Slim Pickins . . . - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2022, 10:17 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Slim Pickins . . .

. . . these days. Was it always this hard finding used Escapes? This Classified section reminds me of Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard.

Come on, folks! I know there are some of you ready for a Class C or even Class A motorhome. Surely you're tired of little trailers with no washing machines, or fireplaces—right? Time to move up and sell your Escapes!
Old 02-14-2022, 10:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
. . . these days. Was it always this hard finding used Escapes? This Classified section reminds me of Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard.

Come on, folks! I know there are some of you ready for a Class C or even Class A motorhome. Surely you're tired of little trailers with no washing machines, or fireplaces—right? Time to move up and sell your Escapes!
Nice try
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Has been this way for years. Pony up a deposit as the rest of us had to.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:48 AM   #4

Trailer: Planning
Used Escapes are selling for new prices. Might as well put own a deposit for a new one. If you find a used one within the up to two-year lead time, all you lose is $150. The rest of the $2000 deposit is refundable up to the point that your build starts being personalize to your specs.
MikeNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 22' 17B
I'm right there with you. Keep hoping a 17b pops up closer to the east coast. That delivery fee scares the bejeebies out of me.
Sean2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean2a View Post
I'm right there with you. Keep hoping a 17b pops up closer to the east coast. That delivery fee scares the bejeebies out of me.
We had our first two Escapes delivered and our last two we picked up at the factory. If you plan it right, we pick up our 5th new Escape on Tuesday 5/24 and then head over to Osoyoos for the annual Escape Rally held there every year. It is a great trip, getting a new Escape and then meeting other owners at the Rally.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:24 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Has been this way for years. Pony up a deposit as the rest of us had to.
Did that, last month (after I bailed out of buying an inTech Sol Horizon). So I'm on the schedule for an E21. . . in October, 2023. Hope I'm still around then, and still able to hitch a trailer up. After snowblowing and shoveling yesterday, I'm not at all certain I'll make it.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean2a View Post
There is an Eastcoast 17B for sale right now on the Escape website.

https://escapetrailer.com/pre-owned-trailer-listings/
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
There is an Eastcoast 17B for sale right now on the Escape website.

https://escapetrailer.com/pre-owned-trailer-listings/
Eastward, yes, but Newfoundland is about as far away from Virginia as the Rocky Mountains.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Eastward, yes, but Newfoundland is about as far away from Virginia as the Rocky Mountains.
No doubt about that, 2000 miles but it would be such a wonderful adventure and one of the nicest places to go.

Watch: Come From Away

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7638556/
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 02:30 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
No doubt about that, 2000 miles but it would be such a wonderful adventure and one of the nicest places to go.

Watch: Come From Away

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7638556/
Could maybe ship the trailer by. . . ship! And come along for the ride!
Old 02-15-2022, 03:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 ETI 19 (Matilda)
E19 For Sale - GA

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...mper-pull-sale

Good Luck!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Quote:
Could maybe ship the trailer by. . . ship! And come along for the ride!
I just enjoyed reading your "Molded Fiberglass Obsession" essay. I'm curious, what prompted you to sell the Casita and look for a different trailer? We considered Scamps and Casitas too and in the end I think we liked the weight-to-accommodations ratio of Escape the best. And how many nice extras came standard. Now that we're more familiar with Escape I also prefer the materials Escape uses inside.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:53 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
Thanks! Emailed owner just now. Surprised I didn't see it, as I've been checking these sites every day.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:37 PM   #15

Quote:
I saw this when it was posted, but I was thinking the same about the distance Somehow though I feel like shipping via boat would still be cheaper than crossing the country/ rocky mountains!

Also I'm looking for a bit more loaded than this one seems to offer.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:01 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
I just enjoyed reading your "Molded Fiberglass Obsession" essay. I'm curious, what prompted you to sell the Casita and look for a different trailer? We considered Scamps and Casitas too and in the end I think we liked the weight-to-accommodations ratio of Escape the best. And how many nice extras came standard. Now that we're more familiar with Escape I also prefer the materials Escape uses inside.
Well, we had a few reasons, including (but not limited to, as the lawyers say), different sleeping schedules, so we decided we needed two beds, ideally at opposite ends of the trailer. There aren't many molded-fiberglass campers big enough to meet this requirement, mainly Escape 19s and 21s, and Bigfoot 21s and 25s. There are plenty of stickies, and we actually made a deposit on an inTech Sol Horizon, with its big front dinette/bed and attractive picture window, but then bailed out after I learned that they had a serious problem with their axle mounts.

The Casita two-person dinette/bed along the side is just too narrow; we expanded it from 24" to 28" with plywood boards, but that left the hallway pretty crowded. So we decided to start looking. And looking. . .

We still have the Casita, and can use it for overnights and short camping stays, but really want something larger for the longer trips we are contemplating.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but you asked. . .
Old 02-15-2022, 07:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Be patient, grasshopper

They say, all things come to the patient one. It did for me. 13+ years ago I was scheduled to buy a 1 year old used Escape 17 up in Toronto. The seller backed out, and I ended up with a '96 Casita, 16 footer. A retired guy restoration project, which we enjoyed for 10 years or so. And then a E19 came up for sale a couple of years ago, near Cincinnati, and we jumped on it.
Your day, and trailer will come. And you have the back-up Casita to use and enjoy until then.
FWIW....probably a wise decision to back out of the other trailer purchase.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:52 AM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
In 2018 we tried to sell our 2007 17B for $16k CAD. After a few months we took the ad down. No serious offers. In the winter of 2019 I put it for sale again and it sold after 2 months. Here in Ontario, the province isn't crazy for Escapes, old Trilliums yes, not Escapes.

In hind sight, I wish I would have kept it. The 2' upgrade cost way more than I thought it would.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:58 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
UPDATE: I got in first, thanks to your link. But we couldn't just jump in the car and run off for a thousand-mile trip to Georgia, and while I temporized, the E19 was quickly sold. The owner emailed me:

Quote:
I had over 14 people seriously interested and someone came in Thursday between our emails and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He picked it up this morning. Had I put it up for bids I might have gotten 40k for it. This market is crazy! Good luck on your search!
Crazy indeed! He had advertised it for $31k.

Well, I'll keep an eye out for Escapes, ideally closer to home. We could move to a used stickie, like an R-Pod or Geo-Pro, which are easily found in New England, until our Oct 2023 slot at Escape comes up. But it is tempting to expand our horizons to the more expensive Airstreams. A recent Airstream is going to be as much or more than a new Escape, but used Airstreams are much more plentiful than used Escapes or Bigfoots. And while some say Airstream quality has gone down since Thor bought them out, still they can be considered an investment, and they maintain their resale value. . .

Time again to give up on the molded-fiberglass world?
Old 02-18-2022, 03:31 PM   #20

I guess one part would be how important is weight to you? Air streams are beautiful but a bit heavy (compared to fiberglass). Also, I think if them like luxury cars. Expensive to buy sure but also expensive to have work done on. Not a cost some consider. One thing you're right about is their resale value. They have a very dedicated fanbase, maybe even more so than fiberglass trailers as a whole, and that helps resale value in a similar way many models of Jeep hold value.