Smaller fridge substitution? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Smaller fridge substitution?

Configuring a 21 and that huge 6.7 fridge is way more than we need. Anyone specified a smaller fridge? Maybe use the freed up space for storage or something else.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
The only thing we regret on our 19' is not getting the larger fridge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Configuring a 21 and that huge 6.7 fridge is way more than we need. Anyone specified a smaller fridge? Maybe use the freed up space for storage or something else.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Not sure, but do they still offer the 3 or 5 cf model, or a similar newer one?

We thought the 5 cf would be quite small, as we raw feed our dog, and his food takes up a bunch of room in the freezer and fridge, but we rarely have the thing anywhere near full. Unless stuck in a totally remote area for weeks, then a quick trip for fresh food supplies every few days, is easy to do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We thought the small one would be fine, but we also regret not getting a bigger fridge.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: tractors1...Maybe the fact that our 5cu. ft. fridge is always stuffed full is why we haven't had a problem with the door coming open. I did have to replace the handle as the spring clip broke but lucky that Camping World is a Dometic dealer and had a handle in stock in Myrtle Beach!!!
Looking forward to the new 6.7cu. ft. with the interior light and more space for beer. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having had both the large and small, I really enjoy the larger one for several reasons. I no longer need to carry a cooler full of ice for drinks. I no longer need to carry separate plastic, environmentally unfriendly water bottles. I purchased some 2 gallon water containers and now carry my water with my libations in my refer. Simplfying is easy.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We opted for the larger refrigerator in our 19' and, upon first entering the trailer, the frig was the first thing I saw. My first thought was, "Oops, too big." Now, after camping a few times, I realize that while large in appearance, it's not as deep as you might think so is still perfect for two people. We're very happy we chose the larger refrigerator.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We, too, are happy we chose the 6.7ft3 fridge. No problems filling it up, even with just the two of us. Yeah, it's overkill for a weekend. And we could probably make do with a smaller fridge even for a week or two at a time. But we didn't plan this trailer intending to "make do".

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Just checked out our 5 cu.ft. - preparation for Moab this week. When I turned the fridge on it was 78 degrees in the trailer and 70 degrees inside the fridge. Set shore electric power, to 4 dots. Three and a half hours later the fiver reads 50 degrees inside. That seems a rather slow cool-down to me.

Will leave it running until we hitch up, fill it up, then change to propane. Hoping it gets cold enough in there to allow a drop down to 2 dots. Think I will also put in a frozen quart of water.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I plug mine in a couple days before a trip ( but I wasn't keeping a log ).
Fill the freezer with steaks etc. that were frozen in the home freezer.
Usually load it the day before.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Myron, when you are cooling it down you may want to go to 5 dots (full cooling) until it reaches the temp you want then throttle back. 20 degree drop in three hours should be considered normal. Most people let their units cool for at least a full day on shore power before leaving. I generally cool for 2 days and load it with frozen items and really cold things to help. Everything is pre-frozen or refrigerated before loading in the Dometic refer. Once I loaded it with some room-temp water and it took a full day to cool down.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Just checked out our 5 cu.ft. - preparation for Moab this week. When I turned the fridge on it was 78 degrees in the trailer and 70 degrees inside the fridge. Set shore electric power, to 4 dots. Three and a half hours later the fiver reads 50 degrees inside. That seems a rather slow cool-down to me.

Will leave it running until we hitch up, fill it up, then change to propane. Hoping it gets cold enough in there to allow a drop down to 2 dots. Think I will also put in a frozen quart of water.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post

Remember these are not as efficient as our "in house" compressor refers, takes awhile to cool down, at least 24 hours.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ah, that is a comfort, thanks. Refrigerators, hot water heaters, water pumps, etc., these, believe it or not, are trailer conveniences I am not technically at ease with yet. I still need my tech sgt to loan me a Beeman's so I can get on with the flight. Just did a re-check; down to 44° at 1730.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Myron, they take time to cool down on electricity. My understanding is the cool down is shortened by propane.

However, I've found if I put frozen bottle of water in the freezer and another frozen bottle of water in the refrigerator (with the little cube-shape fan running), I can get the refrigerator to cool down using electricity in about half the usual time.

And my 3-way is 26 years old!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Myron, they take time to cool down on electricity. My understanding is the cool down is shortened by propane
Yes, the propane burner usually puts out more heat (and therefore drives the unit to cool faster) than the electric element.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
The only thing we regret on our 19' is not getting the larger fridge...
A word from the "other side":

We have the 4.3 in our 19 and find it is quite big enough for the two of us, including room in the freezer for our special needs stuff.

Mind you, we are not big drinkers and have the "if you take one out, you put a replacement back in" policy. The only time we were a little pressed for space was when we were in Oregon and wanted to bring back more of those awesome loaves of Tillamook cheese they sell at Costco.

We make good use of the extra space we have because of the smaller fridge, and have been happy with our choice
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennrose View Post
Mind you, we are not big drinkers and have the "if you take one out, you put a replacement back in" policy. The only time we were a little pressed for space was when we were in Oregon and wanted to bring back more of those awesome loaves of Tillamook cheese they sell at Costco.
Last time we left Oregon, while camping right by the Tillamook plant, our freezer was loaded with their ice cream, and lots of blocks of their cheese in our fridge.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #18
Site Team

I'm not looking at my past (I know how I've been camping), I'm looking to my future (how I HOPE to camp and travel). Bigger is better, for me. The 3-way (close to 5cft) is sufficient for ME for 9 days. Beyond that... shopping time!

I'm not sure if RV refrigerators are similar to sticks 'n bricks refrigerators, but freezers are more efficient when PACKED and refrigerators more efficent when "loose." I'm expecting to take that idea to my new 5er. YMMV
Old 05-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Last time we left Oregon, while camping right by the Tillamook plant, our freezer was loaded with their ice cream, and lots of blocks of their cheese in our fridge.
Ice cream mmmmmmmmm.........
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #20
Site Team

I'm an Oregonian and have more than have a passing familarity with the Tillamook Cheese Factory. You do know, a lot of the cheddar cheese is actually made in Wisconsin for Tillamook, right? Check the label! The label is different for the Oregon cheese vs. Tillamook cheese made in Wisconsin. They actually sell the "Wisconsin cheese" at the Tillamook factory... in Tillamook! I know this because I have a friend that makes it in Wisconsin... no tasting on the line!

This is a true story.