Stove installation cost - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2022, 01:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 17B
An RV mobile tech in Sacramento called Suburban and was able to get the replacement stovetop sent to him. I think it is a matter of the willingness of the RV service repair shop or mobile tech to help in dealing with Suburban.
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
As I mentioned elsewhere, no dealer in the Kelowna area of BC wants any part of the job and if they did they are booking into November.

Last Friday I was driving by ETI and purchased the Dometic…nice looking stove.

I think changing over to the new size stove might take an hour and a bit, but changing out the Suburban should not take more than 15 mins.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:01 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSOD View Post
I am running into some major frustration around addressing the issue of the SDS2 Suburban cooktop recall. I have this item in my 21C. I called Suburban to ask for their list of "authorized repair shops” near me (I live in Calgary, Alberta) but was told simply to Google RV repair shops and find one, so it seems they don’t have “authorized repair shops”. The first two places I called gave me the same answer: we don’t do warranty/recall work, we aren’t authorized by Suburban, take it to the dealer. Well, this is pretty useless so far!

Has anyone in or around Calgary found an RV repair place willing to exchange the cooktop? Or anyone near me willing to pretend to be an "authorized RV repair shop" to whom I could get Suburban to send the thing?
It was suggested by Suburban that I could use this link for Airxcel but I am sure the Suburban link would also work.
https://www.airxcel.com/dealer-locator
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:07 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
Quote:

Has anyone in or around Calgary found an RV repair place willing to exchange the cooktop? Or anyone near me willing to pretend to be an "authorized RV repair shop" to whom I could get Suburban to send the thing?
We don’t have the stove problem, so haven’t asked the specific question, but we’ve had decent luck with these guys for repairs we don’t care to do ourselves:

https://swiftrvrepairs.com/
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasguy View Post
I took the drawer out next to the microwave & manipulated the phone into the space with the camera reversed. Took several photos, only 2 captured the serial numbers ��
I have a 2019 17B, it's impossible to capture the serial # when I took out the drawer beside the stove, I saw that piece of paper on bottom of stove, the only chance I can see that number is to take out the stove, no change to put in phone.
mirage99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:16 PM   #26

Trailer: 2021
If you have microwave underneath i would slide it out. Takes the square bit. Easy job.
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
If you have microwave underneath i would slide it out. Takes the square bit. Easy job.
Thx John, microwave is on other side and underneath stove is blocked in a board
Old 07-10-2022, 12:52 AM   #28

Quote:
I am running into some major frustration around addressing the issue of the SDS2 Suburban cooktop recall. I have this item in my 21C. I called Suburban to ask for their list of "authorized repair shops” near me (I live in Calgary, Alberta) but was told simply to Google RV repair shops and find one, so it seems they don’t have “authorized repair shops”. The first two places I called gave me the same answer: we don’t do warranty/recall work, we aren’t authorized by Suburban, take it to the dealer. Well, this is pretty useless so far!

Same to me in Edmonton area, called 2 shops, they won't do recall job.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:33 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
If you're anywhere near Worcester, Massachusetts, I found an RV repair shop which was able to handle the Suburban recall. They charged me for one hour's time ($130) to install and test the replacement unit, which they ordered from Suburban (I'll have to get $100 from Escape): TimbuktuRV: https://timbuckturv.com Contact Cassandra LeBlanc.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:42 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage99 View Post
I have a 2019 17B, it's impossible to capture the serial # when I took out the drawer beside the stove, I saw that piece of paper on bottom of stove, the only chance I can see that number is to take out the stove, no change to put in phone.
I also have the 17B with the recalled stove. I lessened the bolts in each corner of the stovetop. Lifted it up and snapped a picture. Took less than 10 minutes. I contacted Suburban. They confirmed I would get a replacement by email and provided the Canadian contact. I sent the email to my rv repair guy. The new cooktop is in, it will be replaced next week. I’m sure the cost will be covered by the $120 from Escape.

So far easy, Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:24 PM   #31

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
I finally got my stove replaced. Thanks to those who made suggestions for repair places. The place that did mine was on the on-line list of approved service centres, but was the only one of the first 4 I called that would do the switch. It cost me $126 including GST (Canadian). Perhaps the replacement didn't take too long, but the shop had to return the original stovetop via UPS and that extra hassle justified the $120 in my opinion. I asked if they would like me to post their details for others on this forum, but they said no! Didn't make any money from the job. These guys now have my business from now on though. Now I just have to get reimbursed from ETI. Anyone had success with that?
NoSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:05 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
I finally got my stove replaced. Thanks to those who made suggestions for repair places. The place that did mine was on the on-line list of approved service centres, but was the only one of the first 4 I called that would do the switch. It cost me $126 including GST (Canadian). Perhaps the replacement didn't take too long, but the shop had to return the original stovetop via UPS and that extra hassle justified the $120 in my opinion. I asked if they would like me to post their details for others on this forum, but they said no! Didn't make any money from the job. These guys now have my business from now on though. Now I just have to get reimbursed from ETI. Anyone had success with that?
I got my check from ETI for US$100 last week. TimbuktuRV in Worcester (MA) charged me their hourly rate ($130). I'm not complaining, and I found a shop (not a dealer) that I can turn to if I have a problem I can't solve myself.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:12 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
My local RV repair shop handled it all. Received the new cooktop and replaced it. They mentioned the hose on the cooktop was so short they had trouble checking the propane connections. I think they used a manometer to do a leak down test. Cost was $120 C plus tax. I photographed the invoice, forwarded it to Escape. Got an instant reply it was submitted for payment.
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 2018 17B
We got ours replaced by JR RV in Sedro Wooley Wa. They did a good job, leak tested etc. Cost was $90.
Pfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:46 PM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
A local RV shop in Vancouver charged us $140 to replace it. They did complain they had to send the old stove back to Suburban and also spend time on hold with them when confirming the stove order (the front desk clerk said it was 45 minutes on hold). I expect that is why they charged us for the full hour of labour. They said they wouldn't do future recall work, though. We are glad that we got in within a few weeks and will only be out of pocket a few bucks. But it is hard to find a shop that will put up with the hassle.
MoDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:49 PM   #36

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
Hi Can you please tell me who replaced your stove in Vancouver area. I've called everyone I can find and they are all telling me they can't do the work. I'm getting worried as I don't want to blow up.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:59 PM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcescapist View Post
Hi Can you please tell me who replaced your stove in Vancouver area. I've called everyone I can find and they are all telling me they can't do the work. I'm getting worried as I don't want to blow up.
We used North Shore RV. Worth a try but I doubt they will do another. They are a small shop and said it took too much administration time to do the recall work. Have you tried Travco in Burnaby? They used to work on my boler a bit. Suburban told me I could use any certified RV shop, I didn't need to use one on their list!
MoDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:52 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug King View Post
Talked with 2 RV places, neither wanted the job and said their labor rate was $159.00 per hour. One said they didn't think the 3/4 hour allowance would be enough.
FWIW, local Ford dealer has a one hour minimum. I needed my F150 hooked up to the computer to recognize the optional brake controller. Less than 5 minute job, one hour minimum. So I let them do the entire install instead. Hour and a half job, but pretty involved.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
FWIW, local Ford dealer has a one hour minimum. I needed my F150 hooked up to the computer to recognize the optional brake controller. Less than 5 minute job, one hour minimum. So I let them do the entire install instead. Hour and a half job, but pretty involved.
So you bought the OEM Factory Brake Controller for an after market install? If so, the good news is you can add it later. However, with Ford Transit Vans & Ford Explorer their HD Tow Package does NOT include the controller and they are impossible to install by anyone from MY 2020 forward. To be fair- the HD Tow Package on my Expedition was a $1,570 Option- and was $485 for the Transit. The Expedtion HD Tow also has the Trailer Backup, yet I never use it.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:49 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoDee View Post
We used North Shore RV. Worth a try but I doubt they will do another. They are a small shop and said it took too much administration time to do the recall work. Have you tried Travco in Burnaby? They used to work on my boler a bit. Suburban told me I could use any certified RV shop, I didn't need to use one on their list!
North Shore RV did mine, week before last, $100, $5 shop supplies plus taxes, $117.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote