stock stereo sound quality?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2020, 06:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
stock stereo sound quality??

stock stereo sound guilty

I checking into stereo . how is the stock for sound? I see it can be bought on amazon for 70 bucks. makes me think maybe i should upgrade and do my own install. Those of you useing it are you happy with it. does it draw any power when off?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My preference after having the stock stereo in my previous Escape is to use a free standing radio. Very easy to link via Bluetooth to a great speaker. That, along with our phones provides all the news and music we would ever need, and it can go outside easily to.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My preference after having the stock stereo in my previous Escape is to use a free standing radio. Very easy to link via Bluetooth to a great speaker. That, along with our phones provides all the news and music we would ever need, and it can go outside easily to.
Thanks for pointing that out seems to make sense . sometimes you get so deep in build sheet you think you need everything .I have stilite radio in teh truck i wonder if i can connect a Bluetooth speaker to use in camper. hmmm
Old 04-14-2020, 07:57 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you have satellite subscription, you can get a satellite radio for inside to receive signals, install a satellite antenna and blue tooth speakers- done. Try to get a 12v model...
Old 04-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you have satellite subscription, you can get a satellite radio for inside to receive signals, install a satellite antenna and blue tooth speakers- done. Try to get a 12v model...
I have to check into that. I think they want to charge you per receiver , but if i could use the truck receiver they couldn't do that
Old 04-14-2020, 09:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
My only comment is that the inside of an Escape is not a concert hall and no acoustic device, speaker or radio is going to turn it into one. That being said, the sound quality of the unit installed by ETI is far superior to that which comes out of the speaker of a smart phone, if that helps, but not as good as a $300 set of Bose Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I have to check into that. I think they want to charge you per receiver , but if i could use the truck receiver they couldn't do that

Sirius XM is so desperate to keep subscribers that to keep me, they gave me six months for $30 CAD. Time before that they charged me $6 a month and sent me another dock for my radio.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
With the many providers of just about unlimited music, news and talk stations, with way more selecting than you could ever use all of, satellite is losing out. I know lots of folks who have dumped it. It was a good resource at one time, but now it's main benefit is reception where cells have none, but because you can download playlists or talk shows and cell reception is getting so much better, it has never been an issue for us.

Though that sure is a cheap price for satellite.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #9

I called up at renewal, fully intent on cancelling and told them I wanted to cancel. They asked why and I said that I haven't listened to it since the last renewal (six months), that reception breaks up in the mountains, that I only use it in the trailer and I wasn't going camping any time soon. That quickly got me transferred to "Retention".
I'm not certain that even $30 for six months is a good deal, if I don't listen to it.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
My only comment is that the inside of an Escape is not a concert hall and no acoustic device, speaker or radio is going to turn it into one. That being said, the sound quality of the unit installed by ETI is far superior to that which comes out of the speaker of a smart phone, if that helps, but not as good as a $300 set of Bose Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones.

Ummm... You might want to stop by my 5.0 before you go to far with this one. I intend to be most respectful to my fellow campers, but there is no question I can blow the fiberglass out with my setup.

High, high fidelity, sound separated, loud (not used very much, but there if needed). You can take it outside too!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I called up at renewal, fully intent on cancelling and told them I wanted to cancel. They asked why and I said that I haven't listened to it since the last renewal (six months), that reception breaks up in the mountains, that I only use it in the trailer and I wasn't going camping any time soon. That quickly got me transferred to "Retention".
I'm not certain that even $30 for six months is a good deal, if I don't listen to it.
I think they have found that for $5-$6 per month, even if you rarely use it many find it worth keeping. Over the last 6 months I used the trailer XM Radio system a total of 9 days/nights in places that didn't have cell coverage or FM radio. Would have added another couple of days at Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountain NP, but they closed it before I got there. I still renewed it.

I do use the XM Radio in the truck quite a bit. Too many roads without cell coverage or decent FM stations.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #12

I like to listen to Dragnet, The Shadow, Green Hornet and others on the Radio Classics channel. Only do that when camping. Tune into Willie Nelson's Roadhouse for country music, once we're well out of the city.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Ummm... You might want to stop by my 5.0 before you go to far with this one. I intend to be most respectful to my fellow campers, but there is no question I can blow the fiberglass out with my setup.

High, high fidelity, sound separated, loud (not used very much, but there if needed). You can take it outside too!
No matter what you do, you cannot match the acoustics of a concert hall. I am very happy with the ETI installed stereo in my Escape, but it is not the Ryman Auditorium nor Carnegie Hall and, also with all due respect Tim, neither is yours. Wooden cabinetry, Formica, and vinyl flooring does not promote superb acoustics. And being able to “blow the fiberglass out” does not equate to superb sound quality. Again, with all due respect.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #14

No offense taken.

I guess my point is even thou I may not be able to mitigate the hard surfaces and corners, you can take the sound way beyond what you might think. No, trailers are not concert halls.

You don't have to do what I did (specialized tweeters, woofers and curved arrays). This is for seriously creating music, but it's great at reproduction too. You can spend one tenth the money and add a little EQ and have a system you can dial in for your trailer and use with the TV. There is nothing wrong with the standard kit, I just happen to have something that is in another class entirely but I do like the speakers in a different position. I like them pointed at me. And sound levels are actually easier to control at low levels anyway. Not to mention saving your hearing, which is something I put a priority on.

One or two bluetooth speakers (don't get cheap ones) and possibly an audio interface with cables to go with your pc/mac and personal library and you are good to go. I used the $240 Bose Bluetooth until the battery wore out and it was more than fine.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Our Escape did not have the factory radio , and since my wife likes to listen to her music while preparing meals , I decided to add a radio
I bought a $100 Pioneer car stereo / CD player with blue tooth , a pair of $80 speakers from E-trailer and a $20 antenna . Built a small oak radio enclosure , installed the radio , ran some wires and mounted the speakers .

Is the sound great “NO “ but it works for us . I never expected to get the concert hall experience inside a fiberglass trailer . My wife’s happy and that’s all that matters to me

Maybe someday I will use the radio’s bluetooth feature but first I have to figure out what it is and what it does .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #16

We can't get any radio signals here. Too close to the foothills. I wish we could. We have to do it over the internet, like iHeart Radio or something like that.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Our Escape did not have the factory radio , and since my wife likes to listen to her music while preparing meals , I decided to add a radio
I bought a $100 Pioneer car stereo / CD player with blue tooth , a pair of $80 speakers from E-trailer and a $20 antenna . Built a small oak radio enclosure , installed the radio , ran some wires and mounted the speakers .

Is the sound great “NO “ but it works for us . I never expected to get the concert hall experience inside a fiberglass trailer . My wife’s happy and that’s all that matters to me

Maybe someday I will use the radio’s bluetooth feature but first I have to figure out what it is and what it does .

do you have a picture of the install? any trouble getting wires around in the escape?
Old 04-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #18
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
stock stereo sound guilty

I checking into stereo . how is the stock for sound? ...Those of you useing it are you happy with it. does it draw any power when off?
Yes, we are happy with it. Nice clear crisp sound. Depending on where we are inside the trailer, I like the feature that toggles between the front and back speakers. Helps to keep the overall sound good for us, and lessens the possibility of disrupting our neighbors next-door with our music or movies.

Does it draw power when off? Yes, I believe it draws just a tiny bit to light up the clock with a faint blue background. Someone here probably knows exactly how much. Some people say that faint blue light bothers them at night so they cover it with something but it doesn't bother us at all. The face also pops off (comes with a case to put it in), so that is probably the best way to cut off all the power from the unit and remedies the faint blue light at night, if that is a concern. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
do you have a picture of the install? any trouble getting wires around in the escape?
If I get a chance to get over to where our trailer is stored and I remember, I will take some pictures
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If I get a chance to get over to where our trailer is stored and I remember, I will take some pictures
Hi Steve I am also interested ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote