Some things I learned at my orientation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My 17B is set up ( by Reace ) to tow level.
My question is, if you use a weight distribution hitch, is the theory stated above redundant?
Old 04-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #22

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My 17B is set up ( by Reace ) to tow level.
My question is, if you use a weight distribution hitch, is the theory stated above redundant?
Before my orientation I had always heard level or slightly nose down on a single axle trailer, so it surprised me to hear slightly nose up. That's why I took special note of it. I think this is something we should confirm with Reace though given its importance. I'll send ETI an email and report back what I'm told.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
The word directly from Reace is: "we always recommend traveling with your trailer as level as possible"

So, please disregard my earlier note about towing 1" high being best.

If a moderator is reading this, can we please delete that first bullet point in my opening message? I think it's ok if we debate this topic on page 3, but I'd rather not have people coming initially to this thread see inaccurate information on towing.

EDIT: Thanks moderator (whomever you are). It has been deleted.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:53 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I oriented my cover that way from the get-go as it was the only way it made sense to me. Nonetheless, I lost my top cover--the "lid"--somewhere along the way. At the suggestion of someone on this forum, I drilled holes in the cover and fastened the top cover with zip ties.
Good idea, thanks. I've noticed that I'm having more trouble with that lid as time goes by; securing it with zip ties should help.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
The word directly from Reace is: "we always recommend traveling with your trailer as level as possible"
Towing as level as possible is best. With regard to a high or low angle when towing the trailer...it was explained to me that when towing with just a ball hitch (not a w/d hitch) that it was "ok" to tow slightly high vs. slightly low for the reason given before...in an emergency stop a slightly high angle will force the vehicle front end down vs a slightly low angle will force the vehicle front end up....possibly reducing your braking ability.

Disclaimer.....I am not a towing expert...just mentioning what I was lead to understand.