stock stereo sound quality?? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2020, 02:14 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
No offense taken.

I guess my point is even thou I may not be able to mitigate the hard surfaces and corners, you can take the sound way beyond what you might think. No, trailers are not concert halls.

You don't have to do what I did (specialized tweeters, woofers and curved arrays). This is for seriously creating music, but it's great at reproduction too. You can spend one tenth the money and add a little EQ and have a system you can dial in for your trailer and use with the TV. There is nothing wrong with the standard kit, I just happen to have something that is in another class entirely but I do like the speakers in a different position. I like them pointed at me. And sound levels are actually easier to control at low levels anyway. Not to mention saving your hearing, which is something I put a priority on.

One or two bluetooth speakers (don't get cheap ones) and possibly an audio interface with cables to go with your pc/mac and personal library and you are good to go. I used the $240 Bose Bluetooth until the battery wore out and it was more than fine.
Tim, I’m glad you took no offense. I suspect the components you are installing will be able to produce higher quality sound than what ETI installs. I’m just not sure you will get the upgrade’s full benefit in improved sound inside the trailer. I hope you do get sound that is extremely pleasing to your ears. A few years back I saw Roger Waters perform The Wall at the Amalie Arena (home of Tampa Bay Lightning). The performance was visually stunning but the acoustics left a lot to be desired. Still, it was a great concert and I am glad that I experienced it.

As an aside, IMHO sound quality has been degraded ever since the switch from tubes to transistors and from vinyl to computer (chip) conversion of digits to sound!
Old 04-14-2020, 02:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
You know what I hope?

I hope we get to crack a couple of beers (or whatever), sit back and listen to these speakers on a nice Summer day and see what we both think!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have visions of Tim playing his stereo so loud his windows blow out.........
Old 04-14-2020, 05:10 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've been shopping for affordable BT speakers, and for now since my accountant-er-wife said NO MONEY, I bought the cheapest decent one I could find...

1) TriBit XSound Go - small, light, waterproof, rugged, decent sound for acoustic sort of music, long battery life, USB charging (5V, 1A), $28(!!). cons: not much real bass due to its size

2) TriBit MaxSoundPlus - larger version of all of the above, $55, better bass

3) JBL Charge4 - larger yet again, good bass, all the above features w/ USB C charging (5V @ 2.3A), $135.

eventually I want to get a Charge4, but for now, the dimnuitive XSound Go will suffice for late night bedtime music inside.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

You make me laugh! And thanks for that!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
3) JBL Charge4 - larger yet again, good bass, all the above features w/ USB C charging (5V @ 2.3A), $135.

I have that JBL ( gift from SIL ) and then he upgraded by gifting me a UE Boom. Ultimate Ears, which is even better, according to people with musical perception.
Mostly I listen to FM radio ( CBC Radio One ) with one earbud in my ear and one hanging inside my shirt, so I can still hear what's going on around me, and say, "yes dear".
Old 04-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

I don't know why he doesn't turn it up now so we can all comment on the sound quality.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #28

Quote:
You know what I hope?

I hope we get to crack a couple of beers (or whatever), sit back and listen to these speakers on a nice Summer day and see what we both think!
Now that’s a good plan. We’ll Have to be careful, however. After enough beer, speakers from Kmart might begin to sound good!
Old 04-14-2020, 07:10 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
You know what I hope?

Great ideas, but do we really have to bother thinking?
Quote:
I've been shopping for affordable BT speakers, and for now since my accountant-er-wife said NO MONEY, I bought the cheapest decent one I could find...

1) TriBit XSound Go - small, light, waterproof, rugged, decent sound for acoustic sort of music, long battery life, USB charging (5V, 1A), $28(!!). cons: not much real bass due to its size

2) TriBit MaxSoundPlus - larger version of all of the above, $55, better bass

eventually I want to get a Charge4, but for now, the dimnuitive XSound Go will suffice for late night bedtime music inside.
Until they were stolen during the break-in, I loved the performance of the UE Boom 2 (what baglo was referring to). Nice size, great sound and plenty of volume. Also waterproof and can easily be set up in stereo if you decide to buy two. Great when paired with a TV or small radio too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:04 PM   #30

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
UE Boom 2 (what baglo was referring to). Great when paired with a TV or small radio too.
Not being a "techie" so forgive my ignorance. Awhile back I was looking into using a bluetooth speaker with my trailer television. Previously we used a large laptop to watch some Netflix and had no problem with the words matching the lips. But trying the same thing with the television we had latency (words were behind the lip movement).

As I was looking into this I found that in order to correct that (using bluetooth speakers, not wired) I would need to attach a "low latency adapter" to my television (some larger televisions come with it I guess) AND also would need low latency speakers. I didn't find many of that type of speaker and I think they were very pricey and I gave up on the idea.

It does not look like this speaker has that "apt-X-LL" ability for use with a television.

Have others had luck using bluetooth speakers with their smaller televisions?
Old 04-14-2020, 10:17 PM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Beats By Dre, I can take it anywhere!

Often I put my phone in a bowl.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:44 PM   #32
Site Team

I have a pair of the original all billet alloy Grado Signature HP 1000's. they sound really really good but you need a headphone amp to drive them from a portable device (phone, ipod, etc).
Old 04-14-2020, 10:56 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I’ve used the Anker BT speaker for about two years and very pleased with it.
https://amzn.to/3cnPDzt
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:00 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I’ve used the Anker BT speaker for about two years and very pleased with it.
https://amzn.to/3cnPDzt
yeah, that compares to the one I got, https://www.amazon.com/Tribit-XSound.../dp/B07594HZ6Y

a couple reviews from folks who sounded like they knew what they were talking about thought the Tribit sounded cleaner.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:45 AM   #35

Quote:
I have a pair of the original all billet alloy Grado Signature HP 1000's. they sound really really good but you need a headphone amp to drive them from a portable device (phone, ipod, etc).
I’m impressed, John. Most people typically have never heard of Grado Labs, whereas most professional musicians have and many of them use their products.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:16 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Not being a "techie" so forgive my ignorance. Awhile back I was looking into using a bluetooth speaker with my trailer television. Previously we used a large laptop to watch some Netflix and had no problem with the words matching the lips. But trying the same thing with the television we had latency (words were behind the lip movement).

As I was looking into this I found that in order to correct that (using bluetooth speakers, not wired) I would need to attach a "low latency adapter" to my television (some larger televisions come with it I guess) AND also would need low latency speakers. I didn't find many of that type of speaker and I think they were very pricey and I gave up on the idea.

It does not look like this speaker has that "apt-X-LL" ability for use with a television.

Have others had luck using bluetooth speakers with their smaller televisions?
I have not used it with the TV a lot, but did a bunch of times on one very poor weather 2 week plus trip. I did used a Bluetooth transceiver with the TV a couple times and had no trouble with the sound to matching to the video, at least what we noticed. I mostly hooked it up via cable, as I found that just as easy close by and inside.

With the phones and music I use Bluetooth only.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #37

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have not used it with the TV a lot, but did a bunch of times on one very poor weather 2 week plus trip. I did used a Bluetooth transceiver with the TV a couple times and had no trouble with the sound to matching to the video, at least what we noticed. I mostly hooked it up via cable, as I found that just as easy close by and inside.

With the phones and music I use Bluetooth only.
Thanks Jim, I tried it with a transmitter on a TV at home and had enough delay that it bothered me. The television I have in the trailer does have more volume than the Laptop and volume was my main purpose of using the bluetooth speaker with the laptop.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #38

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
We have the factory radio and are happy with it ( after the repairs ).
When ETI installed the radio, the speakers were cross wired.
Front right with left rear and front left with right rear.
During pickup orientation they went over the stereo and it did not sound right.
After getting home I had to drop the radio surround and fix the wiring.
Now it sounds much better, and I can switch between front
and rear speakers or both. Bluetooth speakers have there place, but I am old fashioned and like the convenience of a hard mounted system.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape 21 2018 "Gypsy Cat"
Lots of great ideas expressed in this thread. Also would love to get together with Uncle Tim and C&G in FL to crack a beer and listen to their systems!

We went with the stock stereo system when building our E21 and are happy with the results. Even though the effects of resistance loss on audio quality are controversial, we did supply 14-gauge wire for connecting the speakers. The bass response is not the same as with our systems at home, but this could be addressed by adding a powered subwoofer, if desired.

We plug a digital audio player (400 GB storage capacity) into our trailer system to provide uncompressed, CD-quality sound in a compact device, but also carry a few CDs with us for recordings we've not transferred to the DAP.

Some links I've found useful that may be helpful to readers of this thread (I have no financial relationships with any of these):

Headphones:

head-fi.org
innerfidelity.com

DIY speaker kits and parts:

madisoundspeakerstore.com
parts-express.com

A recent, readable book on the topic of sound reproduction:

Music and Audio: A User Guide to Better Sound, by Mark "Dr. AIX" Waldrep, copyright 2018, Domain is Parked

Cheers!

-- Claude
MadCAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCAT3 View Post
Lots of great ideas expressed in this thread. Also would love to get together with Uncle Tim and C&G in FL to crack a beer and listen to their systems.
Claude. Would also like to get together and have some brew, but to listen to Tim’s system. Mine is not upgraded from what ETI installed. When on the road, we rarely use it, and if we do, it’s not for long periods of time and it is stuff streamed from an iPhone, either SiriusXM or my extensive CD collection scanned into iTunes.

When I listen in the trailer, it is usually on my Bluetooth Noise Cancelling Bose headphones. Another occupant of the trailer would sleep until late morning and has a tendency to snore. After I arise and remove my earplugs, the headphones are the only way I can filter out grating noises. I will, however, say no more nor divulge to whom I refer! It’s safer that way......