Slim Pickins . . . - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2022, 04:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 5.0
Escape Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We had our first two Escapes delivered and our last two we picked up at the factory. If you plan it right, we pick up our 5th new Escape on Tuesday 5/24 and then head over to Osoyoos for the annual Escape Rally held there every year. It is a great trip, getting a new Escape and then meeting other owners at the Rally.
Thats what me and the wife are doing, Can't wait!!
knuckled62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 04:40 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean2a View Post
I guess one part would be how important is weight to you? Air streams are beautiful but a bit heavy (compared to fiberglass). Also, I think if them like luxury cars. Expensive to buy sure but also expensive to have work done on. Not a cost some consider. One thing you're right about is their resale value. They have a very dedicated fanbase, maybe even more so than fiberglass trailers as a whole, and that helps resale value in a similar way many models of Jeep hold value.
You're right about weight. I think we'd be OK with maybe the 23' or shorter models, which would leave some room in the towing capacity of our 2013 Expedition EL 4x4 (max towing maybe close to 9,000 lbs). Doubtless you're right about cost of repair or maintenance work, though I don't know how much would be required vs. an expensive car (e.g. Mercedes or Jaguar), aside from brakes and bearings. Insurance, I bet, would be higher, too.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:47 PM   #23
Site Team

Before anyone points it out here, there's a 2019 Escape 19 up today on the Pre-Owned Page at Escape's web site. It's at Elgin, Texas. Looks real nice, but Elgin, Texas is 1,900 miles from us in eastern Massachusetts. If Georgia was too far to handle a rush purchase, Texas is even worse. So I'll leave it for those young eager beavers who can jump in the car and drive for 30 hours to Elgin bearing $36,500 in cash. Me, I don't even like driving at night. Probably should get the cataracts worked on. . .
Old 02-18-2022, 10:16 PM   #24

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Before anyone points it out here, there's a 2019 Escape 19 up today on the Pre-Owned Page at Escape's web site. It's at Elgin, Texas. Looks real nice, but Elgin, Texas is 1,900 miles from us in eastern Massachusetts. If Georgia was too far to handle a rush purchase, Texas is even worse. So I'll leave it for those young eager beavers who can jump in the car and drive for 30 hours to Elgin bearing $36,500 in cash. Me, I don't even like driving at night. Probably should get the cataracts worked on. . .
Maybe you should put your geographic boundaries and comfort levels of payment to prior owners in your ad....
Old 02-18-2022, 11:02 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Maybe you should put your geographic boundaries and comfort levels of payment to prior owners in your ad....
My ad? I'm buying, not selling.
Old 02-19-2022, 08:20 AM   #26

Quote:
My ad? I'm buying, not selling.
I realize your a buyer...But you don't want to travel to Texas or Georgia for available trailers.You may want to give max distance your willing to travel.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:36 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
I realize your a buyer...But you don't want to travel to Texas or Georgia for available trailers.You may want to give max distance your willing to travel.
To whom? You mean here? It depends: on what's for sale, how badly I want it, who's selling it, its likely condition, and our circumstances at the time. How far would you go for a trailer you might reject for some reason (maybe you discover the frame is rusted out, or it smells like a chicken house). Impossible to specify in advance.

The other factor is the competition. In a market where demand is so strong that potential buyers are bidding up the price, I'm not likely to go rushing a thousand miles to get into the fray. YMMV.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:38 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Travel

Quote:
To whom? You mean here? It depends: on what's for sale, how badly I want it, who's selling it, its likely condition, and our circumstances at the time. How far would you go for a trailer you might reject for some reason (maybe you discover the frame is rusted out, or it smells like a chicken house). Impossible to specify in advance.

The other factor is the competition. In a market where demand is so strong that potential buyers are bidding up the price, I'm not likely to go rushing a thousand miles to get into the fray. YMMV.
If a seller will accept a significant deposit with the caveat that if the trailer is unacceptable, the deposit will be returned, I would have no problem driving a couple days to look at it and finish the deal. If the deal is not workable, I would drive back home and start over. Persistence, honesty, and determination are all virtues as I see it. Hope something shows up close to you and you’re ready when it does. It all depends upon your willingness to gamble a little, and some times drive a lot. When we bought the 21 in Tucson, we discussed whether we ought to take it straight home or head north to Chilliwack to have solar installed.

We drove home, called Tammy and got an appointment and headed west with our grandson. Had a great trip. First time at North Cascades. Didn’t go straight home but instead detoured to Missouri to view the solar eclipse. Great memories, good solar install, a retirement treat that we earned and a great trailer. About 9,000 miles. Had already been to Chilliwack and Osoyoos that same spring. I love the open road of the west.

“Woah, look at that Mastercard, that baby is heathy this month”.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-19-2022, 04:04 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If a seller will accept a significant deposit with the caveat that if the trailer is unacceptable, the deposit will be returned, I would have no problem driving a couple days to look at it and finish the deal. If the deal is not I would drive back home and start over. . .
Don't disagree with anything you said, but it really depends. We were preparing to drive to North Carolina (figuring three days for 900 miles at our daytime pace) for a Escape 19, when the seller changed his mind. We were certainly talking about driving to Georgia recently, as I was first in line and had emailed the seller about a deposit. But he was deluged with buyers, including a local one who offered "much more" than he was asking, so by the time he responded, the E19 was sold. That's why I'm soured on chasing after will-o'-the-wisps in today's MFG market.

We have to get a cat sitter, arrange for someone to shovel the walk if needed, cancel my wife's appointments (she volunteer-drives old folks to their appointments), and in winter worry about weather and power failures at home. It ain't as simple as it sounds: 'circumstances' often encompass a lot more than just willingness and simple virtues, as do priorities. Buying a trailer isn't a family emergency, when you might drop everything and take off.

And we do have a camper we can use if we want to. We've just decided to get a bigger one.
Old 02-19-2022, 04:49 PM   #30

Trailer: 22' 17B
Quote:
We have to get a cat sitter, arrange for someone to shovel the walk if needed, cancel my wife's appointments (she volunteer-drives old folks to their appointments), and in winter worry about weather and power failures at home. It ain't as simple as it sounds: 'circumstances' often encompass a lot more than just willingness and simple virtues, as do priorities. Buying a trailer isn't a family emergency, when you might drop everything and take off.
It's TRUE. You are saving money on a used unit, well in theory, though it's true in today's market it doesnt seem to always be the case, but the cost of buyuh ing used NOW instead of waiting 18 months is to be ready now. At any moment. To get up and go. And of course in terms of Escape, you lose a huge benefit of the incredible customizability of a new unit. Still, I think for me, if I were in your shoes, I'd hit the road solo, so my significant other could hold down the fort. Communicate along the way and trust each other to make good decisions. Maybe take a friend to help with the driving? Certainly would help make the logistics smoother. Speaking of logistics. We just got an electronic auto feeder for our cat. Better yet, my neighbor usually just puts down a ton of food as nd water and has about 2-3 fresh litter boxes, and that's good for more like 6 or 7 days, so a 2 or 3 day trip is definitely doable without a sitter.

At any rate, I wish you good luck. I'm just glad you're looking a little bigger than me since we're both on the east coast
Sean2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 06:15 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
After talking with the seller I sent a non-refundable deposit via pay pal because I knew it would not last the rest of the day at his asking price. Risked several hundred dollars if I backed out but I was willing to take the chance. He had other offers, but fortunately he did the honorable thing and held it for me.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 06:43 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean2a View Post
It's TRUE. You are saving money on a used unit, well in theory, though it's true in today's market it doesnt seem to always be the case, but the cost of buyuh ing used NOW instead of waiting 18 months is to be ready now. At any moment. To get up and go. And of course in terms of Escape, you lose a huge benefit of the incredible customizability of a new unit. Still, I think for me, if I were in your shoes, I'd hit the road solo, so my significant other could hold down the fort. Communicate along the way and trust each other to make good decisions. Maybe take a friend to help with the driving? Certainly would help make the logistics smoother. Speaking of logistics. We just got an electronic auto feeder for our cat. Better yet, my neighbor usually just puts down a ton of food as nd water and has about 2-3 fresh litter boxes, and that's good for more like 6 or 7 days, so a 2 or 3 day trip is definitely doable without a sitter.

At any rate, I wish you good luck. I'm just glad you're looking a little bigger than me since we're both on the east coast
Good ideas, especially about the cats.

If we find bigger, we'll have a Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 to sell. . .
Old 02-19-2022, 10:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Good ideas, especially about the cats.

If we find bigger, we'll have a Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 to sell. . .
And you will want top dollar for your Casita, right? ..Why wouldn't you...
Old 02-19-2022, 10:47 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
And you will want top dollar for your Casita, right? ..Why wouldn't you...
I had it on the market briefly in December, for $22.5k; fair price, in today's market (new ones are going for c. $30k). Had a buyer on his way from Far Rockaway, with cash in hand, but I had to cancel when my seller changed his mind.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:00 PM   #35

Quote:
I had it on the market briefly in December, for $22.5k; fair price, in today's market (new ones are going for c. $30k). Had a buyer on his way from Far Rockaway, with cash in hand, but I had to cancel when my seller changed his mind.
sooo, do you have a problem with what the fair market value is on an Escape?...Doesn't really matter what a new one costs, you have already learned that lesson.. Market demands are what will determine the price of a used Escape,,, Weather you are willing to pay that or not is kind of irrelevant
Old 02-20-2022, 05:42 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Today's economic market is going haywire. Something that was delivered over night is now taking 2 weeks. It is impacting everything, everywhere!......
Old 02-20-2022, 07:17 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
sooo, do you have a problem with what the fair market value is on an Escape?...Doesn't really matter what a new one costs, you have already learned that lesson.. Market demands are what will determine the price of a used Escape,,, Weather you are willing to pay that or not is kind of irrelevant
I'm not happy with demand driving up prices, but in this thread I was complaining about demand making the logistics of finding and buying the Escapes inordinately difficult. Of course, this is nothing new in the MFG market, certainly not in New England; we had quite a time finding our Casita in 2016. We lucked out when an owner advertised on NH Craigslist. It's even worse now.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:40 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
. . . these days. Was it always this hard finding used Escapes? This Classified section reminds me of Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard.

Come on, folks! I know there are some of you ready for a Class C or even Class A motorhome. Surely you're tired of little trailers with no washing machines, or fireplaces—right? Time to move up and sell your Escapes!
Well ... I'll have a gently used 2017 E19 loaded with many options for sale, but not until fall. I plan to use it one more summer and then let it go.
chuckwhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:59 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwhanson View Post
Well ... I'll have a gently used 2017 E19 loaded with many options for sale, but not until fall. I plan to use it one more summer and then let it go.
That would be way better than a stickie! If I haven't gotten an Escape by then, I'll be in touch.