spare tire mounting - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2019, 12:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Question spare tire mounting

Noob ?? here..sorry.

WE have a E-21 on order.... is the spare mounted to a separate spare wheel holder, OR is it mounted directly TO the trailer rear wall, [as Casita does it]??
If so do we need was wondering if we need to bring some small, 'rubber bumper pads' for ETI to install... between the spare and the rear gel coat?
Also..does the door have a 'stop' so that it will not swing open too far and damage the gel coat by the hinges??
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:06 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Mounts to a bracket that's mounted on the bumper.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:13 AM   #3

Trailer: ?
No rubber bumpers required.
The door, at least on my recently completed 21’, only opens 90* so hitting the side of the trailer isn’t likely under normal circumstances.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
There are a couple inches of clearance between the spare tire and the rear of the Escape. Plenty of room to stretch your tire cover back over your tire when you check your inflation or access your tire. I purchased some security lug nuts with a fluted head which fit a socket that came with the kit. Not a totally secure setup but better than nothing. Before I got these I had a Krypton bike cable and lock securing the tire. Unwieldy to thread and lock up but a deterrent none the less and no cash layout for me as it was “in inventory”.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I purchased some security lug nuts with a fluted head which fit a socket that came with the kit.
Iowa Dave
OK, so if I'm desperate for a spare tire, rather than undo 3 lug nuts, one with a lock, I'll just undo the two bolts holding the spare tire carrier on. I can deal with the locking lug nut later. Then I'll have a spare spare tire and carrier.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
OK, so if I'm desperate for a spare tire, rather than undo 3 lug nuts, one with a lock, I'll just undo the two bolts holding the spare tire carrier on. I can deal with the locking lug nut later. Then I'll have a spare spare tire and carrier.

Ron
The weak link in the chain.....
Old 10-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Theft

If we had a justice system in this country and I was King there would be a larger market for prosthetic hands. Just saying
Iowa Dave
Old 10-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Could you replace the lug bolts holding the spare tire in place with something much longer? I wonder if I could then add a second spare. Could come in handy on them long, lonely Baja drives south.
Attached Thumbnails
spareT.jpg  
Old 10-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If we had a justice system in this country and I was King there would be a larger market for prosthetic hands. Just saying
Iowa Dave
I thought that if you were King there wouldn't be any market for prosthetic hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Could you replace the lug bolts holding the spare tire in place with something much longer? I wonder if I could then add a second spare. Could come in handy on them long, lonely Baja drives south.
Are you serious about Baja? I've considered a second spare but I've never even had one flat so far and there's lots of tire shops in Baja.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ah, with every passing week I get more serious about it. If I could I would clear my calendar tomorrow and load up. It is not just I want to have the perfect fish taco or to swim with the dolphins....or listen to your stories about St. Petersburg (make that first on my list). My problem is the other half of us... will she even tolerate the drive going to Quartzsite. It's a big question. A lot will depend upon an upcoming surgical procedure --we do not know if it will do her any good. I will keep you updated.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
My Spare Broke Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
We were on a long trip, I got to the campground and walked around the trailer and thought something was missing. Can you imagine being behind a trailer and the spare breaks off. The square tube broke off the plate that bolts to the bumper. I hope a Honda didn’t get it in the windshield.

So my answer is no, you shouldn’t add another spare to your existing mount. If it was me, I would make 2 mounts, side by side, tied together and gusseted.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
... So my answer is no, you shouldn’t add another spare to your existing mount. If it was me, I would make 2 mounts, side by side, tied together and gusseted.
I agree, but to avoid blocking the tail lamps with the extra spare, neither one could be right in the middle, so two new mounts (or one new double mount) would be required.

Alternatives for carrying two spares would be to use the original carrier plus a separate location for the additional one:
  • under the floor, between the frame rails, ahead of the bumper and behind the fresh water tank
  • under the floor, between the frame rails, ahead of the grey waste tank
  • under the tongue
  • on the tongue, right in front of the body (instead of or inside the front storage box)
  • in or on the tow vehicle
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
2nd spare??

Why not just chain one to the side loops in the truck bed??
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote