Starter kit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
Starter kit

Should we get this, or just get some of it separately. Will I be disappointed in the quality and end up replacing some of the items? Or are there some items missing?
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
What model are you buying? 17, 19 or 21?
Old 08-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
Starter kit

Sorry I should have put in we are getting a escape 21 this November.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If you are new to RVing, then the kit is great. If you have previously had an RV, then you might already have the stuff included.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
For purposes of conversation here is what the ETI website has for the kit: "Starter kit with Tandem Chocks (Includes: 4 Rolls RV Toilet Tissue, 1 ltr Toilet Chemical, 10 prs of Lg Latex Gloves, 25’ Water Hose, City Water Pressure Regulator, 2 Tandem Chocks, Propane Tanks Purged & Filled, Hitch Lock)"

Those that bought new trailers can provide first hand info, but I imagine if you are going right out to camp nearby ETI as a shakedown that having the propane tanks already on board and ready to go would be beneficial. The rest in my mind is very easily purchased at the quality level you desire and brought with you.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I'll second much of the above. If you don't already have any of that stuff from a previous trailer, and you plan to go camping immediately after pick-up, the kit is a handy way to get started with the basics. Otherwise, you can purchase some or all of the same stuff prior to pick-up or after you get the camper home (WalMart, Camping World, Amazon, etc.).
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
When we were putting our build sheet together, I decided the Starter Kit was not worth it for us. The things in there that I wanted, I was able to purchase elsewhere for less than they were charging (even with the exchange rate at the time) for items that were listed individually. Many of the items in the Kit we weren't interested in or I wanted a different brand. No way am I going near that RV toilet paper!

We did purchase separately the filled propane tanks.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
The Starter Kit is a fair value and includes much of what you will need if camping right away. As an alternative, Connor RV supply store is about a mile away from ETI in Chilliwack. It is a small store, but they carry good quality. I'm not sure if they purge and fill propane tanks.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19'
Send a message via MSN to jd65 Send a message via Yahoo to jd65
We opted to buy the starter kit when we picked up our new 19 this past March. We're new to RVing and had none of that gear, plus it was just less to deal with when we made the quick trip to Chilliwack. We camped in our new trailer for two nights during the trip back home and it was good to have what we needed. As we went through some winter weather between Chilliwack and California, having those propane tanks ready to go was a real treat.
jd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Starting out

While I can't weigh in on the ETI kit I can tell you that One way or the other you need a pressure regulator before you use a city water connection. In a campground and that ETI sells a screwdriver with multiple bits in the handle for about $15. Get one and forget about a whole handful of drivers, then find the equivalent in a stubby style and you'll be screwdriver rich. It takes a while to figure out what you will need and use. If you don't have something and you're in a campground look for an old guy who seems to be always moving, not sleeping in a chair and ask him for a little help. If I'm sleeping, don't wake me, I'll be surly. I've made friends that way from both aspects. Remember, use a regulator. Rubber gloves and soap at the dump station, common hand tools and friendly disposition.
Dave