Stove Install, what the market will bear - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2022, 03:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Stove Install, what the market will bear

Down to North Shore RV this morning to get my replacement stove. I'd visited them previously and asked for the cost of an "install only" as the trailer would be arriving with the old stove removed.

Half hour, our shop rate is $150 an hour. OK, fair enough.

So, when all is said and done today my wife went in to pay the bill. $100. My wife said that I'd been told $75. He said that he'd heard that we could bill for $100.

OK, charge whatever you think that you can get away with, not the quoted amount. Good thing that I normally do 100% of everything that needs doing. Don't want to deal with a business like that.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 04:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
My wife will tell you women pay more for everything- and to some extent it is true.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:58 PM   #3

In this case the invoice was already printed off. Good thing that he hadn't been told a higher amount.

In my case I've never paid more for something than my wife. I first went shopping with her when she was still a teenager. She was buying some skis. They were marked down and I thought that the price was pretty good. By the time we walked out of the store the price had turned much better.

Since then I don't play any part in what something is going to cost. She's a shameless negotiator. Works for me.

Ron
Old 07-31-2022, 02:22 PM   #4

Last comment on the North Shore RV install of the new stove.

It looks like they take the new stove and drop it in the hole. Done.

My wife was muttering on how grubby the new stove was with the s/s not being cleaned up, still having production stains on it etc.

So it looks like ETI puts a little elbow grease into making items look not only new but new and shiny.

Ron
Old 07-31-2022, 07:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 E19
That reminds me of the time my daughter was shopping for a new range for her house. She knew the exact one she wanted and told me how much the appliance store quoted. Checking around, I found that price to be pretty much it... until I called a place that sold both retail and (a lot of) wholesale to home builders. I said I wanted a price on brand X, model YZ, color B, and is it in stock? It was, and the price the guy gave me was about $90 less than everyone else, so I said we'd be in shortly to get it. My daughter went down there to buy it and the salesman who met her inside (not knowing of the call) quoted her retail, $90 more. "But my dad called and it's this other price." Well, the salesman was unhappy to discover that someone had assumed I was a building contractor, but they honored the lower price.