Spray on Wax ONLY - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2023, 03:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Spray on Wax ONLY

Hi all,
Those that are solely using the spay on and wipe off wax, how is it holding up to the weather maintenance (gelcoat protection) and ease of cleaning your trailer?

I’m ONLY looking to hear about members using the SPRAY ON AND WIPE OFF WAX. I know it’s not as good (I think?) as hand buffing etc…

What brand works best for you and why? I want to buy something good. Thanks group!
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 06:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
I'd like to know, too. Never been a fan of waxing vehicles.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
I don't use wax I use 303 marine/aerospace protectant. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XBCURW...m?ie=UTF8&th=1

I put it on twice a year, and keep the trailer covered during the winter but it is uncovered and out in the sun the rest of the time.

Still shinny and smooth, 4+ years later, no signs of deterioration of the gel coat.

I just soak a towel with it to wipe it on and another towel to wipe it down. It takes longer to clean and get the trailer ready than it does to apply. One 32oz bottle is enough to do it twice.

I have been doing this since the trailer was new, if you have waxed your trailer before you would probably want to use a wax stripper cleaner before switching over.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:00 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Not spray wax, but I've got a jug of Gel-Gloss RV Wash & Wax, which I think I'll use to get the bugs and dirt off for now. Got it when someone recommended it for cool-weather cleaning. No buffing required. No idea whether it does much waxing—anyone know?
Old 05-15-2023, 10:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
We just 303 also. It’s a quick wipe on. I use it on all outdoor plastics, rubber, or fiberglass.
Old 05-15-2023, 01:12 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape
Nu Finish is a "wipe on wipe off", not a spray. But the ease of application is about the same. No buffing. There are always faint black streaks left after washing but NuFinish takes care of those.

I'm always skeptical about products that are this easy to use. I've done half the camper with Maguires (various versions) and half with NuFinish. If there is a difference i can't tell. Maybe 20 years from now...

Edit: I see there is a spray version.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 02:37 PM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Tried spraying on wax, but didn’t like dealing with overspray.

I apply Zep High Traffic or Zep Wet look wax by spraying the wax on a microfiber towel and simply spreading it on the camper. Takes longer to move the ladder than to apply Zep. I could apply Zep to our Escape 5.0 in about 20 minutes. Then you’re done, with NO buffing or hand rubbing. Eazy Peazy!

This will be the third camper with Zep. I’ve chosen August or September for the 1st application on our NTU Bigfoot. Like all wax, I’ll complete a meticulous washing before applying.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 04:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
I apply Zep High Traffic or Zep Wet look wax by spraying the wax on a microfiber towel and simply spreading it on the camper.
Do you use the high traffic on the roof and wet look on the sides? Or is it just whichever one you have at the time?

I was thinking of going this route, I have used commercial floor wax for lots of stuff besides floors over the years. I used it on the counter tops in the public library where I was the facilities manager. They weren't Formica they were a resilient surface that got scuffed up real easy the floor wax made them look better than new. I used something called Butchers Ironstone because that's what I already had for doing polished concrete floors.

I know some people think it will yellow over time but from my experience from floors the yellowing of floor wax is just to many coats of wax and not cleaning really well before you wax trapping dirt in each successive layer. If you strip at least ever third time and clean really well there is no yellowing.

How often do you have to redo it and do you ever apply additional coats later on or do you strip every time when its time to redo it?

I know you have talked about this before, so if you'd rater direct me to this info where you have explained all this that would great,
Thanks, Dan
Old 05-15-2023, 06:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
...I’m ONLY looking to hear about members using the SPRAY ON AND WIPE OFF WAX. I know it’s not as good (I think?) as hand buffing etc…
Forum members are never good at compliance with requests to limit replies to the question at hand.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Forum members are never good at compliance with requests to limit replies to the question at hand.
No we are not. The 303 we use isn’t even really a wax.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:39 PM   #11

You guys are too funny…haha….as long as it’s spray on anything I guess is what I wanted to hear…wax, protectant, etc…..

No buffing, rubbing, scrubbing….
Old 05-15-2023, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
Do you use the high traffic on the roof and wet look on the sides? Or is it just whichever one you have at the time?

I was thinking of going this route, I have used commercial floor wax for lots of stuff besides floors over the years. I used it on the counter tops in the public library where I was the facilities manager. They weren't Formica they were a resilient surface that got scuffed up real easy the floor wax made them look better than new. I used something called Butchers Ironstone because that's what I already had for doing polished concrete floors.

I know some people think it will yellow over time but from my experience from floors the yellowing of floor wax is just to many coats of wax and not cleaning really well before you wax trapping dirt in each successive layer. If you strip at least ever third time and clean really well there is no yellowing.

How often do you have to redo it and do you ever apply additional coats later on or do you strip every time when its time to redo it?

I know you have talked about this before, so if you'd rater direct me to this info where you have explained all this that would great,
Thanks, Dan
Definitely High Traffic for the roof and front. This time I’m going with Wet Look on the sides and rear. Wet Look seems to be a thinner layer. At our condo they put Wet Look on one floor and didn’t get it on evenly, so it’s blotchy. I bought the condo two gallons of High Traffic today so they can apply it in that blotchy area, but that’s a completely different application.

My plans this year are to only apply one coat of High Traffic on the roof and front, and one coat of Wet Look on the sides/rear. Every year I obsessively clean the entire camper anyway and I’ll add another coat next year. In the past I’ve applied 2-3 coats the first time.

There are many reasons for a yellow camper, but the biggest is, was it properly cleaned before applying the wax. Our campers sit outside 24/7/365, so I’m not expecting the whiteness to stay like on a camper that only sits in the sun and weather when on a trip, but inside the rest of the time. We use our campers more than probably 90% of those here.

If/when I decide to strip depends on how the camper looks and how much I feel like stripping. I stripped our massively caulky 2003 Bigfoot and it was easy. On a cool, cloudy day I applied the stripper with microfiber cloths, about 8 feet at a time and then rinse the camper immediately. I was told not to let the stripper sit too long. The water at our campground is relatively soft. I then applied three layers of Zep Floor Wax (product name was changed?) and three years later the camper still looked like new. I didn’t strip our Escape 5.0 before applying and it looked like new afterward.

My experience is that Zep lasts much, much longer than any paste wax and probably 1/3rd or less time is spent applying than any paste wax I’ve ever used. Another plus is no buffing needed!

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 09:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
I don't use wax I use 303 marine/aerospace protectant. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XBCURW...m?ie=UTF8&th=1

I put it on twice a year, and keep the trailer covered during the winter but it is uncovered and out in the sun the rest of the time.

Still shinny and smooth, 4+ years later, no signs of deterioration of the gel coat.

I just soak a towel with it to wipe it on and another towel to wipe it down. It takes longer to clean and get the trailer ready than it does to apply. One 32oz bottle is enough to do it twice.

I have been doing this since the trailer was new, if you have waxed your trailer before you would probably want to use a wax stripper cleaner before switching over.
Really? This is the description.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0433.jpg  
Old 05-20-2023, 05:26 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
Hi all,
Those that are solely using the spay on and wipe off wax, how is it holding up to the weather maintenance (gelcoat protection) and ease of cleaning your trailer?

I’m ONLY looking to hear about members using the SPRAY ON AND WIPE OFF WAX. I know it’s not as good (I think?) as hand buffing etc…

What brand works best for you and why? I want to buy something good. Thanks group!
We've had very good luck with Meguiar's Spray on ceramic wax. Wash, rinse, spray on, rinse again and wipe dry. Easy peasy.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:32 PM   #15

Wash wax

Thanks for all the responses everyone! Has anyone ever tried Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax? It is a waterless spray on and wipe off cleaner/wax with UV protection. I actually just ordered a bottle off Amazon and will try it when it comes in, I’ll post my thoughts when I go to use it….

Link: https://washwax.com/pages/rv-bugs-wash-wax-all
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5451.jpg  
Old 05-20-2023, 08:03 PM   #16

The problem with most of the ceramic waxes that are under $50 is they advertise lasting only 6 months. I've also looked at a number of YouTube videos that say the same thing. They're also hard to remove if you want to start over or move to another product.

Unless I find something that lasts longer I'll be sticking with Zep. From watching the videos it's much easier to apply and lasts longer.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-21-2023, 07:41 AM   #17

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
So "303" is a "Marine Aerospace" protectant? Seems like a fairly narrow use case: either flying boats or floating rockets.
(Couldn't resist making fun of the "aerospace" marketing - Add "aerospace" to any product description, and triple the price)
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 02:44 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
The problem with most of the ceramic waxes that are under $50 is they advertise lasting only 6 months. I've also looked at a number of YouTube videos that say the same thing. They're also hard to remove if you want to start over or move to another product.

Unless I find something that lasts longer I'll be sticking with Zep. From watching the videos it's much easier to apply and lasts longer.

Enjoy,

Perry
Good point Perry. At the elevation we live and store the 5.0(uncovered) at (7000ft +/-) and the UV index usually anywhere from 7 to 10+, there ain't nothing out there that is going to last more than 6 months anyway, so may as well give the 5.0 a shot of Meguiar's every time it gets a wash.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:26 AM   #19

Trailer: 2022 T@B400
Ma guides spray wax. Easy on, easy off. Repeat every three or 4 months. We use it on the trailer and it’s Tesla tow vehicle. Looks good.
Downsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:09 AM   #20

After reading that Poli Glow doesn't recommend using their product on new unoxidized fiberglass gel coat I'm going to hold off on the zep and try this instead. Poli Glow Poli Slick Seal 32 ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BS77LDT3...t_details&th=1
I know zep or poli glow wouldn't hurt anything I just don't think it needs it at this time.

I ordered the 32oz bottle which should be good for two treatments, I'll report back on the results as soon as I get it done.