Spray Foam or No spray Foam - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Jon,
Did you put straps across the foam panels like Ron’s or just go with the adhesive?
No straps. I tried pulling a small piece off when I started the project and the foam broke, not the adhesive. The Locktight PI Premium Fast grab is a bit of a PIA to use - very thick & difficult to squeeze out of the caulking gun. It is possible that they were old tubes- it is not a popular adhesive.

Back in my theatre days we worked with a Styrofoam adhesive called Styrobond, which was excellent. It is no longer available in tubes, & I suspect the stuff currently sold under the same name is not the same stuff.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I didn't know you could access and remove the black and grey tank sensors to clean them. Was wondering why my tank light capacity lights still showed 5 dots after I emptied them. Will have to get out there and find those sensors -are they underneath the trailer? Is there a risk I might break them? (It's currently 12 degrees F. outside)
Myron,
It is easy to clean the black probes by going down through the toilet flush mechanism with a strong spray/stream. However, based upon the age of your trailer, I suspect you have a KIB monitor. I know several people, including myself, who have had the circuit board fail. Mine showed the gray water as full after I tried several ways to clean the tank. Easy to replace the circuit board if you can find one. I was fortunate because my son designs circuit boards for the defense industry. I sent him the board, he tested it and replaced on chip so I now have a backup should the board fail again. It is much easier to replace the board than to install a different monitor as evidenced by all the splices you see right behind the display after removing the board.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
Can someone provide a link to the board insulation install thread. I can't seam to find it.

Thanks!
See this post. I provided links to when Ron in BC did the board insulation on his 19 and a link to a project my father and I did on his Scamp.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post163891
Old 01-27-2021, 01:44 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
It seems that few folks on here have had the experience of not having the foam insulation and then having it, on the same vehicle. I have had such, so I thought I would weigh in. We picked up our new Escape 15B in May of 2011. (At the time, Escape did not offer a spray foam insulation option.) That year, we did mostly in-state trips. In 2012, among other trips, we drove the trailer to Alaska and back in August and early September. In early October of that year, we took a short trip to Great Basin Nat'l Park. (See https://twohikers.smugmug.com/Wester...oftheMoon2012/ )

The morning that we left, it was in the low 20's, and I kept thinking about the chill factor of 23 degrees with a 60 mph wind, because that was the speed at which we were driving. By the time we arrived at our next destination, it had warmed considerably, so I could not tell if anything like a water line had frozen or not. By early 2013, Escape was now offering the underside foam insulation option, so we called them in mid-Summer, and arranged to take it back to the factory, while we went backpacking in the North Cascades.

We used the E15B in a variety of weather, and were very glad to have the insulation. There is no question that the floor stayed warmer, and the level of worry about water lines freezing, etc, went way down. And when we "upgraded" to an E19 in 2019, there was no question that we would order that option.
But, as the EPA says: "Your mileage may vary."
rajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Hi Roger!
sghughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The foam also serves as insulation from sound. It helps at night in armadillo country when these creatures are digging for insects and bumping into the underside of the trailer. And it also keeps rodents (tree rats and mice) from chewing on wiring. Ask ETI to take a photo of the underside of the trailer before spraying the foam on if you choose this option. It helps to locate things if necessary. I failed to do this but another forum member who purchased a 5.0TA around the same time did, and he provided me with the photos. They come in handy, and I cannot thank him enough.
Is your 5.0TA the tandem axle model, I have the 2019 version. Really like the idea of having the photos of the underside should I have issues. I'm going to call Escape and ask if they could provide some photos and then make them available on this forum...unless someone already has them for the 2019 5.0TA??
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:37 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Is your 5.0TA the tandem axle model, I have the 2019 version.
All 5.0TA have tandem axles - that's what the "TA" means. This model started in 2014, based on the body of the 21'. It replaced the previous 5.0, which was narrower, based on the body of the 17', and had a single axle.

By early 2016 the suspension of the 5.0TA was changed: it had been the only Escape model with leaf springs and beam axles, and was changed to Torflex suspension/axles like all the other models.

During 2016 all surviving Escape models were updated with vertical side walls, including the 5.0TA (which was last to make the change, at the end of the year).

Recently Escape seems to be referring to the fifth-wheel model as just "5.0", rather than "5.0TA", but it is the same trailer sold since the end of 2016 as the "5.0TA".

So in addition to the suspension, options, small running changes in production, and Carl's personalization, his 2015 5.0TA and a 2019 5.0TA (or just "5.0") have different generations of body design. None of that will make a significant difference to the underfloor configuration, but the current version has a step in the floor that the 2015 does not have.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Whoa, Brian

You know your stuff.

So how does a Boler boy know so much about the Escape line?

Just curious.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:31 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Is your 5.0TA the tandem axle model, I have the 2019 version. Really like the idea of having the photos of the underside should I have issues. I'm going to call Escape and ask if they could provide some photos and then make them available on this forum...unless someone already has them for the 2019 5.0TA??
Yes, mine is. Brian explained the designation of TA very well.
If I understand correctly, the new management has dropped the TA in tandem axle 5th wheel trailer’s designation. In reality, the underside of the 2nd generation 5.0TA is not laid out any different from what is now referred to as the “Classic.” But I would agree that photos of all Escape model undersides before foam application should probably be in the Forum’s library.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:53 PM   #30

Trailer: 2020 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajenkins View Post
It seems that few folks on here have had the experience of not having the foam insulation and then having it, on the same vehicle. I have had such, so I thought I would weigh in. We picked up our new Escape 15B in May of 2011. (At the time, Escape did not offer a spray foam insulation option.) That year, we did mostly in-state trips. In 2012, among other trips, we drove the trailer to Alaska and back in August and early September. In early October of that year, we took a short trip to Great Basin Nat'l Park. (See https://twohikers.smugmug.com/Wester...oftheMoon2012/ )

The morning that we left, it was in the low 20's, and I kept thinking about the chill factor of 23 degrees with a 60 mph wind, because that was the speed at which we were driving. By the time we arrived at our next destination, it had warmed considerably, so I could not tell if anything like a water line had frozen or not. By early 2013, Escape was now offering the underside foam insulation option, so we called them in mid-Summer, and arranged to take it back to the factory, while we went backpacking in the North Cascades.

We used the E15B in a variety of weather, and were very glad to have the insulation. There is no question that the floor stayed warmer, and the level of worry about water lines freezing, etc, went way down. And when we "upgraded" to an E19 in 2019, there was no question that we would order that option.
But, as the EPA says: "Your mileage may vary."
It's experiences like this that made me decide not to get the spray foam. When we were deciding between what to get upfront and what to add later, it seems like the foam could be added later quite easily. So we went without and can get it if we really want it.

We've been through some lows in the 20's and worried about stuff freezing. So far so good but we've had to take some steps to avoid cold places. I put a foam pipe insulation on the seven or so inches of exposed hose from the fresh tank. Sure the tanks don't freeze but the floor inside is cold. Slippers are a must on those days. We even added a rug under the dinette table to help out.

One big issue with the cold the foam cannot solve is the condensation that gets on the inside walls when it's cold out and warm inside.
AndNeitherDoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Not a 2019 but there are pictures out there on the forum. These are 2014-2015 vintage.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #32

These are Jim Bennett’s 2017
Attached Thumbnails
6C6E99B4-75FC-4043-BB43-6645BFA75FCB.jpeg   010072ED-3DFA-4AF6-9BFB-05F31F707AA7.jpeg  
Old 01-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #33

Makes total sense Brian regarding the tandem axle configuration - I should have realized that the older single axle model would not have the TA designation. I have asked the folks at Escape to provide photos of the undersides and will share them when I get them.
Thanks for the clarification Brian.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:31 PM   #34

Those are great photos - Already downloaded them all - THANKS
Old 01-28-2021, 08:42 PM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Here is some of my 19' model
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4783.jpg   IMG_4785.jpg   IMG_4786.jpg   IMG_4787.jpg   IMG_4788.jpg  

IMG_4782.jpg  
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:42 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If I understand correctly, the new management has dropped the TA in tandem axle 5th wheel trailer’s designation.
Yes, but they still put the "TA" part of the decal on the trailer. It's the maximum confusion approach.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:00 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Spray foam was not offered for my 2009 19, and for me it was a no-brainer to not have it on my 2017 5.0TA.

I went without it for a number of reasons.
- Sorry, but I really do not like the look.
- I wanted to have free access to the underside to do mods, a couple things I have done is that I have drilled a few holes when doing my cabinetry modifications and mounted my spare tire.
- While it does insulate, the effect it provides is not that critical.
- I would much rather have the 2" rigid foam that when I finally get some free time I plan to install.

I have stayed in the trailer with temps as low as -19°C (-2°American) and though the floor was cold it was no problem keeping the trailer cozy. I have stayed in it many, many nights at around or a bit below freezing, what you have to do up here to go out lots. With mats on the floor and/or wearing footwear the temperature the temperature has not been an issue.

The floor buildup is relatively thick, so in itself stops much of the sound transmission should someone be partying under the trailer. But boy, does the extra 1/2" of foam on the walls help. It is very quiet in our trailer.

2" rigid foam is going to fit perfectly under my spare tire without any adjusting as the cross piece of angle iron has a 2" leg. I also like the look of this much better. It does not cover the tanks, but I really feel that is not a big deal having camped with RVs without floor insulation for 30 years now.

The only downside I see to my method is that I have to do the work for floor insulation, but I love to do work, spending 10 hours most days doing something, mostly working on my renovation, so that is not an issue. Finding the time is an issue, but next year I will be done with this house and maybe not moved into our forever home (a 1973 house, all original) where there will be many, many months of work too.

Just one fools outlook.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:36 AM   #38

Trailer: 2021 5.0
By getting the heat pads can I then avoid winterizing, I live where it gets cold...plan on snow birding to warmer climate during the winter months.
I from time to time will have to head back home to take of things, but will be headed right back out until the thaw.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
By getting the heat pads can I then avoid winterizing, I live where it gets cold...plan on snow birding to warmer climate during the winter months.
I from time to time will have to head back home to take of things, but will be headed right back out until the thaw.
The heating pads won't keep the rest of your trailer water pipes from freezing - toilet, traps, water heater, etc.

So your answer is no.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #40

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I’m working on my options list, I have plenty of time for research but I am at a disadvantage due to this being my first camper.
I read where one persons regret was they would’ve had the heat pad installed at the factory then brought the trailer home, installed heat tape themselves around the pipes and applied the foam insulation lastly.
On the occasion I have to head back home for a week say, would this allow me park in my driveway while I handle things...plug in for a week then head back out away from winter weather-bypassing the winterization process?
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote