Springfield pedestal question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2022, 11:42 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Springfield pedestal question

Those of you who have the Springfield pedestal installed, I have a couple of questions. Does the table top slide and rotate? Is that because ETI or you installed something between the pedestal and the table top?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The table top can still do anything that it would do with the double factory tubes. ETI supplied my table uninstalled and I added a Springfield. The table comes with the factory slides for side-to-side movement and you can rotate the table top a bit.

Others have added, I believe, the Dicor 4 way slide allowing for both side-to-side and front to back movement.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 17B
The table top retains the usual Escape side to side sliding mechanism. You also get the ability to rotate the table top when the clamp(s) on the pedestal are not tightened. The only thing that is less than ideal I would say, is that the table can't easily be removed, say if you needed prolonged access to service equipment in a bench seat or spend a long time working in an overhead compartment...

Edit:
Ron, you have me beat with your typing skills
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Those of you who have the Springfield pedestal installed, I have a couple of questions. Does the table top slide and rotate? Is that because ETI or you installed something between the pedestal and the table top?

Thanks.
Yes, the table top slides and rotates. It slides because Escape installs a side to side slide as standard equipment. It rotates because when the top lever on the Springfield mount is in the open position the piston will rotate. The bottom piston is fixed, but, the top one allows rotation when unlocked.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 02:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
T
Edit:
Ron, you have me beat with your typing skills
Yah, being a fast typist has really paid off over the years. And to think that the only reason that I took typing was that it was a class of 3 guys and 27 girls.

The ability of the top to rotate depends on how it's installed. If the table top is close to the wall then the ability to rotate is reduced. I installed mine so I could get a partial rotation for easier locker access.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 02:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It was typing or Latin. I took typing.
Old 04-16-2022, 03:06 PM   #7

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The ability of the top to rotate depends on how it's installed. If the table top is close to the wall then the ability to rotate is reduced. I installed mine so I could get a partial rotation for easier locker access.
If you slide the top to one side then rotate, it needs almost no clearance from the wall. As the corner neaest the center doesn't really move towards the wall, and the corner furthest from the center moves away from the wall
Old 03-17-2023, 01:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
We're getting the Springfield mount and I want to replace the stock table with something smaller. Can you attach a wooden tabletop directly to the Springfield without using the slider?
If I want to use the slider, what is the minimum table size I'd need for it? (Slider dimensions?)
Thanks!
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
We're getting the Springfield mount and I want to replace the stock table with something smaller. Can you attach a wooden tabletop directly to the Springfield without using the slider?
Yes, the top plate of the Springfield Pedestal that screws into the tabletop is just slightly over 1' X 1'(~12.5" X ~12.5").

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
If I want to use the slider, what is the minimum table size I'd need for it? (Slider dimensions?)
Thanks!
Minimum size with the existing slide tracks would be about 26" X 30".
Old 03-17-2023, 01:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Perfect, thanks!
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:08 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
a smaller tabletop won't work to convert the dinette to a 2nd bed... I've used ours (E21 classic) several times for guests...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
a smaller tabletop won't work to convert the dinette to a 2nd bed... I've used ours (E21 classic) several times for guests...
I had a cabinet shop cut down a piece of baltic birch to be 24" deep X 34" wide. To do this right as the table- at least in a Gen 1 trailer is not square on the sides- I brought in my original table to use as a template. Has worked great since 2016 for a bed/lounge as well as dinette table.

The one trick left is using the same edge rubber/vinyl edge band as is on the rest of the counter tops. So that needs to be factored in when sizing the width.

The two 12" filler board cushions work perfect in that space on the table and fit in front of the back bench bottom cushion on the U-dinette.

Here is an old thread on this subject:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ble-11865.html
Old 03-19-2023, 10:16 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If you build a new table top and intend to install the vinyl edge on it, you will see by looking at what you have now that the vinyl is a modified “T” shape with the very short center edge pressed into a slot in the edge of the woodenly table top. You may also note that the vinyl is not completely symmetrical with one “half” being slightly wider than the other. So if you have a router with a slot cutter bit to put the groove in the table edge, you will need to orient your cut and vinyl so that when it’s pressed in, the edge of the vinyl does not extend above the table top. If you don’t get it just right and it ends up being too tall, (proud) you can carefully shave it down to the level of the Formica top, if that’s what you are using, with a single edge razor blade.
Easy does it.
Iowa Dave