Stove installation cost - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2022, 06:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Stove installation cost

Nice to receive specific information on the process for receiving a new SDS2 stove.

A little disappointing though as I'd prefer to install my own.

But good to get a free replacement. Canadians will be reimbursed up to $120 CDN for the installation cost. I'm wondering what the dealer will charge and if it's worth phoning several to get quotes. I'd hate to pay more than what I'll be reimbursed for. Not that I think it should be anywhere near that allowance, it's a pretty simple job.

So, anyone that gets an installation quote please post it so we'll all know what's reasonable and what's gouging.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:45 PM   #2
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Swapping out the Suburban for a Dometic supplied by Escape was $178 for installation alone at Trademasters in Chilliwack. After phoning around the Fraser Valley, most places charge a minimum of an hour, and that was a low end quote. At first they refused to do it as they wanted to supply the stove, but waived their policy as they couldn’t find any in stock anywhere. It actually took 1.5 hours for the swap as they had to feed the propane line further, almost having to run all new line, as the propane attachment on the Dometic is located on the far side of the stove while the Suburban is on the near side to where the line comes through. Also curious of others’ experience. I’ve just submitted our receipts to Escape.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
A little disappointing though as I'd prefer to install my own.

But good to get a free replacement. Canadians will be reimbursed up to $120 CDN for the installation cost. I'm wondering what the dealer will charge and if it's worth phoning several to get quotes. I'd hate to pay more than what I'll be reimbursed for. Not that I think it should be anywhere near that allowance, it's a pretty simple job.
I completely agree, although I don't think of it as a free replacement. The hassle alone is... well ... a hassle. I still eventually plan on replacing it with a Dickenson when they finally start supplying them again but I want something that won't blow up in the mean time. Note that we have only used the stove twice in our two years of use (prefer to cook outside) and we have leaks even though I tightened the nuts on the valve.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Today I phoned the number on the recall notice. I was fully prepared to listen to a long voice mail choice of options concluding with a message to leave my number.

Yup, voice mail kicked in but said if I had the extension number I could enter it. I did and was then expecting the voice mail trail to kick in. I almost fell over when it rang and was answered in person. And not by a person obviously far away in another country. Pretty quick and efficient call even if they wouldn't send the replacement directly to me.

She asked me to send a photo of the specification sheet that's on the wall inside the closet and told me to have an RV shop contact them.

Checked the cost of installation only at North Shore RV and they said 1/2 hour, $75 CDN.

So far, so good.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Today I phoned the number on the recall notice. I was fully prepared to listen to a long voice mail choice of options concluding with a message to leave my number.

Yup, voice mail kicked in but said if I had the extension number I could enter it. I did and was then expecting the voice mail trail to kick in. I almost fell over when it rang and was answered in person. And not by a person obviously far away in another country. Pretty quick and efficient call even if they wouldn't send the replacement directly to me.

She asked me to send a photo of the specification sheet that's on the wall inside the closet and told me to have an RV shop contact them.

Checked the cost of installation only at North Shore RV and they said 1/2 hour, $75 CDN.

So far, so good.

Ron
refreshing to hear that. Hope it works out for you..
Old 06-20-2022, 08:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Now I've seen $75 CDN to $375 US...
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:56 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Now I've seen $75 CDN to $375 US...
You know the Canadians work a lot faster than the lower 48 people do.....
Old 06-21-2022, 10:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021
70 bucks in Iowa. Anyone take microwave out to take pic of underside of stovetop ?
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I took the drawer out next to the microwave & manipulated the phone into the space with the camera reversed. Took several photos, only 2 captured the serial numbers ��
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
Anyone take microwave out to take pic of underside of stovetop ?
Lifted the stove from the top given I have the convection oven underneath…. Found the bottom had fallen off and slid down next to the oven, couldn’t find it at first. Not sure how this cooktop was tested to determine it is vibration resistant….
bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:29 PM   #11

Will look at drawer option. Thx for the idea !

Kind regards,
Jv
Old 06-22-2022, 01:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Talked with 2 RV places, neither wanted the job and said their labor rate was $159.00 per hour. One said they didn't think the 3/4 hour allowance would be enough.
Doug King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:10 PM   #13

They are out of their mind.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:26 PM   #14

When Karl says 10 minutes, i believe him. Screw gun for 4 screws on top and gas connection underneath.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
I am running into some major frustration around addressing the issue of the SDS2 Suburban cooktop recall. I have this item in my 21C. I called Suburban to ask for their list of "authorized repair shops” near me (I live in Calgary, Alberta) but was told simply to Google RV repair shops and find one, so it seems they don’t have “authorized repair shops”. The first two places I called gave me the same answer: we don’t do warranty/recall work, we aren’t authorized by Suburban, take it to the dealer. Well, this is pretty useless so far!

Has anyone in or around Calgary found an RV repair place willing to exchange the cooktop? Or anyone near me willing to pretend to be an "authorized RV repair shop" to whom I could get Suburban to send the thing?
NoSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:17 PM   #16

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSOD View Post
Has anyone in or around Calgary found an RV repair place willing to exchange the cooktop? Or anyone near me willing to pretend to be an "authorized RV repair shop" to whom I could get Suburban to send the thing?
Just a thought, but have you tried Outback Trailers? I believe they offer repair services on all molded fiberglass trailers and sell Suburban parts.

They might be interested in performing a cooktop swap on an Escape.

My only exposure to them is via Slim Potatohead's Trillium rehab videos on YouTube.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
When Karl says 10 minutes, i believe him. Screw gun for 4 screws on top and gas connection underneath.
Which makes it even more irritating that Suburban wants it installed by a shop even though they refuse to pay for installation.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:42 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
https://suburbanrv.com/service-support/service-locator/
Old 06-22-2022, 05:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
My experience recently with Dometic led me to understand they have an avenue to use other qualified repair shops that do not have a formal relationship with them. They had me download a form for reimbursement and while I had to pay out of pocket for a covered repair they reimbursed me fairly quickly.

You might ask Suburban about this avenue, would be surprised if they too didn't have this route available.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:17 AM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Suburban's dealer locater didn't show the one I found, TimbuktuRV in Worcester, MA. They are an RV repair shop and store; don't sell new RVs. But they were able to get a recall cooktop replacement, and I have an appointment for 8 July.

The new-RV dealers showed didn't return calls when I asked about servicing the recall.