Storage in Sumas or Lynden by the day - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Storage in Sumas or Lynden by the day

We will be crossing the border on the last Saturday of July and staying at Harrison Hot Springs until Monday morning. Is there a storage facility in Lynden or Sumas that charges by the day? We will have 2 or 3 large totes filled with stuff (sheets, pillows, plates, pots and pans, etc.) for the trailer. It seems like it would be easier and less border hassle. Then again, maybe not. What have Y'all done? Money exchange? I would like to change a few US dollars into Canadian. Is there a place around the border that does that?

Thanks
James Gang
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Actually it's pretty easy to cross the border with totes full of stuff, when you tell the Custom's agent you're going to Chilliwack to pickup a new Escape trailer They've heard it so many times before!

I crossed in July 2014 with five totes full of stuff. Just pay extra attention to food stuffs and (of course) anything illegal to take into Canada.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gang View Post
We will be crossing the border on the last Saturday of July and staying at Harrison Hot Springs until Monday morning.
Money exchange? I would like to change a few US dollars into Canadian. Is there a place around the border that does that?
In tourist areas near the border it has been (I haven't checked recently) routine to accept U.S. currency... although sometimes at an unfavourable exchange rate.

The easiest way to get some cash is to just take it out of your U.S. bank account at a bank machine (ATM) - only Canadian cash comes out of machines in Canada. That's how I get U.S. and Mexican currency when travelling.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
If you go to a Walmart in Canada and purchase some groceries with an international credit card, for example, Bank of America's Travel Rewards Card, you won't get socked with an international transaction fee, and you can get cash back at the Walmart, however much you want. And the bank will make all the adjustments based upon the exchange rate. Very easy.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If you go to a Walmart in Canada and purchase some groceries with an international credit card, for example, Bank of America's Travel Rewards Card, you won't get socked with an international transaction fee, and you can get cash back at the Walmart, however much you want. And the bank will make all the adjustments based upon the exchange rate. Very easy.
Good idea. Many grocery stores allow the extra cash, as well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Actually it's pretty easy to cross the border with totes full of stuff, when you tell the Custom's agent you're going to Chilliwack to pickup a new Escape trailer They've heard it so many times before!

I crossed in July 2014 with five totes full of stuff. Just pay extra attention to food stuffs and (of course) anything illegal to take into Canada.
I would like info on 1-2 day storage - I plan to bring a case or two of upstate NY beer & wine with me (where else would you find Bear Naked Amber Adirondack beer?) & after picking up the trailer, continue around the west & southwest for 6 months before going home, i.e. if I want it, I have to bring it & it will be more than allowed across the border.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I would like info on 1-2 day storage - I plan to bring a case or two of upstate NY beer & wine with me (where else would you find Bear Naked Amber Adirondack beer?) & after picking up the trailer, continue around the west & southwest for 6 months before going home, i.e. if I want it, I have to bring it & it will be more than allowed across the border.
Jon:
I would suggest that you contact the good folks at Bromleys IGA market in Sumas. They will store things for you that are not allowed in Canada. They have a website with contact numbers which you can call and get an estimate of their charges. I've never stored things there but I have purchased food and beer food there. I know they cater to this trade and were friendly when I was in there a year ago. They had a fairly attractive price on Alaskan Ale and some other craft beers.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Jon:
I would suggest that you contact the good folks at Bromleys IGA market in Sumas.
They also store weapons not allowed across the border. Just sayin'
Old 04-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Donna
Rita has to check her whip and chair. I'm good with that.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Hello Jon,
I'd be glad to hold your beer for a day or two ... no problem.... oh wait ... I'm in Alaska ..... well no matter - in a week I can be at Big Bobs. I'll keep most of it for your return!

Tom
Old 06-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #11

Trailer: 2023 21
Does anyone know of another temporary storage solution, since Bromleys has closed?
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Perhaps Yorky's Market on Alabama St. in Bellingham. I know the Yorky's in Blaine does storage, so perhaps the one in Bellingham does as well. It's only a block or two away from the route to Sumas through Bellingham, so if they do, that would be pretty convenient. Give them a call.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverson View Post
Does anyone know of another temporary storage solution, since Bromleys has closed?
Oh no...Bromley's was so convenient (and cheap) to store items you cannot take across.
gelayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 2023 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Perhaps Yorky's Market on Alabama St. in Bellingham.
Yorkys in Bellingham does not provide this service.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When traveling to Osoyoos this past May, we had stopped in California and picked up a case of custom bottled wine. We did not wish to pay customs going into Canada so I called around the stores in Oroville. Found one who said he wanted $10 found a second who said "free" as long as I bought something. We dropped off the case and returned after Osoyoos, picked up some breakfast sandwiches and coffee (it was 8 am) and we were good. So called around the local food stores, you will have to stock up fresh fruit and veg anyway returning.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The Sumas U-Haul dealer (United Letterlock Group), Inc is just across Cherry street from where your trailer will be delivered (Bob's Burger). They do shipping for all the major carriers and had no problem charging me $10.00 per day to store my U Haul trailer while I picked up the Escape 21.

I'd call to see if they will do storage without shipping, but the barn is big enough that I suspect they do.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
I'm packing the truck to leave Monday for Chilliwack. I've decided to rent a storage unit at Sumas Mini-Storage 446 Harrison Street to store my stuff while I'm in Canada. I could probably juggle things around while I get the hitch installed but the $37.00 I'll have to pay for a monthly rental on a 5x4x8 unit seemed worth it to avoid the hassle . They were easy to work with and I was able to secure the rental via e-mail and phone. I want to bring all supplies I have been accumulating over the past 10 months to outfit Wild Thing, but really don't want to have to unpack it all for customs inspection. It would be a big challenge to repack This will also free me up to buy some wine along the way!
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
I'm packing the truck to leave Monday for Chilliwack. I've decided to rent a storage unit at Sumas Mini-Storage 446 Harrison Street to store my stuff while I'm in Canada. I could probably juggle things around while I get the hitch installed but the $37.00 I'll have to pay for a monthly rental on a 5x4x8 unit seemed worth it to avoid the hassle . They were easy to work with and I was able to secure the rental via e-mail and phone. I want to bring all supplies I have been accumulating over the past 10 months to outfit Wild Thing, but really don't want to have to unpack it all for customs inspection. It would be a big challenge to repack This will also free me up to buy some wine along the way!
When we went to Chilliwack with 9 plastic totes in the truck bed, covered with a tonneau cover. We were never questioned about what was in the truck, other than the dogs in the back seat. We returned when we went to Bob's Burgers for delivery and hitch up and turned around and went right back across to return to Best Western. Again no questions other than why was I returning so quickly. We then unloaded the totes at the Best Western parking lot for 3 hours, loaded the trailer and crossed again to head home, no questions. My point being, I do not think that items in the truck bed are on the radar screen as items inside the trailer, particularly food seems to be their main focus.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #19
Site Team

As soon as you're asked Business or Pleasure... and you say you're there to pickup your new Escape trailer... you'll get an eye-roll, smile and wave on through. Coming back the other way, asked the same thing and you point over to the Commercial Lanes and say, that's my new Escape trailer. You'll hear a chuckle. AT LEAST THIS WAS MY EXPERIENCE.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When we went to Chilliwack with 9 plastic totes in the truck bed, covered with a tonneau cover.
Thanks Jim. Good to know. I have 8 bins under the tonneau cover and a back seat full of stuff. I'll probably decide I don't need it all in the end but it's a challenge leaving art supplies at home
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote