Solo Stove Ranger - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2021, 09:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Air alone does not burn, but wood smoke, which is largely a product of incomplete combustion (usually due to lack of enough oxygen to support complete combustion), does contain combustibles which will burn when provided oxygen in the presence of enough heat (the wood smoke is the fuel in this example of the classic fire triangle).

That's what's happening at the very hot region where additional air is introduced near top of these 'stoves', resulting in reduction of the smoke to approaching nil. Yes, there are likely still small particulate and fume fractions of the smoke which are not combustible in these conditions and may escape ()

The "contraption" simply provides a more efficient setting for all of this to occur than the typical 'open fire ring', by confining and directing the heat, oxygen, and fuel to a region where they can all work to the result of more complete combustion.

It's not voodoo or a sham, just a reasonably elegant application of combustion science.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:28 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Does combustion in this device measurably reduce particulate or noxious gases? Sure, it burns hotter....but better?
A lack of visible smoke suggests that yes, particulates are reduced. It probably reduces both other unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide as well. Oxides of nitrogen may be higher, due to the higher combustion temperature.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:19 PM   #23

Trailer: 2012 E19
One night I camped in a NF CG a few miles north of Mt. Rushmore. Lovely wooded area. Unfortunately there was no breeze and conditions were such that the smoke from all the campfires simply hovered, so the entire place was horribly smoky. If all the campers had been using this type of fire pit, the night would have been very pleasant; instead it was miserable (perhaps hazardous to health) and I had to stay inside with the windows closed in self-defense.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I believe so!

In the last shot I sent in, you can see the flames come thru the little vents on the sides. Those are afterburners. And they work. That is why the thing is smokeless.

It burns the air again, making it highly efficient. This is a game changer.
I've got the larger Yukon model. It is ridiculously large, very expensive and really unwieldy. It also burns a lot of wood. It's a backyard firepit only. I'd not buy the Yukon again, though I'd consider one of the smaller models.

It works well, however. The smoke is drastically reduced through secondary combustion where the heated air is pulled in through convection and helps ignite particulates and gases coming of the burning wood.

Here's a review I found that describes how they work: https://www.writermomforhire.com/sol...ire-pros-cons/

For camping, I carry a gas firepit and use the campground pit when I want a real fire (and simply deal with the smoke).
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:01 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Some folks with a Bigfoot trailer had a Solo at the Davey Crockett rally two years ago. They invited some folks over after dinner including Rita and me. There were eight people seated around the Solo. It was very nice to watch the flames from the fire and the fire gave off a lot of heat. The only thing you aren’t able to do is see the coals at the bottom of the fire like you can in a wood campfire. Not a big deal. They are nice and well built. The next night some folks randomly stopped by our Escape. I got out the propane fueled Campfire in a Can. Hooked it up to my 11 lb cylinder and set the campfire under the tilted awning. It “come a rain” as they used to say. Pretty soon six men were standing and setting under the awning enjoying the fire and getting a little damp when the wind would gust. Four wives were inside the 21 at the dinette. One fellow got a call on his phone from his wife who was at their camper. She was concerned that he’d been gone 90 minutes for just a quick trip to the restoom. He was under the awning, a complete stranger for the first 5 minutes and a new friend after that. The old Dean Martin standard comes to mind. That’s the camping I love. Solo stove, propane campfire, wood fire, no fire at all but fireflies. Memories are made of this. Have a great day. I gotta drive 400 miles west today into a 22mph quartering wind and through Chicago but that doesn’t bother me, “Hell, I’m a professional”.
Have a great day.
https://www.google.com/search?q=memo...&client=safari
Iowa Dave
Old 03-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Thanks Guys, those were really good answers!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:24 AM   #27

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Less Wood Burnt Means More Money In Your Pocket

One item that has not been mentioned is these stoves burn half or less wood than a conventional fire pit. Terry and I discussed over and over that we were going broke buying wood. After looking at both the Solo stoves and the BioLite Fire Pit we decided on the BioLite. It's a four person fire pit, and since purchasing have never even used a single bundle of wood, much less the 2-3 bundles we were using.

We've easily used the BioLite 300 times in the past two years. Just saving one bundle of wood at $5.00 for 200 nights is a savings of $1,000 over those two years. The BioLite was $200 when we purchased it at REI, so we still have saved $800 over those two years. Then think about if you're paying $6-8 for a bundle of wood.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Good point Perry! My usual fire lasts about 90 minutes and consumes about three pieces of wood.

Dave is right about not being able to see the coals, but it doesn't seem to matter much. Little by little we make improvements to our lives. They don't always catch on right away. And some people choose otherwise.

So be it. None of my clothes smell like smoke anymore.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 E19
Some might say, if you don't wind up smelling like smoke, have you truly been camping?
My answer: you betcha.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:20 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Some might say, if you don't wind up smelling like smoke, have you truly been camping?
My answer: you betcha.

Reviving this thread just to say how much we are loving our solo stove. It is unbelievably easy to light which means that we enjoy fires more frequently and also when we only have time for a quick fire. My son will be getting our gas fire pit as now we no longer need it!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote