So, what should I do now? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I actually like the manual awning on our Classic 19. But I also love the look of the frameless windows on the new models. So if it were me, I would get manual awning and frameless windows. But, I'm not sure how that helps you decide
2X. I really don't like the electric awning...
Old 07-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I would move up from the 2018 Limited Edition to the Special Edition...that being awning windows with manual awning. The opening rear windows will more than make up for the rear side window not opening when the awning is closed. No one on resale will ever fault you for the durability of the manual awning and the $700 Can saving.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I would move up from the 2018 Limited Edition to the Special Edition...that being awning windows with manual awning. The opening rear windows will more than make up for the rear side window not opening when the awning is closed. No one on resale will ever fault you for the durability of the manual awning and the $700 Can saving.
I'm leaning this way and being the Special Edition almost seals the deal!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #24

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That would not work as the awning arms would block the windows.....
We also have a December build date. Our current plan is to purchase the manual awning with the frameless windows. We just won't open the windows next to the awning arms unless the awning is out. I asked, but you have to buy all frameless or all framed but can't mix the two. The door and the kitchen window should give us all the airflow we need from that side.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I like the awning with the arms on it. Easy to deploy, problem free, and super adjustable. IMHO, the only negative about them is that they catch more bugs while driving than the armless awnings.
I would agree and add one more notation. The older, furled awning, is prone to getting wet while driving. In just about any rainstorm you will find a wet awning. If you choose to leave it rolled, you will have a moldy awning. The electric model is sealed at the leading edge, keeping out that driving rain.

Not the end of the world but one more maintenance item.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #26

Trailer: None now
And to further complicate Jim's choices there is this.
https://www.med.umn.edu/news-events/...g-wrong-choice
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #27
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
August completion date... ugh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here is a photo of the manual awning...notice the straight arms....
Is this picture with the framed windows or frameless? Hard to tell... looks frameless? Can anyone speak to the manual awnings and how involved the set up is? The last awning I had experience with took two people and a good 15-20 minutes to set up... and would always get stuck, etc.
However, we plan to keep the trailer a while and would rather not spend $$$ fixing a broken auto awning in 5 years.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
Can anyone speak to the manual awnings and how involved the set up is? The last awning I had experience with took two people and a good 15-20 minutes to set up... and would always get stuck, etc.
No problem deploying nor retracting. I've done it by myself dozens of times. In fact, I don't remember anytime that I had help. Don't need it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No problem deploying nor retracting. I've done it by myself dozens of times. In fact, I don't remember anytime that I had help. Don't need it.
Same for us but I usually am the awning opener and awning closer . Can just about do it in my sleep now . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:29 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Seems to me that Reace should post exactly why he is abandoning frameless windows so folks with trailers still in the pipeline can make the best informed decision.

It has been stated here that molded fiberglass has more flexing of the walls than stickies do- which makes sense- and that alone could be the reason for a higher failure rate. ETI has the real insight to the window problems, not this forum.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
For those people that want the manual awning but prefer frameless windows - has anyone asked ETI if they will mix and match windows? Sliders where the awning supports get in the way, frameless everywhere else, including the rear.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
For those people that want the manual awning but prefer frameless windows - has anyone asked ETI if they will mix and match windows? Sliders where the awning supports get in the way, frameless everywhere else, including the rear.
It was asked. Check post 24. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post254112
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:35 PM   #33

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
Can anyone speak to the manual awnings and how involved the set up is?
Watch the (now dated) Escape Orientation video starting at 18:00. Link below. He goes through the whole set up. The one thing he doesn’t show is the arms can detach from low on the trailer and posted straight down with a stake if desired. The Carefree Fiesta is really a great bulletproof awning.

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:47 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Seems to me that Reace should post exactly why he is abandoning frameless windows so folks with trailers still in the pipeline can make the best informed decision.

It has been stated here that molded fiberglass has more flexing of the walls than stickies do- which makes sense- and that alone could be the reason for a higher failure rate. ETI has the real insight to the window problems, not this forum.
Right on Ross . That was always my thought but I am not the boss . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:40 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post

Right on Ross . That was always my thought but I am not the boss . Pat

Actually Hehr windows would be the most accurate source of information, ETI maybe installing them but Hehr is manufacturing and replacing the defective ones.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #36

Trailer: 2012 19
I wish the awning did not end in the middle of the windows. When I wash the trailer or in a heavy rain there can be a waterfall landing in the window drains with some water coming inside. The frameless would do away with the drains but then opening the window is an issue. Graham
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I am not sure you would get the correct story directly from the window company as you would from ETI.
I think hearing the decisions leading up to these changes would be a great talk that Reace could give at the next appreciation camp out dinner.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
We have a 21 on order.... I think we would rather hear some statistics we’ll before a campfire. I would prefer to stick with what we ordered but if it more than likely that we are going to have ongoing window issues we may want to rethink it.
jeffrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We will be picking up our 21' in September and were thrilled that we were able to get the manual awning and the sliding windows. We loved our awning and it took no time to put it up or down. Yes, it did get a little mold sitting over the winter in the rain; however, Mr. Clean erasers made short work of that. Plus, now we can get a screen room so that we can, once again, have an 'extra' room so we and our dogs can go in and out of the trailer freely without having every bug in the area join us in the trailer.

Insofar as the windows are concerned, it a matter of preference. We always enjoyed having the windows slide wide open and, if it rained, we usually had the awning out a bit (slanted, so that rain ran off) and the sliding windows under the awning opened. Ran the Maxx Fan and we were set.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #40

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I didn’t mind the manual awning much - could easily do it alone once I got it down. But I really like the electric easily put it in at night so I don’t worry I have left it halfway out in heavy rain it drains well when partially in. But if you want to attach a shade curtain you would want the manual. Frameless windows I like mine but I think I’m already having an issue with my bathroom window but I like the look of them and the back opening windows
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote