Springfield pedestal vs lagun - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2020, 09:19 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Are there any off the shelf products that do what the Dicor 4 Way slide did?

I think if I was going to build one, I would just go with the Lagun setup. But it looks like it would solve the shortcomings of the Springfield design (IMHO), namely I can't get the table out of my way.

I still like the table but it is a little unstable even when tightened down. Maybe I should give this some thought. It would be nice to keep it from moving.
I looked and found nothing. The 4-way slide with the Springfield is a fantastic setup for us. The table can be easily raised, lowered, turned and slid all over the dinette.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I have put some painters' tape on the edge of the table at the places where the latches are on the Dicor...anyone have an easier way to locate them? I think I will eventually know where they are, but for now, the tape works.
I found that after just a few uses you remember where they are. Never really had any issues myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:02 AM   #42

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
For us, sturdiness is tantamount to everything else. That is why I removed the double pedestals in the first place. Since it’s installation, I have never lowered the table, only rotated it or slid it one way or the other. My spouse is a quilter and a crafter and whenever we go on a trip, her travel sewing machine comes along. Having the most stable surface possible is best for her. And when it rains and I have to eat inside, a jiggly, rocking table drives me nuts. The Lagun has its own good features, but the choice really depends on which features are most important for the user. Anyone trying to decide should think about the pros and cons mentioned in this thread and consider which ones best fit their perceived needs.
I think you are saying that the Lagun is less sturdy than the Springfield. I do not have experience with the Springfield but I do not understand why you say this. Any "wiggle" we may have is not due to the Lagun or the Lagun's mounting, but due to the table mounting onto the Lagun platform. Maybe the platform the table attaches to on the Springfield is larger than the Lagun. I added an aluminum plate to the underside of my table to create a larger platform and our table is very sturdy, we haven't any "wiggle".
Attached Thumbnails
5Lagun1 with Aluminum Plate.jpg  
Old 08-31-2020, 12:06 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
Ron would you mind telling what size and thickness aluminum you used under the table top before installing the lagun table bracket. Thanks.
I installed Lagun bracket directly to table using just screws, making sure they didn’t penetrate table. After a few outings I did notice bracket wasn’t tight. Removed plate , added construction adhesive, replaced bracket and it ain’t budged in 3 years now.😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:52 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I think you are saying that the Lagun is less sturdy than the Springfield. I do not have experience with the Springfield but I do not understand why you say this. Any "wiggle" we may have is not due to the Lagun or the Lagun's mounting, but due to the table mounting onto the Lagun platform. Maybe the platform the table attaches to on the Springfield is larger than the Lagun. I added an aluminum plate to the underside of my table to create a larger platform and our table is very sturdy, we haven't any "wiggle".
I say it because the two Lagun installations I have seen were not solid and wiggle free, and other people, even in this thread, have opined that very same sentiment. Obviously, I have not seen yours, but I do hope you now understand why I said what I said. And I in no way criticized the Lagun. I stated that both the Lagun and the Springfield have their good points and someone trying to decide between the two should consider which good points are more important to them. If you have solved the wobble situation, then I would guess it comes down to unobstructed leg room vs. ease of conversion to bed.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:12 PM   #45

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
How bad is the wobble?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I say it because the two Lagun installations I have seen were not solid and wiggle free, and other people, even in this thread, have opined that very same sentiment. Obviously, I have not seen yours, but I do hope you now understand why I said what I said. And I in no way criticized the Lagun. I stated that both the Lagun and the Springfield have their good points and someone trying to decide between the two should consider which good points are more important to them. If you have solved the wobble situation, then I would guess it comes down to unobstructed leg room vs. ease of conversion to bed.
"but I do not understand why you say this" I should have stated this differently as in "but ours seems to be wiggle free".

From our experience if we would be making the bed on a regular basis the Springfield would be desirable, for our use I'd prefer the Lagun, no post, very maneuverable, and except for the bracket on the back bench completely removable.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #47

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Do you remember the thickness of the diamond plate you used? Our local big box carries it in .025", .035" and .073".

We just installed a lagun in our 5.0 TA and we think we will keep the original table top, but need more support.
Thanks!
Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Do you remember the thickness of the diamond plate you used? Our local big box carries it in .025", .035" and .073".

We just installed a lagun in our 5.0 TA and we think we will keep the original table top, but need more support.
Thanks!
I don't know the thickness, it's not flimsy and it would take some effort to bend it. I think I got it at home depot, I looked on Home Depot website but that didn't help me. Sorry, I can't be of more help.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #49
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
If you want more leg room, then I would suggest a Lagun. If you have a cat, get a Springfield and put a cat scratcher on the pedestal to keep it happy. If you have a dog, get a Lagun and give it more space to sleep and hug your feet.
Bea, your comment (above) and others convinced me to get the Lagun, along with thoughts on the install. We have an 80lb Shep-Husk that tends to sleep on our bed (home & trailer), but will occasionally sleep on the floor. The original dual post table provided by ETI took up too much room, so we went with the Lagun. Haven't installed it yet (amazingly, an eBay order & received in 5 calendar days from England) but plan to once I have a better idea as to the best way to anchoring it, both for vertical and horizontal loads.

We have a U-shaped dinette, standard table shape/size for our 21NE, and I'll be installing on the vertical bottom of the U.

Recommendations for an L shaped support bracket to reinforce inside the seat box would be appreciated.
Photos would be much appreciated as well...I'm a visual builder
Ops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:55 PM   #50
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Our Lagun Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
Bea, your comment (above) and others convinced me to get the Lagun, along with thoughts on the install. We have an 80lb Shep-Husk that tends to sleep on our bed (home & trailer), but will occasionally sleep on the floor. The original dual post table provided by ETI took up too much room, so we went with the Lagun. Haven't installed it yet (amazingly, an eBay order & received in 5 calendar days from England) but plan to once I have a better idea as to the best way to anchoring it, both for vertical and horizontal loads.

We have a U-shaped dinette, standard table shape/size for our 21NE, and I'll be installing on the vertical bottom of the U.

Recommendations for an L shaped support bracket to reinforce inside the seat box would be appreciated.
Photos would be much appreciated as well...I'm a visual builder
Hello Ops,

Congrats on your new 21NE. I think you and your Shep-Husk will have lots of great times camping!

Below are some pictures of my Lagun table install. As you can see, I used 3/4" angle iron along the rear side of the dinette for most of the distance across the back. I got the idea from the most excellent Bill from Idaho Falls on this thread - https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...hts-12137.html

I used a thick piece of plywood and cut it to fit in the vertical, back part of the bench (the thickness matched the size of the vertical and horizontal supports of the dinette). I then used a thin piece of plywood to go over this and the vertical & horizontal supports of the bench. I drilled holes through this "sandwich" of wood to install the lagun. On the floor, you can see a piece of an old countertop I used. I used lots of decking screws to attach this to the floorboard of the trailer. I then used three fairly large shelving brackets to connect the horizontal and vertical pieces of plywood (basic brackets from Home Depot - something like https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...5254/202034279 - but I am not sure which size I used. I had several sizes in the garage and used the biggest ones that could fit. I also drilled some extra holes in the brackets for attaching them to the wood.). Together with the angle iron, it provided a strong, stiff place to mount the Lagun.

For our trailer, I installed the inverter after I installed the Lagun. Thus it is hard to see the vertical piece of wood I used for the lagun. To provide a little extra air around the inverter for cooling, I attached the inverter on two wooden posts attached to the vertical plywood.

I think the real secret of making a good Lagun install was using a long piece of angle iron. My thanks again to Bill from Idaho Falls for his insight on sharing this.

Happy Trails! - Bea
Attached Thumbnails
Lagun Install 1.jpg   Lagun Install 2.jpg   Lagun Install 3.jpg   Lagun Install 4.jpg  
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:36 PM   #51
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Thanks Bea for the pics.
I can clearly get what you were aiming for with the pics, which gives me an idea of what I need to do with my set up. Unlike your rig, our inverter is on the leg closest to the door...which reduces the clutter at the bottom of the "U".
I'm one of those individuals that over builds, so between your pics and those from "excellent Bill", I now have a real firm idea as to how I'm going to mount our Lagooooon (I love the name for this piece of kit).
I will take pics for those that may need some 'visual' assistance in their installation once I get mine underway.
Rain tomorrow and for a couple of days...hopefully this weekend.
Ops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:32 AM   #52

Trailer: 2020 21ne
Our 21ne is scheduled for December delivery. We had ETI build a separate table top slightly smaller for the Lagun install. I got an e-mail from Lagun today replying to my question about the installation of two brackets one above the other to decrease the instability and further strengthen the support. They said it would work if needed and room was available. My question is has anyone done this and if so could I get pictures? How long of vertical arm did they use? Did it make any difference in stability, if they can tell? Thanks to all for the thread. It helps greatly and especially everyone that gave me inspiration to get an Escape in the first place.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
Our 21ne is scheduled for December delivery. We had ETI build a separate table top slightly smaller for the Lagun install. I got an e-mail from Lagun today replying to my question about the installation of two brackets one above the other to decrease the instability and further strengthen the support. They said it would work if needed and room was available. My question is has anyone done this and if so could I get pictures? How long of vertical arm did they use? Did it make any difference in stability, if they can tell? Thanks to all for the thread. It helps greatly and especially everyone that gave me inspiration to get an Escape in the first place.
I don't get any movement within the vertical support bracket (as long as I tighten the clamp). All the movement (and there isn't much) is at the plastic swivel mount at the top of the vertical post. I do have a folding teak table that is about 3 times the weight of the original Escape table.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0835.jpg   IMG_0832.jpg  
Old 09-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #54

Trailer: 2020 21ne
Thanks Vermilye, Is your vertical post the long or the standard? Looks long and the table is really nice.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:34 PM   #55

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
We installed the Lagun as our first Mod after having the factory not install the stock bases. Welove it. The swivel, and up and down adjustment features make the table versatile. When you make the bed down the parts stow very neatly on the bottom of the table. Not sure about mounting it on the side benches of a non U Shape dinette. Here is how we mounted it;
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post294767
Joel-n-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #56

Trailer: 2020 21C
Springfield table

We are wondering if someone can tell us how many inches it is from the wall to the front edge of the pedestal in a factory installed Springfield table in a 21C Escape.
randynjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:37 PM   #57

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I asked for my springfield to be placed so that the front of the table was even with the floor riser. You can at least ask if you want it in a certain location, keeping in mind that the table will be able to slide and twist.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #58

Trailer: 2015 E19
I would love to install a Lagun table as I don't like the double posts under my table. I have a 19' and everyone who has installed seems to have a dinette. Is there any that have installed on a 19' without a dinette?
azutco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by azutco View Post
I would love to install a Lagun table as I don't like the double posts under my table. I have a 19' and everyone who has installed seems to have a dinette. Is there any that have installed on a 19' without a dinette?
Check out this post by Posttoasties
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post353685
AND this one
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post316272
Old 11-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 E19
Thank you so much, I missed that somehow in my search
azutco is offline   Reply With Quote