Spray Foam or No spray Foam - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #81

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
To me its not worth taking used unless you save some money.
I have to disagree. I wouldn't trade my trailer for a new one - I've made too many improvements on mine that on a new trailer would have to be done again.

Just in added material and manhours, my trailer is now worth more than what I originally paid for it even taking into account depreciation.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:40 AM   #82

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
To me its not worth taking used unless you save some money. After looking for a few years I just ended up ordering new.
Some other things to keep in mind...
-Time may be of the essence and a buyer wants to camp and not wait a year to have one built
-Some people may enjoy creating a build sheet on a new trailer and others may look at it as an overwhelming task
-The trailer may have some great modifications that a buyer can't/doesn't want to do.
-Factor in the delivery or pickup cost if ordering new which can easily be several thousand dollars depending on where you live. A reasonable seller of a used unit will usually eat that expense.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #83

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Methinks the basic rules of commerce will always prevail:
  • supply / demand
  • willing seller / willing buyer / meeting of the minds
Both are subject to change (quickly) in the market at large.

I briefly considered a late-model 5.0 recently for sale in my immediate area rather than waiting for my build. The PO had done more than a few mods which I'm sure they considered useful and valuable (as evidenced in the asking price), but they didn't coincide with my own wants and needs. I decided to 'pass'; I'm sure it represented a good value for the willing buyer that ended up with it.

I'm still holding my Casita as a hedge against unforeseen circumstances / events. Yep, I may miss the window of opportunity to gain a windfall when I finally do feel comfortable letting it go.

It's only money, no regrets, no worries

YMMV
Old 02-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #84
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Something a good friend has told me several times, you can always, ALWAYS make more money. Even if that means you are saving what you have rather than spending. BUT you can never, EVER make more time. Do not delay pleasure.

I'm grateful I'm not waiting for the next big thing or next big improvement. OR just to save some $$ waiting for a great opportunity that may or may not happen. Life is getting shorter every day.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #85

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Something a good friend has told me several times, you can always, ALWAYS make more money. Even if that means you are saving what you have rather than spending. BUT you can never, EVER make more time. Do not delay pleasure.

I'm grateful I'm not waiting for the next big thing or next big improvement. OR just to save some $$ waiting for a great opportunity that may or may not happen. Life is getting shorter every day.
22 years ago in my mid-40's I quit my corporate job, we got a little sticky fifth wheel, and spent several years traveling around the country. Most people thought I was crazy to do that - not financially secure by any means, but I felt as you say above. We spent a couple of summers during that period as campground hosts at Glacier NP and were a lot younger than all the other hosts. Wish I had a nickel for how many times they would tell us how they wished they had done what we were doing years ago when they were younger.

We love to hike and noticed that we didn't see many 70 year olds on top of the mountains....I figured we should do that while we were able to fully enjoy it, and there were lots of ways to make more money later. I don't have as much money now as I would if I had stayed with the corporate grind and socked it away....but I wouldn't trade the memories of all the things we've seen and done for any amount of money.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:25 AM   #86

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Can't resist...
25 years ago - when I was somewhat younger - we quit our corporate jobs, sold everything and moved aboard a seaworthy sailboat. Jumping over a few years, decided that the seagoing life was not for us and started over, made enough $$ to buy a 21' land yacht.

Now that I'm in my 70's will freely admit that I enjoy hiking more than being seasick. Yes, there are still a few of us old folks up at 12,000'! Plus we are now starting our 5th year as camp hosts - keeping all of you rascals under control!
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:56 PM   #87

Trailer: 2014 4wheel / 2019 E19
Just got the 2019 E19! thanks for your advice. accepted my offer Yahoo!
bozbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #88

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozbie View Post
Well, isn't that cool!
Congrats....
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:20 PM   #89

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozbie View Post

Congratulations!! I would check with escape and see if they will transfer the remainder of the warranty.They used to do that and i not sure if they still do.Its Be worth checking. You lucky finding one so close. ENJOY
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #90

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I just sold my Escape 21 for more than I paid for it, but at a very reasonable price . It was evidenced by the quick interest and even an offer of 2000 for than I sold it for, all be it after I agreed to sell to a buyer. I honored my agreement. Though it was fairly lightly optioned, I priced it out new and it was closer to 40,000 than the the 34 I sold it for. I had done a lot of work on it and especially the electrical system was upgraded. I was amazed how quickly it sold. My new trailer is due in June but we will see. 4 seasons though. What a great forum. Great value trailers, the next on I expect will hold it value as well.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:07 AM   #91

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escapes are a quality product and resell very quickly as the wait for a new one gets longer every day.....waiting for my fifth one!!
Old 11-14-2021, 01:16 PM   #92

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Escapes are a quality product and resell very quickly as the wait for a new one gets longer every day.....waiting for my fifth one!!
Waiting for a fifth of something good...hmmmm. Crown Royal is made in Canada, and not much of a wait.
Old 11-14-2021, 03:41 PM   #93

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I fished a tournament a few years ago in southern Iowa. I was lucky enough to win the Walleye Category. I was one of the older participants and the young guys with the big boats and fancy tackle got a kick out of my laid back style, antique American made equipment and willingness to describe where I fished, the rig I was using, etc. After the dinner and the prizes, we retired to the local bar. “ Where‘s that big old guy who won today?” Was the question several guys asked. Followed by “Get him whatever he’s drinking”. Happened to be Crown Royal and Rita was not too impressed when they brought me back to the camper. “Take me drunk I’m home again.”
Iowa Dave
Old 11-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #94

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Great value trailers, the next on I expect will hold it value as well.
Bigfoot’s, in my experience, have always held their value well. Even before the Covid RV craze.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:42 AM   #95

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Can't resist...
25 years ago - when I was somewhat younger - we quit our corporate jobs, sold everything and moved aboard a seaworthy sailboat. Jumping over a few years, decided that the seagoing life was not for us and started over, made enough $$ to buy a 21' land yacht.

Now that I'm in my 70's will freely admit that I enjoy hiking more than being seasick. Yes, there are still a few of us old folks up at 12,000'! Plus we are now starting our 5th year as camp hosts - keeping all of you rascals under control!
--
Alan
Where are you camp hosts ?
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:54 AM   #96

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Low Point Drain Valve Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
(Unfortunately newer trailers don’t have the low point drain like ours. We can open all faucets and throw the valve and drain the system. I believe Reace stopped when Thetford changed the design of the toilet flush valve and they retained water and some owners had them crack.)
Hi Rubicon,

I have a 2014 that doesn't have a low point drain. I'd like to add one. It might be a challenge as I have the spray foam insulation- which I like.

Can you please tell me where they installed yours ?
And is it a plastic drain cock ?

Many thanks
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #97

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Hi Rubicon,

I have a 2014 that doesn't have a low point drain. I'd like to add one. It might be a challenge as I have the spray foam insulation- which I like.

Can you please tell me where they installed yours ?
And is it a plastic drain cock ?

Many thanks
I have a 2019 21 and I don't think it has a low point drain. If so, the foam has covered it.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:55 AM   #98
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think 2013 was the end of the low point drains. My 2014 doesn't have them either. Too many people relied on the drains to drain the entire system and they don't. Toilet supply valve and outdoor showers froze up. Perhaps Reace got tired of hearing people complain...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:08 AM   #99

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
I think 2013 was the end of the low point drains. My 2014 doesn't have them either. Too many people relied on the drains to drain the entire system and they don't. Toilet supply valve and outdoor showers froze up. Perhaps Reace got tired of hearing people complain...
My take on low point drains is that they introduce another point of failure. The time it took to replace a toilet valve (I've replaced two in sticky's) is much, much greater than the time it takes to blow/antifreeze/blow and I walk away with confidence the trailer won't freeze. Just remember your shower and sink drains need antifreeze!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-15-2021, 01:35 PM   #100

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Just remember your shower and sink drains need antifreeze!
Mine don't. Hepvo valves don't trap any water and don't require anitfreeze.