Split cushions? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2022, 08:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 E19
Split cushions?

We are working on the build sheet for our 19 and are looking for input regarding the split cushions and backrest option for the U-shaped dinette. It seems that the split cushions would be easier to manage when accessing the storage underneath, but it is $400+ for the split cushion and backrest option. Worth it or no?
Corgbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape
Split cushions are great, and easy to do if you have a little sewing experience or have a friend who does. I spit both long backrest cushions and one of the long seat cushions as part of a dinette/bed modification. The split cushions still fit snugly in place. I have not noticed any disadvantage.

You remove the foam and cut the foam and the fabric to length. Then you sew a new end piece on each cushion and a zipper on one of the cushions. Put the foam back in and that’s it. Because the new ends are pressed together in use the material doesn’t show. I used some left over boat cover material, although you could probably get some original from ETI.

I had no upholstery experience, just some boat canvas and sail projects. The final project is worth $400 in benefit, but only cost about $25 in materials and the pleasure of doing it yourself.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Escape will also sell you matching material by the yard if you want to do your own sewing.

I bought some as I made my own U shape dinette which did not require any sewing.

I also did a few other projects covered in matching material.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I chose not to in our 5.0 with the U dinette. With the (2) batteries, Lagun table brace, EMS box, and converter, I just consider this space the utility/mechanical closet and only have my tool bag and a ground tarp in there. If I needed to get into that area to check batteries, troubleshoot, etc, I wouldn’t want to have to move a bunch of stuff around. I don’t find it too hard to move the cushions when needed. I did split the plywood bench though. It makes a handy spot to sit or put tools, etc. when working in that area.
Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
On our 5.0, we have found the split cushions and split plywood lid very convenient. To check the battery water level its very easy to move the seat cushion to the opposite side and open up the lid to access the batteries. The same for a tool bag we keep in the converter side. Is it worth the price, or better to do it yourself? That's up to you. But in either case, we find it very convenient.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Really up to you as others have said. We didn’t get slit cushions (didn’t see that it was an option) and now I wish we had them. That being said, $400 seems a bit steep…but I think I would still do it if I was configuring a new trailer. Good luck.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2023 E19
It seems that the split cushions are a popular option/mod.
Thanks for the responses.
Corgbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:46 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm sorry I did not have mine done at the factory, now I'll have to go local to make that change...
Old 11-19-2022, 07:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
All it takes is one or two troubleshooting efforts involving the electrical (in our 21C) and the value of the split cushions becomes up front real quick.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote