something to think about - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
And how is this going to be enforced? I can just picture "the man" knocking on your camper door and saying, "according to our records, you have stayed in your trailer for 29 consecutive nights. One more night and you will be legally defined as a full timer, and we will have to take you in. I would advise that you spend the next couple of nights in a motel."

You may all have to escape to Canada where it is legal to stay in your rv as long as you want, providing that you can manage the cold in the winter.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 04-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 2001 Casita
Truck drivers keep a log. It might be done like that. It could be by using the info on the number of nights you stayed at a state or federal park. We might even be forced to get a permit every time we travel. For a small fee of course.
The part that really concerns me is the requirement to adhere to building codes. I don't know if the Escape would meet these codes. We might not be able to import an Escape if this bill is passed. The first statement defines this. It would be like trying to import a foreign car.

"This rulemaking proposes to incorporate ANSI A119.5-15 and NFPA 1192-15 consensus standards for Recreational Vehicles by reference. The ANSI A119.5-15 standard covers fire and life safety criteria and plumbing for PMRVs considered necessary to provide a reasonable level of protection from loss of life from fire and explosion. The NFPA 1192-15 standard provides the minimum construction standards considered necessary to protect against loss of life from fire and explosion for non-Park Model Recreational Vehicles.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
I don't like this title

"something to think about"

I really prefer post titles that give some clue as to what the post is about.

David
Old 04-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky View Post
I just realized your my neighbor! I'm just south of you!

Wow, Laredo eh?

Too hot for me, and I like heat.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:16 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I'm one who is glad to be informed of issues like this that could effect us all. Usually, unenforceable regulations like this one is pretty easy to squash .... in its early stages. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

There are many similar issues that I find concerning ... like continued funding for our Park systems (at all levels of government) and wild spaces..... funding to keep our road infrastructure intact .... particularly less traveled back roads and others. As budgets drop, it may well require our voices to keep poorly thought out regulations like this one out of the law books. I could easily see a regulation such as this being a way to extract more fees from RV owners .... why else make an attempt at a such a regulation.

I hope discussions like this thread isn't seen as about politics but rather as a "heads up". Please continue.

Tom
Old 04-03-2016, 05:58 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
And how is this going to be enforced? I can just picture "the man" knocking on your camper door and saying, "according to our records, you have stayed in your trailer for 29 consecutive nights. One more night and you will be legally defined as a full timer, and we will have to take you in. I would advise that you spend the next couple of nights in a motel."

You may all have to escape to Canada where it is legal to stay in your rv as long as you want, providing that you can manage the cold in the winter.
Naw. Just bring a small tent with you. Pitch it every so often. When Big Brother comes knocking, just tell him you are not full timing in the RV because some of the time you use the tent!

And the move to Canada probably wouldn't work. Whatever stupid bureaucrats in the US do, there will be stupid bureaucrats in Canada who will think it is a good idea and will jump on the band wagon. Of course, certain priviledged groups in both countries will be exempted.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&R_MA View Post

David
If you knew the ending you would not read the book.....
Old 04-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I'm one who is glad to be informed of issues like this that could effect us all. Usually, unenforceable regulations like this one is pretty easy to squash .... in its early stages. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

There are many similar issues that I find concerning ... like continued funding for our Park systems (at all levels of government) and wild spaces..... funding to keep our road infrastructure intact .... particularly less traveled back roads and others. As budgets drop, it may well require our voices to keep poorly thought out regulations like this one out of the law books. I could easily see a regulation such as this being a way to extract more fees from RV owners .... why else make an attempt at a such a regulation.

I hope discussions like this thread isn't seen as about politics but rather as a "heads up". Please continue.

Tom
Pat
Old 04-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:

David
ETI is a Canadian company. many (most?) of the people using this Forum are Canadians. This thread is about US politics. Yes it can be argued that it is about a proposed US regulation that might impact upon US RV users, but that fact is being used as an excuse to post ones own political viewpoints here.

To me, this thread, out of common courtesy, should at least be named to reflect that it is about US politics, so that our Canadian friends can more easily ignore it. They, like many of us Americans, can get our fill of politics easily elsewhere. I personally think that this thread already contains posts that are violating Forum rules. At the very least it should be more accurately named.

Let's not be like noisy US neighbors in a nice quiet Canadian campground.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #30

I beg to differ with you Eric, I'm not running for any office nor am I tying to collect votes, that is the definition of politics. I am merely disseminating information, you can do what you want with it, but please do not label it.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

David
I'm in complete agreement with you and Eric. The thread title is very important and should not be just an open ended statement, but instead give an idea of the subject of the thread. At FGRV we often change the title to better reflect the subject of the thread. Makes searching way easier too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I thought it pretty obvious Luther of Lutherville is a the-sky-is-falling blowhard.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I thought it pretty obvious Luther of Lutherville is a the-sky-is-falling blowhard.
Actually not. He has a way of communicating based on how he thinks ... Just like you have.

For all of us that have RV of any kind should do a little research and see that it applies to 'us'.

I will post some examples from my trailer later but for now this is the issue. I called the DOT and HUD to discuss this.

RV's have never had a 'housing code' because they were considered temporary, used a few weeks a year, and were considered a fancy tent. There are DOT regulations regarding the highway safety aspects of the outside.

The RV manufacturers have fought to keep even simple plumbing and electrical codes from applying to their products. They must comply with DOT and anything else is voluntary.

RV are no longer fancy tents ... And manufacturers cut every possible corner to cut costs and remain competitive. People are looking for affordable housing and an RV can meet the need.

So don't shoot the messengers, instead do some independent research and discuss the real issues and how they apply to me and you .. RV owners.

Search thetinylife.com to get you started. Notice some have wheels ... Why?
Old 04-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #34
Site Team

Post of the day Klem. It's not really political. It's a proposed reg that could potentially affect any full timer in the US. What's a more appropriate forum than an RV forum to discuss the ramifications of that?
Old 04-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #35

From thetinyhouse ..

Next powerful tool to have in the tool box is know the laws, codes and speak the language. I can’t stress this enough, it take a lot of time and it is a frustrating process, but being legal savvy is very helpful. For example, if you state your primary dwelling is, in fact, the normal sized house you park your Tiny House behind, this means that you do not live in the Tiny House and it is simply a trailer. By knowing the system we can exploit it’s weaknesses in a legal manner, much as a shady lawyer would do to get his client off on a technicality. Basically you want to legally show you live somewhere else, that no one lives in the trailered Tiny House, and that it is a trailer that is compliance with zoning.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #36
Site Team

Good advice but I don't really agree with them on this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
From thetinyhouse ..

Basically you want to legally show you live somewhere else, that no one lives in the trailered Tiny House, and that it is a trailer that is compliance with zoning.

That sounds like an attempt to skirt the law, rather than complying with it and working for sensible laws and regs that benefit everyone. If you live in it, you live in it. It shouldn't be illegal to do so. If it is, they should focus their efforts on changing that.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #37

Usually this is a tax assessor or they just send a letter, but you can usually settle their fears when they see that it is on wheels and you can say that you are storing it here for a week, month, etc. in accordance with zoning laws; at that point pull out a copy of the code and they will generally leave you alone. Again, knowing the legal speak can get you out of this.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Perhaps we should get worked up about those tags on cushions and pillows that say Do Not Remove ( prior to sale ).
Old 04-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I'm in complete agreement with you and Eric. The thread title is very important and should not be just an open ended statement, but instead give an idea of the subject of the thread. At FGRV we often change the title to better reflect the subject of the thread. Makes searching way easier too.
My thread, my title, your thread, your title, very simple.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My thread, my title, your thread, your title, very simple.
My post, my opinion, very simple.

I am simply wanting to help people.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Closed Thread