Some clarity on some options - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Some clarity on some options

Hello

I have been receiving numerous emails and calls regarding a few extra options that customers have posted they have added to their trailer. I just want to add some clarity as to the potential need for some of these options....

EZE Winterizing T valve - If you choose to winterize your unit with anti-freeze in the water lines, rather than pouring anti-freeze into the fresh water tank and pumping it into the water lines via the pump, the T valve allows you to draw directly from the anti-freeze jug. The benefit is you don't have to pour anti-freeze into your holding tank. The down side of using anti-freeze is once it is in the lines, the taste of the anti-freeze is almost impossible to remove. I have had many customers call in the spring looking for a remedy. If you plan to use the water in the trailer for drinking or cooking, I strongly recommend that you blow the water lines out rather than using the anti-freeze method.

Toilet Shut-off Valve - If the toilet valve fails during a trip, this would allow you to shut the water off to the toilet and still use water in the trailer until the repair can take place. The toilet is mounted very close to the back wall making it difficult to remove the toilet and undo the water line from the back of the toilet. We have remedied this by changing the water line installation to the toilet. You can now easily remove the toilet and then undo the water line. In doing so, the new method does not leave any room to install the shut-off valve. The only bathroom that the valve can be installed if required is on the 21'.

The 'Texas fridge fan' - This is an additional fan mounted on the exterior rear of the fridge to force air past the cooling fins to help the fridge cool on hot days. The kit includes a heat sensor switch to activate the fan when the temperature is high as well as a master on/off switch, which allows you to completely deactivate the fan if you choose.

Hope this helps...

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks Reace! The information is valuable to me. I appreciate the time you took to respond to us with facts, truly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Thanks Reace!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I used compressed air to clear all water out, then added the "T" valve so the pump could suck antifreeze through the system. But, I didn't follow through ---did not employ the water pump--instead, I manually poured antifreeze down the two sink drains and into the toilet. It now looks like I am better off as things stand. Unless-- I can accept the un-removable taste of antifreeze. Do I have that right?
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Some people must be really sensitive. I've never noticed a problem. I do smell chlorine in water from the tap at home.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Some people must be really sensitive. I've never noticed a problem. I do smell chlorine in water from the tap at home.
I sanitize my system every spring with bleach and I have never tasted any antifreeze taste after that. (Takes a couple flushings to get that chlorine smell out)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ya. Yet, why take a chance and get kicked in the head?
Attached Thumbnails
kicker2.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I sanitize my system every spring with bleach and I have never tasted any antifreeze taste after that. (Takes a couple flushings to get that chlorine smell out)
I have never used the antifreeze in my water lines, but I do use bleach whenever there is a noticeable off taste. I don't think I have done it the past two years now.

We do bring along filtered water for our coffee, tea, etc. Even though Calgary has good water, I still use filtered water for my coffee at home too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always carry my coffee and dog water with me from home. My use of tank or campground water is for sanitation and washing dishes. I learned on my first camping trip that my dog's taste in water was not as I expected and since then I bring it. A 5 gal contained will last me about a week. If I run short I boil some water.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We always bring along a PUR filtering pitcher that we use for drinking water - seems to do a very good job of making most water taste ok. I also use one of the hose end RV carbon filters on any water I put into the fresh water tank.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
We always bring along a PUR filtering pitcher that we use for drinking water - seems to do a very good job of making most water taste ok. I also use one of the hose end RV carbon filters on any water I put into the fresh water tank.
Good idea, I think I may have one of those lying around, might as well use it.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #12

Trailer: 19'
Any one use, or know anything about, the water filter that Escape will install. It`s on the build sheet for $31.00. Not really sure what it is. j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #13

That is the same thing we are talking about, you install it at the faucet so the clean water runs thru your hose into your tank or lines. It is normally good for 6 months and easily obtainable from WW and CW. I'm sure Amazon has them also http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40043-Ta...+water+filters
Old 12-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19ft. "Eh'gloo"
The 'Texas fridge fan' - This is an additional fan mounted on the exterior rear of the fridge to force air past the cooling fins to help the fridge cool on hot days. The kit includes a heat sensor switch to activate the fan when the temperature is high as well as a master on/off switch, which allows you to completely deactivate the fan if you choose.

Hope this helps...

Reace[/QUOTE]

Hi Reace,
Does your Texas Fan option include a solar panel to power the fan or do you tie it into the trailer's electrical system?
Scruffy Varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #15

That option is part of your 12v system and is separate from the $850 solar option.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Hi Greg,
The "Texas Fan" is wired into the trailer's 12 volt power. I do not know the amp draw.
I guess because the first ones were installed in Escapes going to Texas by request, the coined name stuck. We are not the only region of the country were this will help improve your refrigerator performance.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19ft. "Eh'gloo"
Thanks for the confirmations. An aftermarket (Camco) kit uses an integral solar panel to power the fan, thus there is no draw on the trailer's 12v system. The unknown is how well the roof mounted fairing aligns with the landing molded into the roof of the 19'. Here is the link to the Tweety's ad: (Camco Solar RV Refrigerator Vent Cover/ Fan).
Greg
Scruffy Varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #18
Site Team

Well, isn't that interesting?! That might open up more seasons for those folks that camp in those higher temperatures and worry about keeping food from spoiling. Too bad there isn't any reviews on the site. Anybody know of any?
Old 12-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Well, isn't that interesting?! That might open up more seasons for those folks that camp in those higher temperatures and worry about keeping food from spoiling. Too bad there isn't any reviews on the site. Anybody know of any?
Amazon.com: Camco 42165 RV Refrigerator Solar Roof Vent System: Automotive
Solar-powered RV Fridge Vent System - Camco 42165 - Refrigerator Accessories - Camping World
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #20
Site Team

Amazon review: Also, if the refrigerator side of your R.V. is in the shade (which is preferable) the solar cell will not power the fan, (Duh) so don't forget to flip the switch (included in install kit) to 12V. power so the fan will be running.

This may be a concern for boondockers..