Snow Safety - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2022, 03:41 PM   #1

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Snow Safety

Coming back to St. Louis today from Waterloo, IA I was passed by a Honda Ridgeline pulling a little Scamp just north of Hannibal, MO.

The photo doesn't show the conditions. Wind was perpendicular from Left to Right at 35 MPH and snow was really coming down. I was doing 45 MPH like the rest of the traffic and this hotrod with Iowa plates passed me like I was sitting still.

Places to go - People to see
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3570.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Yikes!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 05:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
If you drive like hell - not to worry, you'll get there.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Iowans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
If you drive like hell - not to worry, you'll get there.
I thought I could drive on ice and snow till I worked for a fellow who grew up in Michigan. He was about 10 times better than anything I could do. That said, the guy who passed you today had probably just said “Hold my beer and watch this.” It will catch up with him, just hope he doesn’t hurt or kill others.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-17-2022, 05:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I thought I could drive on ice and snow till I worked for a fellow who grew up in Michigan. He was about 10 times better than anything I could do. That said, the guy who passed you today had probably just said “Hold my beer and watch this.” It will catch up with him, just hope he doesn’t hurt or kill others.
Iowa Dave
I thought it might have been you with a new secret girlfriend heading to the warm south while your Escape stayed nice an clean in the barn..
Old 02-17-2022, 06:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Road warriors

I gave up being shocked, surprised, angry or amused with other drivers when I was passed on the Interstate by a dinky Toyota and saw the driver was reading a book, cradled in the steering wheel, reading it. This was years ago, well before AI self driving cars, and well before any semblence of intelligent driving .
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Meteorologist Jacob Dickey - at WCIA 3 News Illinois just posted this on Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Bah! Humbug!

Donna, that warning is merely the invitation for a swell opportunity for an adventourous ROAD TRIP! Saddle up, sister!
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:58 PM   #9

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I thought it might have been you with a new secret girlfriend heading to the warm south while your Escape stayed nice an clean in the barn..
I don’t have any secret girlfriends but I do fear that when I die my wife will sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them. I did go to town today and got a new tub of Damp-rid for the Escape and while I was at it I got some rolls of paper shop towels (the blue ones). I keep a full roll in the front box and change them out when they get down to about 1/2 and use the partials in the shop.

I priced new Goodyear Endurance tires this week and told my guy to get 5 for me. $137 each for the tire, the rest is extra. They were $108 when I got them in 2017. I’ll put steel stems on the wheels to assure no deflection of the stem from the TPMS “Tire cap” this time.

I have new brake sets in the shop and will inspect when I service the wheel bearings.
C’mon spring. I gotta go open water fishing.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-17-2022, 08:06 PM   #10

Damp-rid is good stuff
Old 02-17-2022, 08:21 PM   #11

Damp Rid

[LEF[/LEFT]
Quote:
Damp-rid is good stuff
I put a tub in the trailer when we winterize about the first of November. Then a new one about now. Been doing that for 10 years and have had good luck with no mold and no odors in the spring. Escape is always plugged in, but no heat. The soffit vents allow ambient temperature and humidity but no snow or rain. I check on her every few days. Gonna have a little family gathering on Sunday so I’ll be getting the Campfire in a Can out tomorrow.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-17-2022, 08:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Meteorologist Jacob Dickey - at WCIA 3 News Illinois just posted this on Facebook
I’m right in the middle of it, it was way worse a few weeks ago. Same type of thing we always deal with in the midwest, it’s always those who drive too fast that cause the problems.

Where I’m at winter calms down in a few weeks. From the looks of things the yearly flooding could be an issue, but that’s nothing new either.

Years ago the insurance companies stopped giving home owner policies to those we at one timed called-river rats, that along with the government ending programs to help them rebuild helped solve many problems.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:09 PM   #13

Lead a horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I’m right in the middle of it, it was way worse a few weeks ago. Same type of thing we always deal with in the midwest, it’s always those who drive too fast that cause the problems.

Where I’m at winter calms down in a few weeks. From the looks of things the yearly flooding could be an issue, but that’s nothing new either.

Years ago the insurance companies stopped giving home owner policies to those we at one timed called-river rats, that along with the government ending programs to help them rebuild helped solve many problems.
There’s a little town about 35 miles west of us called Chelsea, Iowa. Spring and summer flooding has been a problem there for at least 100 years. In the early 90s flooding of houses was severe. The government bought an area on top of a beautiful hill just north of town and way out of the floodplain. They bought out houses and financed new homes. A number of people jumped on the “free” new lot, complete with all new utilities. But a large percentage of the residents chose to remain in the flood zone without insurance, in houses that had experienced water up to the second floor. I was down there a while back and really just couldn’t figure it out.

It is a fact that I was in the local watering hole (pun intended) called the Silver Dollar a while back. The talk turned to flooding. One guy asked the other guys at his table if they had ever been in the bar when the water was flowing through and carp swam past the patrons who had their feet up on the barstool rungs. A couple said they had and the others claimed a dad or brother had seen that phenomenon. Now those are river rats.

She’s a little rough down there. But the Czech heritage runs deep and I’m always welcome when I enter with Vi’tame’ Vas.
“Are you Cesky?” “Yah half”. “Which half” everybody laughs.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
9B4BF5CC-20C9-442C-A849-E22B84DDA74C.jpg   A7B1E982-A3E1-4B58-A33A-64F378E7EE38.jpg   B01A2BF3-4332-419F-82F2-293DF3C09057.jpg   F3DB8382-5CE9-46A7-B983-827615A9ADFFa.jpg  
Old 02-18-2022, 07:58 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Speaking of watering hole,
There are some old pubs in Fells Point, a section of Baltimore on the water downtown. They have these gutters along the bar where water runs through, continuously. These were "men only" places and it was common for the men to save a trip to rest room and not leave their drink at the bar.https://content.kegworks.com/blog/a-...rough-spittoon
Old 02-18-2022, 08:39 AM   #15

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Coming back to St. Louis today from Waterloo, IA I was passed by a Honda Ridgeline pulling a little Scamp just north of Hannibal, MO.

The photo doesn't show the conditions. Wind was perpendicular from Left to Right at 35 MPH and snow was really coming down. I was doing 45 MPH like the rest of the traffic and this hotrod with Iowa plates passed me like I was sitting still.

Places to go - People to see
Looks slick, all right. He's going too fast. But what are you doing, taking a hand off the steering wheel to shoot a photo
Old 02-18-2022, 10:39 AM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
It looks like he is on the way to meet Jennifer.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
It looks like he is on the way to meet Jennifer.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Looks slick, all right. He's going too fast. But what are you doing, taking a hand off the steering wheel to shoot a photo
I drive on cruise control and steer with my knees so I can shoot photos and send emails from my laptop. I do have a hands free earpiece though for my calls.

Honestly, I saw this guy coming up and I just had to get a photo to show this forum. Sooooo, the forum is to blame for my bad driving.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:27 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB
SO many people pulling trailers are CLUELESS re the SPEED RATING of said trailer tires.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:41 AM   #20

Trailer: 2005 Rockwood 8240ss
You’re always a great drive, all the way to your accident! Things you hear as a Fireman
FFPaul is offline   Reply With Quote