Stranded in Utah - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 04:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Stranded in Utah

OK. So I know this is an unusual situation, at least for us. But I’m pretty frustrated right now.

As I write this my son and daughter in law are camping in Utah in our Escape 19, being towed by my 2013 F150. Beautiful country, and a nice trip from Ohio over the last week.

Yesterday, near Kodachrome Basin the truck stopped running in the middle of the road showing a “wrench icon”. They were not towing at the time, and were able to re-start so they moved camp to their destination at Bryce.

Today he took the truck to the Bryce Canyon Sinclair & Auto Center. (The truck died again on the way there from the campground) After reading the diagnostics, the mechanic there found no history that indicated any problem. (No other suggestions. “Sorry but we can’t help you.”)

I was able to learn from the dealer here in Ohio that there is a recall or similar action…that may or may not be associated with this issue. We had one completed 12 months ago, but this one is newer, and somehow I missed it. Not the first time we have had this issue on the 2013 F150 Ecoboost. First time was towing the Escape on the West Virginia turnpike a few years ago. Very exciting.

Ken Garff Ford in St. George can get them in to look at the problem on September 10! But Cedar City Ford will help them on September 8! They go back to work on September 9, in Ohio. I tried to get some help from the dealer here in Ohio….like how to contact a Ford Motor Co. customer service rep in Utah, but they are not willing to help either. These companies all have very effective gatekeepers, and no interest in helping.

So…do they leave the truck and trailer in Utah and fly home? (don’t like that idea this year) Maybe rent a car. Or maybe limp home from stall to stall across the continent? The plan was to come across southern Colorado over Wolf Creek Pass. So what now?

Thanks for letting me vent. Not sure how to help at this point.
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
The one thing I would not do is try and limp it home in the current state. There are a lot of worse places to get stuck between southern UT and OH. Nevermind potential safety concerns with a stall at speed while towing.

Have they reached out to any other indy mechanics in St. George/Cedar City? I realize this may be related to a recall, but you don't know that for sure. Could be worth another try with a good shop.

Beyond that- could they (or one of them?) bump back the return to work by a handful of days, with the hope that a dealer would resolve it so they can hit the road?
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
https://www.f150ecoboost.net/threads...dicator.10378/

How to clean the throttle body here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/how-tos/...ight-on-561276
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
You refer to missing the most recent recall. Check to see if this is the one.

Recall Number
19V433000
Recall Date
06/10/2019
Component
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)
Summary
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2013 F-150 vehicles equipped with 5.0L or 6.2L gasoline engines, that previously had the powertrain control module (PCM) software reprogrammed under recall 19V-075. The software used to reprogram the PCM did not have the necessary updates to prevent the transmission from unexpectedly downshifting into first gear, regardless of vehicle speed.

Consequence
Unexpectedly downshifting into first gear may result in a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash.

If this is it, there is no way I would attempt to drive the truck any more than absolutely necessary.

Regrettably, I suspect that only Ford dealers do these recalls.

One option. Rent a truck and trailer/tow dolly and tow the truck home. Maybe the truck rental place would let you store the trailer for a future trip.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It's not, the user has a 3.5L Ecoboost.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2013 F-150 vehicles equipped with 5.0L or 6.2L gasoline engines, that previously had the powertrain control module (PCM) software reprogrammed under recall 19V-075.
He said it was the Eco-Boost which I believe is 3.5L.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'd look for a close by place to leave the trailer, unmanned, that's safe, for a couple weeks. Figure out step 2 after you find step 1.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:55 PM   #8

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
It's not, the user has a 3.5L Ecoboost.
Oops

Your right.

Sam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
When we got stranded in Utah with a broken down vehicle, we rented a Budget rental truck and towed it home. It was cheaper to do this than rent a car.

Even if they don’t tow the trailer home, it may be cheaper to rent a moving truck rather than a car. Gas of course would higher.

Moving trucks are expected to be one way rentals, cars normally end up with a high drop off charge for a one way rental.

Budget had excess trucks they needed to move out of state, so it was a good deal.

For real excitement, rent two trucks and bring everything home and camp on the way.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
If it were me I'd be calling other mechanics in Cedar City- 77 miles away and be discussing the Throttle Body. Sounds highly like that is the problem. If so probably wouldn't be more than $500 parts & labor. I'd be doing it myself as the part is only about $200 and doesn't sound too difficult to replace. Could try cleaning first- yet a few on the F150 Forum said that didn't work. Six year old truck, has evidently happened before....how many miles on it?
Old 08-24-2020, 06:56 PM   #11

Trailer: pending
Try https://www.uship.com/cost-to-ship/v...-vehicles-rvs/
It'll cost money, but you may save your jobs and after EVERYTHING may not be so expensive
Dee Lirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #12

I just looked at their online estimator Uship, Bryce to Toledo trailer AND truck on flatbed somewhere around $3500 according to them.
I have NOTHING to do with them, I live in Toronto.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
That’s odd. I checked Budget Trucks and since they only had the big 26 footers, they quoted $1,009 for truck and trailer from Cedar City. The smaller trucks were unavailable for August 26th. Maybe another date or location.
A nice thing about the trucks is they are 7 days, unlimited mileage. Cars are by the day.
I couldn’t find a Budget Car to rent for comparison.
UHaul is a lot more than Budget.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I have made a number of pretty long shots in my day. Missed some too. But I will tell you that Brian Auto parts and Service in Loa, Utah is a very fine repair shop with fair prices and excellent mechanics. They have a tow truck too. Call them. Describe your problem, trust them. If anybody can get you up and running it’s that shop. 1-435-836-2343. Let me know how you come out. And I’ll tell you how I know.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-24-2020, 08:15 PM   #15

Sheesh- and I thought I was throwing in the towel to suggest replacing the Throttle Body! To tow the truck home and leave the trailer has to be a last resort.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #16

Uship are contractors or something. They come along with an appropriate size truck, load up your tow vehicle and trailer and THEY drive it to you destination. Just putting it out there as an option and a way of comparing things to see what the costs are for various ways out of the predicament. Good luck ! google them
Old 08-24-2020, 08:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I have made a number of pretty long shots in my day. Missed some too. But I will tell you that Brian Auto parts and Service in Loa, Utah is a very fine repair shop with fair prices and excellent mechanics. They have a tow truck too. Call them. Describe your problem, trust them. If anybody can get you up and running it’s that shop. 1-435-836-2343. Let me know how you come out. And I’ll tell you how I know.
Iowa Dave
Well there you go- word of mouth, which to me is very valuable. Only thing to consider logistically : can you rent a car to return to Bryce if needed during diagnostics and waiting for parts? Or will they host you
Old 08-24-2020, 08:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
If it were I, I’d driven into A Utah Ford dealer service lane and refuse to leave until they fix it. Tell them you’re a Mormon In distress (I am ... not in distress) and demand service.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You can rent cars in most of those towns at used car dealerships. I rented one in Richfield. The cows in Mr Brian’s pasture are friendly and stinky. The pasture is level enough to set up a fold down trailer. They have a good rodeo there in Loa. I learned how to brand cows there with a D ring, a mesquite fire, and two sticks. Do not eat the soup in the buffet restaurant in Panguich Utah. Good luck
Iowa Dave
Old 08-24-2020, 08:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Turns out that the intrepid travelers were able to talk to the service dept at the Ford dealer in Mesquite NV. He said, " bring it over, and we will get you in and solve the problem. I know what it is". (Don't you love it when you finally find the right person?)

I think it is likely to be the throttle valve body once AGAIN. The Transmission Lead Frame issue seems to cause a sudden downshifting, which is a problem we have not had...yet. Its not a recall, but a extended warranty issue. We did take care of the other transmission recall last year.

I guess the thing that surprised me was the standard rote answers we got from people in service departments who were not willing to even talk about helping someone from out of town. ( I'm hoping when people field calls like this its just a training problem... )

Praying that they make it safely without too many difficulties, and then are able to find a little downtime in the desert and mountains before they have to head back to work.
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote