Spare Tire under the 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 07:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Spare Tire under the 19

Escape products have something that is not normally found on light weight trailers...a real rear bumper
I would like to relocate the rear mounted spare tire so it does not get pushed into the rear by a high truck bumper etc. Has anyone relocated it to the under side just behind the fresh water tank?
When I was at the factory I noticed the setup of the rear frame and a good amount of room off the ground. However I did not measure to see if it would fit between any cross members.
I would place it up front where the battery is but that will be taken up by a mini split A/C unit.
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Maybe hard to do if you get the optional foam spray underneath to protect the tanks.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Provided it will fit between the cross members, I don't see why you couldn't. Maybe a wide metal carrier bar that attaches to two of the cross members with the spare secured above it.

I wouldn't want to put my spare aluminum wheel there however, because it would get caked with road gunk. Besides, I like the look of it on the rear, and the maple leaf cover.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:11 PM   #4

Good point about the muck on the tire. Maybe I will put it in a plastic tire bag that is used here in the great white north when the tire shops return your snow tires...not that I worry about the dirt on my truck spare.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Good point about the muck on the tire. Maybe I will put it in a plastic tire bag that is used here in the great white north when the tire shops return your snow tires...not that I worry about the dirt on my truck spare.
What are you towing with? Can you just throw your trailer spare in the back of your tow vehicle?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:52 PM   #6

2018 Ford f150 ecoboost...so putting it in the bed on the side out tray along with the generator and firewood is not a problem...unless I forget it at home
Old 11-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd be more concerned about scraping the spare off on a boulder, or even the exit from a gas station. Never occurred to me to worry about the spare on the back of the trailer, although I constantly worry about the spare on the back of the RAV4 when backing into parking spots.
I think it's a case of assessing the risk. Just need an actuary.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #8

Quote:
2018 Ford f150 ecoboost...so putting it in the bed on the side out tray along with the generator and firewood is not a problem...unless I forget it at home
Chain it to the tongue of the trailer when at home so you have to throw it in the truck in order to hitch up the trailer.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:57 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Speaking of spares, check your tow vehicle spare. I recently found out my Ram 1500 which can tow 8,000 lbs came with a temporary spare. Seems common these days. Went out and bought an extra 20" wheel to carry as a full sized spare.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:34 AM   #10

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Speaking of spares, check your tow vehicle spare. I recently found out my Ram 1500 which can tow 8,000 lbs came with a temporary spare. Seems common these days. Went out and bought an extra 20" wheel to carry as a full sized spare.
And make sure it is still there. We added the antitheft part to our spares crank that needs the associated part to lower the spare. Not needed as all the thief had to do was crawl under the back and using a bar wedged into the metal piece that holds the tire up force down until the assembly loosened. Then he simply had to hold the very heavy tire up and feed the metal piece out of the way so he could take the tire.
I have no idea when it was taken as it is not noticeable unless you are under the truck . But it happened sometime last year between the times I checked the tire pressures that summer.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
And make sure it is still there. We added the antitheft part to our spares crank that needs the associated part to lower the spare. Not needed as all the thief had to do was crawl under the back and using a bar wedged into the metal piece that holds the tire up force down until the assembly loosened. Then he simply had to hold the very heavy tire up and feed the metal piece out of the way so he could take the tire. I have no idea when it was taken as it is not noticeable unless you are under the truck . But it happened sometime last year between the times I checked the tire pressures that summer.
Bummer.... I wish the thief a deserved lifetime of flat tires and bent rims.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
A timely question, as I was just looking at that yesterday as a consideration for my trailer should I decide to put a cargo box on the rear. I would want a cargo box at least 20" deep to accommodate my propane Fire Bowl, and with the tire in place would need to be an additional 8" out from the bumper, which is too much for my liking.

If one could mount the tire tight to the underside of the body, the tire would not be as low as other things underneath, including the sewer pipe storage tube. s well, if the tire was as close to the axle as possible, it would be better. The unfortunate thing is, is that the tire is about 29" in diameter, and the cross braces are all much closer. I was planning to do another check to see how it would work with the tire only up to the cross member which I believe is 2". This would allow me to still put 2" of rigid insulation under the floor if desired. But someone put a couple inches of fresh snow on the ground around my trailer, I guess I will just have to be a tough Canadian and check it out and report back later.

This is one tire mount I was considering using.
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #13

Maybe the tire could sit on a tilt with the front of it on the cross member and the rear on the trailer fibreglass. Even if you did the foam thing...you could cut out the foam so the rear of the tire sat up into it.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Maybe the tire could sit on a tilt with the front of it on the cross member and the rear on the trailer fibreglass. Even if you did the foam thing...you could cut out the foam so the rear of the tire sat up into it.
My thought was that if I do 2" of foam it will become a level surface. I don't think to tip it would achieve much, but will look at that. I just have convince myself that the tire will not be too low and cause any problems.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
I recall a posted picture on the forum of a 5.0TA with the spare tire mounted on the upper front of the trailer. Out of the way, easy to access from the truck bed. (And more secure from theft). It was posted a couple of years ago.
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
I recall a posted picture on the forum of a 5.0TA with the spare tire mounted on the upper front of the trailer. Out of the way, easy to access from the truck bed. (And more secure from theft). It was posted a couple of years ago.
I don't recall that, but that doesn't mean anything. I would love to see a photo of that, to see how it was done, and how it looks. I have contemplated this position for mounting the spare, just wonder how it would look.

I imagine it was mounted to the pin box, right?
Old 11-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #17

EggCampers left the factory with their full spare lying on the floor of the entry closet. Then many, like ours, got moved to the rear bumper to free up more room in the closet. But, thinking of storing the spare inside an Escape, it would make a great footrest under the dinette. (Just kidding! No aesthetics enthusiast/home decor hate mail, please!).
Old 11-02-2017, 03:35 PM   #18

I have also seen that photo of it mounted up front on a 5 and will try to find it tonight.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
EggCampers left the factory with their full spare lying on the floor of the entry closet. Then many, like ours, got moved to the rear bumper to free up more room in the closet. But, thinking of storing the spare inside an Escape, it would make a great footrest under the dinette. (Just kidding! No aesthetics enthusiast/home decor hate mail, please!).
I tell you what, Dale. You convince my wife this is a good idea, and I'll do it. Would you like her email address or phone number.
Quote:
I have also seen that photo of it mounted up front on a 5 and will try to find it tonight.
That would be great. I did a search with a few different parameters, and came up short.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I imagine it was mounted to the pin box, right?
Be careful about the max pin weight (900 lbs) and the max payload weight for your truck if you move the spare tire from the back to the front. For my F-150 Supercrew with a fully loaded trailer and 4 people in the truck, I'm very close to both max weights. Moving the spare tire to the front would make both weights worse and perhaps over the max. specs. Of course, if you don't carry extra passengers and your trailer is lightly loaded, this may not be a problem.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote