Springfield pedestal vs lagun - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2020, 07:33 PM   #1

Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
Springfield pedestal vs lagun

Hello all
I see Escape is now offering the lagun swivel table for 2021 pricing
We ate ordering a 21c but NOT getting the u shaped dinette
Please advise which would be better Springfield or lagun support
My hubby is tall but we really dont need to put it down as a bed... just looking for more leg room
Thank you in advance
ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
This is one of many topics that there's many views on. Those that love the Lagun will probably slightly outnumber the Springfield lovers but that's the nature of this forum.

Personally, we don't like the U dinette and have the full size table. Getting rid of the factory twin tubes was the first priority for increased foot room and more stability. We might never put the table down to use the area as a bed but that's not important. Nice to have the option.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
This is one of many topics that there's many views on. Those that love the Lagun will probably slightly outnumber the Springfield lovers but that's the nature of this forum.

Personally, we don't like the U dinette and have the full size table. Getting rid of the factory twin tubes was the first priority for increased foot room and more stability. We might never put the table down to use the area as a bed but that's not important. Nice to have the option.

Ron
Please remind us, Ron ... what did you go with? ('enquiring minds want to know' )

If the Lagun in your non-U-shaped dinette, do you have a thread showing how you mounted it?
Old 08-17-2020, 11:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Lagun, what Lagun?

I've had Springfield type pedestals previously on boats and I like the option of the full size table that can be up or down almost instantly.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0002_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Lagun, what Lagun?
thanks, Ron!
Old 08-18-2020, 01:17 AM   #6
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineMcD View Post
Hello all
I see Escape is now offering the lagun swivel table for 2021 pricing
We ate ordering a 21c but NOT getting the u shaped dinette
Please advise which would be better Springfield or lagun support
My hubby is tall but we really dont need to put it down as a bed... just looking for more leg room
Thank you in advance
Wow! Finally! Now they are offering both Springfield and Lagun! Here's my 2 cents. If you are planning on raising and lowering the table a lot (for a bed) or want to do it instantly then I would suggest a Springfield. If you want more leg room, then I would suggest a Lagun. If you have a cat, get a Springfield and put a cat scratcher on the pedestal to keep it happy. If you have a dog, get a Lagun and give it more space to sleep and hug your feet.

As for us, we have a Lagun and love it. It only takes just a couple minutes to crank the nobs so that the table and brackets come off to make into a bed. Easy peasy. I'm just curious to see how they will install a Lagun since you're not getting a U shape dinette. Most of us have secured the Lagun with a beefy bracket under the back bench of the U Shape dinette for that lateral support....but maybe they have figured out a different way to secure it to the wall instead. If you get this option keep us posted!

One more thing comes to mind since you are trying to decide between the two. I vaguely remember reading that someone here commented on the Springfield having some sort of pressurized gas chambers that didn't work so well in the really cold temperatures?? Perhaps it's a PV = NRT thing? Perhaps Springfield owners can pipe in with their experiences... maybe this isn't an issue?

Bottom line...people love both and prefer them over the stock 2 posts. As for us, we would hands down get a Lagun again! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have the Springfield pedestal and sliding table.
Not impressed with either one !
Know nothing about the Lagun
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have the Springfield and 4-way slider, and we love both. I installed the pedestal as rearward as possible, and the table can be turned and/or pushed to any corner out of the way. It takes less than a minute to make it into a bed or a table, something we do a fair bit with grandkids, kids, or friends staying in the trailer. Though something we do not do regularly, if you wish to lounge inside, watch TV or read outside of the bed, making it into a flat lounging space is easy and a nice place to lounge with the use of a large puffy pillow.

Having not tried the Lagun, and only seeing it installed in a couple trailers, I can't really comment on it, other than in one setup with a large table it was a fair bit more shaky than the Springfield. I am sure how it is installed would make a huge difference, and I have seen some great installs done here.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I switched from the Springfield to the Lagun mount. I tend to tinker around with stuff under the rear seats, and the table always got in the way with the Springfield mount. The ability to completely remove the table & support is what caused me to switch.

Even with heavy bracing, the Lagun is not quite as stable as the Springfield (although when I switched I went with a much heavier teak table) but is is solid enough to be comfortable.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Wow! Finally! Now they are offering both Springfield and Lagun! Here's my 2 cents. If you are planning on raising and lowering the table a lot (for a bed) or want to do it instantly then I would suggest a Springfield. If you want more leg room, then I would suggest a Lagun.

As for us, we have a Lagun and love it. It only takes just a couple minutes to crank the nobs so that the table and brackets come off to make into a bed. Easy peasy.

Bottom line...people love both and prefer them over the stock 2 posts. As for us, we would hands down get a Lagun again! -Bea
Ditto, we love our Lagun, it is probably our favorite mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I switched from the Springfield to the Lagun mount. I tend to tinker around with stuff under the rear seats, and the table always got in the way with the Springfield mount. The ability to completely remove the table & support is what caused me to switch.

I agree, access to under the dinette benches is just one of the many benefits. We also remove the table when watching TV, I added t 7" removable extension to the bottom of the rear seat, much more comfortable and it doesn't lessen the floor space like a wider rear bench seat would.

Even with heavy bracing, the Lagun is not quite as stable as the Springfield (although when I switched I went with a much heavier teak table) but is is solid enough to be comfortable.
Our table is very sturdy, no movement from the bracing and I added an aluminum plate to the bottom of the stock table as that was the weak point for stability.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 none
I’m in learning mode on Escape Trailers with an interest in the 19 or 21. On our previous fifth wheel we had a Dream Dinette.... https://www.google.com/search?q=drea...&client=safari. It worked well and left us with a free area for feet and legs, also was a spot the dogs enjoyed being out of the way with. Curious if anyone has adapted one to their Escape. It would take some reinforcing of the wall prior to finishing.
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
We have the Springfield in the 5.0 along with the wrap around dinette. Getting in and out of the dinette can be difficult. I hate the fact I cannot lock down the table. It always slides a little. I don't mind the smaller table.

There is no way to play a guitar, that you care about, with the Springfield table in the dinette area. I am relegated to the stairs.

But even when using my computer or surfing the news, it's cramped in the dinette. I still like it, but I want the Lagun table. I may switch but not any time soon.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 - 19
We swapped out the twin standard poles for a Springfield about a month ago. We travel as a family and the front dinette coverts to a bed nightly. We also travel with the table down. The Springfield works so much better for us! The plastic sliders that come with the table will be the next thing I swap out. I can see the appeal of the Lagun but for us the Springfield wins for the easy of turning the dinette into a bed
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:19 PM   #14

Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have the Springfield pedestal and sliding table.
Not impressed with either one !
Know nothing about the Lagun
Hey Steve
Is there a specific reason you are not happy with Springfield pedestal ..
ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineMcD View Post
Hey Steve
Is there a specific reason you are not happy with Springfield pedestal ..
My wife finds it difficult / impossible to lower , lock or unlock the pedestal
When the table is in the lowered position , I have to get down on my arthritic knees to release the pedestal and then fight my way backup which I find a PITA
The table wobbles and tips from side to side even though I have repaired / adjusted the slide mechanism, slide stop and pedestal clamps

For as much money as it costs , I was disappointed, I expected more , but to be fair maybe I expected too much!
If I was to do it again I would probably choose the Lagun or the standard factory table .
There are many options on our Escape that in hindsight were not money well spent nor have they improved our camping experience .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:39 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
We have the Springfield in the 5.0 along with the wrap around dinette. Getting in and out of the dinette can be difficult. I hate the fact I cannot lock down the table. It always slides a little. I don't mind the smaller table.

There is no way to play a guitar, that you care about, with the Springfield table in the dinette area. I am relegated to the stairs.

But even when using my computer or surfing the news, it's cramped in the dinette. I still like it, but I want the Lagun table. I may switch but not any time soon.
I have no trouble locking down the Springfield when needed. I lock the slides when up only.

If I push the table to one side there is lots of room for playing guitar. That said, I pretty much only play outside. The placement of our pedestal allows lots of foot room, even for 4 adults. I only have size 10 1/2 shoes though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:31 AM   #17

Trailer: I don’t have one yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My wife finds it difficult / impossible to lower , lock or unlock the pedestal
When the table is in the lowered position , I have to get down on my arthritic knees to release the pedestal and then fight my way backup which I find a PITA
The table wobbles and tips from side to side even though I have repaired / adjusted the slide mechanism, slide stop and pedestal clamps

For as much money as it costs , I was disappointed, I expected more , but to be fair maybe I expected too much!
If I was to do it again I would probably choose the Lagun or the standard factory table .
There are many options on our Escape that in hindsight were not money well spent nor have they improved our camping experience .
Steve, what options would you have left off now that hindsight is 20/20?
eschee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I installed the Lagun, our very first mod, had the mount before we had the trailer. We totally love it. More options as to table positions and nothing getting in the way of your feet. And plenty of room for the dog under there. I’m using the original table, removed the slide you don’t need it. Can convert to bed in about 1 minute. No regrets👍👍
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have no trouble locking down the Springfield when needed. I lock the slides when up only.

If I push the table to one side there is lots of room for playing guitar. That said, I pretty much only play outside. The placement of our pedestal allows lots of foot room, even for 4 adults. I only have size 10 1/2 shoes though.

How do you lock the slides? Did I miss a mod somewhere?

I would like to stop my table from sliding at times.

I can lock them in the down position for traveling, which I do every time. But I cannot stop them from sliding in their track.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:34 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Like I said Lagun has lots of options 😎
Attached Thumbnails
C89BB9BC-1C33-457F-B2A6-26B669180C92.jpeg   CA8763FA-7E3F-4C48-BBE6-35E98D94EC5E.jpeg   6CFE0847-8BCE-4FC8-A749-D10D0889A060.jpeg   17978D5C-CBF4-46AF-A5EE-48C7E1DD4993.jpeg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote