Speaking of leaks - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2020, 11:15 PM   #41

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrpal View Post
Thanks everyone. This was the info I was looking for. Very helpful.
I know how difficult it is to pull the trigger on a large purchase like an Escape trailer. I literally spent years looking at all sorts of trailers; eventually settled on the 2019 5TA. it is a good chunk of coin no doubt but in the end it really came down to two things: 1. I wanted to maximize the dollars I was spending while trying to keep overall expenditure down i.e. value for my dollars - and in that sense I got the most value in terms of quality, space, towability and resaleability in the Escape products and 2. secondly, we wanted to really customize out trailer to our look - nobody I researched gave us such a customizable product for this type of expenditure - we chose all our own flooring, material, countertop, some from local companies in our own town which means nobody will ever have a 5TA that looks like ours - it is truly unique! You cannot get that from Oliver or Airstream without spending a LOT MORE MONEY!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:39 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We are contemplating adding a room to our 2015 19.
Cost should be approx $750 for the two Lafuma zero gravity chairs to make the new 100 sq ft room under the awning really relaxing.
Probably get 10 more years out of this trailer.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:50 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If you can’t figure this out, perhaps an Escape is not for you. The people who buy and enjoy one or more Escapes think their expenditure is prudent and it’s not anyone’s job to sell you on the beauty, practicality, durability, and satisfaction of ownership. If you feel the stick built trailers or another brand of fiberglass are superior to an Escape, get your money out and get one. Money talks Bull....walks.
Iowa Dave
🤔 Well said.......
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I keep reading about customization but for me that concept only applies to the original buyer purchasing a new trailer , to subsequent buyers it’s all just standard equipment .
Making every feature / improvement on a trailer an option doesn’t make the trailer better , it only makes the purchasing / manufacturing process more complicated and expensive
I’ve shown my Casita & Escape to probably 100 people and I keep getting the sane response over and over “ It’s cute , small and expensive “
I camped in a canvas wall tent for almost 30 years and it never leaked , not a glowing endorsement in my book and not enough to make me want to return to tenting
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:37 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I keep reading about customization but for me that concept only applies to the original buyer purchasing a new trailer , to subsequent buyers it’s all just standard equipment .
Making every feature / improvement on a trailer an option doesn’t make the trailer better , it only makes the purchasing / manufacturing process more complicated and expensive
I’ve shown my Casita & Escape to probably 100 people and I keep getting the sane response over and over “ It’s cute , small and expensive “
I camped in a canvas wall tent for almost 30 years and it never leaked , not a glowing endorsement in my book and not enough to make me want to return to tenting
My trailer has almost every option available at the time except solar. Since purchase, I have customized it much further than Escape would have ever agreed to.

That's a primary reason that I like the Escape over an Oliver or Airstream - it is easy to modify to the way you want it.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tents

Quote:
Hi Steve
I’ve camped in tents for many years also. When we went to Arizona to pick up the 2010 Escape we stayed in our tent two nights. That was in 2013. Since then I stayed in my my tent one night at a rendezvous where I was undecided about the camping conditions so did not tow the Escape there. There is something nostalgic, romantic and self reliant about staying in tents but I’ve had all of that I need for now and prefer the sound of rain on the roof of the Escape, the no hassle warmth and cooling, and being “up off the ground” that our Escape provides. Hope you have a great week.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #47

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
My trailer has almost every option available at the tie except solar. Since purchase, I have customized it much further than Escape would have ever agreed to.

That's a primary reason that I like the Escape over an Oliver or Airstream - it is easy to modify to the way you want it.
My point was that while options are nice , they come at a price sometimes a high one
Standard stick built trailers are built and sold with option packages similar to the auto industry
Our 21 ft Escape trailer has the majority of the options Escape offers but the final price of our Escape exceeds the price of a larger stick built trailer with twice the options
The price of a new FG trailer is extremely high considering the only thing different is a molded body . I can not give you a logical reason why we bought a FG trailer , it was for some unexplainable/ intangible reason that I can’t explain
The assumption that FG trailers don’t leak is a selling point but what is the cost of that assumption
Making everything an option and then charging me extra for that privilege seems strange
I have often questioned decision / purchases I have made in my life and have suffered from buyers remorse . Probably more an issue with me than the product
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
My point was that while options are nice , they come at a price sometimes a high one
Standard stick built trailers are built and sold with option packages similar to the auto industry
Our 21 ft Escape trailer has the majority of the options Escape offers but the final price of our Escape exceeds the price of a larger stick built trailer with twice the options
The price of a new FG trailer is extremely high considering the only thing different is a molded body . I can not give you a logical reason why we bought a FG trailer , it was for some unexplainable/ intangible reason that I can’t explain
The assumption that FG trailers don’t leak is a selling point but what is the cost of that assumption
Making everything an option and then charging me extra for that privilege seems strange
I have often questioned decision / purchases I have made in my life and have suffered from buyers remorse . Probably more an issue with me than the product
Steve, if you are having buyers remorse about your Escape, there is an easy way to fix this. Sell and buy the stick build you want. The market right now for an Escape is amazing - they sell within a few days of coming on the market.

Make yourself happy!
Old 12-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I very rarely suffer buyers remorse from anything I buy unless it totally fails through no fault of mine. If that happens, and it’s usually something relatively inexpensive, I throw it away and write it off to experience. I’ve found our Escapes to be everything we expected, same with the Toyota’s and our Honda Accord that served us well. Most of the time I buy long standing recognized brands which may carry some extra cost for only the name recognition and it usually works out. These days I’m not buying much at all but do like quality if I can find it and prefer to buy American or Canadian made. Scandinavian, German and Northern European stuff is usually pretty good too.

I used to be criticized to the point of being reprimanded for writing specifications that excluded products that were markedly less expensive especially if my city or others in my profession had experienced early failure. My only responses were “Would you fly to the moon on a low bid aircraft?” Or “I have no problem with a $700 hammer if it’s a good one”. That used to get the purchasing woman going pretty good. Retirement is great, I can save up till I can afford exactly what I want, which is usually better than my skill level, or what I really need.”
Works for me, may not work for all.

Last Friday I drove 60 miles round trip for a load of black dirt. Not because it was cheap, but because it was black as coal, smelled good and I like the lady on the phone setting up the guy on the loader.

Iowa Dave
Old 12-07-2020, 11:53 AM   #50

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Then, of course, is the times your sticky spends idle because they can't get replacement parts for the broke slide-out parts that got stuck in the half-closed position. Or your dealer repair shop is booked solid and says come back in 6 weeks, but really doesn't want to know you.
Or they can't even diagnose it correctly when they do finally look at it! I've shared this before but it is sad that I had to study the schematics, diagnose and fix the massive 25’ full wall slide on my neighbors Winnebago Class A when the shop improperly diagnosed the problem. Only one tech at Winnebago (that you pay to speak to) provided any decent information. He was ready to take it out to the factory. It shouldn’t have to be this hard to get decent work done by a shop! Granted it is much less complicated but our Escape has never been and never will be to an RV repair shop.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Or they can't even diagnose it correctly when they do finally look at it! I've shared this before but it is sad that I had to study the schematics, diagnose and fix the massive 25’ full wall slide on my neighbors Winnebago Class A when the shop improperly diagnosed the problem. Only one tech at Winnebago (that you pay to speak to) provided any decent information. He was ready to take it out to the factory. It shouldn’t have to be this hard to get decent work done by a shop! Granted it is much less complicated but our Escape has never been and never will be to an RV repair shop.
You are so right Dave ! My brothers Winnebago brand new sat for 5 mo I will fix myself what I can ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote