Stay safe - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2019, 01:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Stay safe

Today I observed a Jeep Compass or Renegade ( no matter ) struggling to tow what appeared to be an Airstream Bambi on a dead flat portion of Highway #1 approaching Vancouver.
I looked up the Compass and Renegade and they have a 2,000 pound tow rating. I expect the Bambi comes in well over that weight, even dry.
Shortly after that, on the same stretch of road, I passed a Yukon dragging a huge box with KZ graphics on it. The Yukon's headlights were pointed skyward. Not entirely sure, but it appeared that the Yukon had no weight distribution hitch and really could have used one.
Not sure what one can do when RV sales people are willing to say anything to complete a sale. Not sure what one can do when travelling in an adjacent lane at 55 mph.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not sure what one can do when travelling in an adjacent lane at 55 mph.
Don't. Seriously, you can't drive the other vehicles, but you can control where you are relative to them to a substantial degree.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Today I observed a Jeep Compass or Renegade ( no matter ) struggling to tow what appeared to be an Airstream Bambi on a dead flat portion of Highway #1 approaching Vancouver.
I looked up the Compass and Renegade and they have a 2,000 pound tow rating. I expect the Bambi comes in well over that weight, even dry.
Yes, depends on the length of the Bambi model but they are all significantly over 2000# DRY.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I've never understood this! I hear it all the time - I want as small a vehicle as possible so my gas mileage will be higher. Without the trailer, sure. Towing the trailer, the gas mileage goes to the pits and they are unsafe on the road.

The only time my Tundra leaves the driveway, it has the trailer behind it. That's what I bought it for. When running around town, we drive a Subaru which gets great gas mileage but would be suicidal towing anything.

Funny though, the Tundra has more miles on it than the Subaru and it's 3 years newer.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I've never understood this! I hear it all the time - I want as small a vehicle as possible so my gas mileage will be higher. Without the trailer, sure. Towing the trailer, the gas mileage goes to the pits and they are unsafe on the road.

The only time my Tundra leaves the driveway, it has the trailer behind it. That's what I bought it for. When running around town, we drive a Subaru which gets great gas mileage but would be suicidal towing anything.

Funny though, the Tundra has more miles on it than the Subaru and it's 3 years newer
Same happening here, except ours is a F150 and a Toyota Pious.

The F150 is a 2015, and the Pious a 2014, that had 24,000 miles on it when purchased nearly four years ago. The F150 has 64,000 miles and is catching up to the Pious' 78,000 miles.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Not everyone can afford to have a vehicle which is not a daily driver. (Not that I'm condoning pulling an Airstream of any kind with something with a 2000 lb limit.) But for example, when I lived in Fresno my garage was taken up by one car, one trailer. No driveway, and not safe to leave either on street. No chance for a second dedicated tow vehicle. And couples often need two daily commuters.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Funny though, the Tundra has more miles on it than the Subaru and it's 3 years newer.

Tom also have a Subaru and love it , but not for towing ,the Ford truck we have is . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:

Yep same with my F150
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote