor.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I camp alone in a 17b I haven't slept in the small dinette space but my friends have they say it's comfortable I put a memory foam mattress on it I sleep on the larger one because I share my bed with two dogs.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
My plan as well Glenn!

I love to do art/collage so look forward to the larger dinette being permanent and being able to spread out supplies. (hoping my art supplies don't put me over the weight limit for the TV!) (kidding)

Quote:
It's a heck of a lot easier to "make the bed" using the front dinette. For me, that's straightening the sleeping bag and getting the pillow off the floor.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
The front dinette in our 17B has the bunk option and it is setup as bunk bed permanently. We replaced the seat cushions on the lower bunk with this sleeping pad and it sleeps comfortably.

If you had been tent camping and/or backpacking before, you probably know that the 30" width is quite generous when compare to most backpacking mat on the market. But comfort is a very subjective matter....
Old 08-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
I am also camping solo and use the single dinette as my permanent bed, 5'8" +140 lb. it works well for me. I purchased a 2" euro latex pad which goes over the top of the dinette cushions which makes it quite comfortable. The closet and bathroom walls do not bother me. I like the extra living area which the double dinette provides, overall it makes the small space seem larger.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #19

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone. I'm feeling really good about my choice after reading your comments. I have 3" memory foam I use on my bed at home right now, and plan to cut it to size and leave the bed set up most of the time. I don't think the closet/bathroom walls will bother me. Will store seldom used items underneath, so hopefully I won't have to get into the storage too often.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #20

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Quote:
When I sleep, my eyes are closed. I don't have a problem with claustrophobia.
Too funny
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote