Strategic Partner - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I spoke to Reace in August when I was at the factory about what I wanted in a trailer. Comfortable seating! I told him about the Bigfoot Silver Cloud and it has an actual living room. But I further wanted it built with unobtainium metal and wood, because the Silver Cloud is too dang heavy. It's not the larger size that's my concern, it's the weight. I don't care to tow anything that requires a one-ton truck.

Being the polite guy he is, he actually listened to what I was saying....

Jim, the Silver Cloud has front twin beds! AND a dry bath.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Jim, the Silver Cloud has front twin beds! AND a dry bath.
While this is a very impressive trailer in it's own right, it is not towable with an 1/2 ton being a bit too big and heavy, and almost impossible to find.

A lighter Escape version of the Bigfoot 25 rear twin would not be too bad.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
The other thing that I noticed is that the company also changed its name to Escape Trailer Industries LP and realized something was up and then when the calendar arrived with the comment about taking on a strategic partner partner realized that these guys had bought in some outside financing to either free up some cash for Tammy and Reace towards a well earned retirement exit plan or maybe as part of the financing for their expansion of their premises or a combination of both.

They went from a one building operation three years ago to a three building operation and probably have more than doubled their production in a relatively short space of time. This sort of thing does take it out of small business owners and although they have the ideas, may not necessarily have the business skills to run an operation that's probably now close to C$20 million a year in turnover. In those situations, it makes sense to bring in someone that can manage the business and still produce good quality products with a loyal following rather than let a good business flounder. Good for them in realizing that and pave a way forward rather than go the other way.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #24

Trailer: ?
My ouija board is saying that at the May Customer Appreciation Rally, Tammy and Rease will make their final bow and the new boss will be introduced.
That leaves sufficient time for an orderly transition from old to new.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm thinking they may still be involved, both are too young for retirement and I'm sure there is a covenant not to compete, so outside ventures would be limited.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #26

Trailer: ?
Either way, if I were on the fense about buying an Escape, I would get the contract signed now.

Prices have nowhere to go but up and as others have speculated, customization is likely to go down.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #27

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Either way, if I were on the fense about buying an Escape, I would get the contract signed now.

Prices have nowhere to go but up and as others have speculated, customization is likely to go down.

Ed

Wish I were ready to buy now but can't swing it financially at this time. I really do hope this news means good things for Escape, and I also hope they don't raise prices too much and price themselves out of their market, much like Hi-Lo did (my former trailer). Hi-Lo had been around for 50 years before folding in 2010. Of course, the US economic downturn didn't help any!
Old 12-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
edcolorado, if you are correct, i am glad that the new partner will see the value of the devoted following at the gathering. unless he/she makes him/herself scarce i hope they are prepared for an earful of stories of more than satisfied customers.

that said, i am very glad i got my 17 when i did, exactly the way i wanted it. i'm a happy camper.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #29

I remember when Tammy and Reace talked about the early days at one of the rallies, they were struggling and eating spaghetti with ketchup back then.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The speculation here is as interesting as the topic.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Old days

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I remember when Tammy and Reace talked about the early days at one of the rallies, they were struggling and eating spaghetti with ketchup back then.
Hey Jim,
My mom told me that during the depression people would go into a diner and order a pine float. The kindly waitress would bring them a cup of hot water and a toothpick. They stirred in ketchup that was setting in front of them at the counter and dropped the toothpick in the mixture. Pine float.
Those people had it truly tough and were America’s greatest generation. Sadly most are gone now. What are you hoping Sandy Claws brings you for being a good boy?
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #32

Here is hoping the next 5 months fly by.....
Old 12-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
In my younger days I often ate ketchup soup & wiener water soup and not by choice
As far as ETI , I don’t have a dog in that fight and I have no stake in the outcome.
Businesses open , close , change ownership / management everyday , still life goes on
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:03 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hey Jim,
My mom told me that during the depression people would go into a diner and order a pine float. The kindly waitress would bring them a cup of hot water and a toothpick. They stirred in ketchup that was setting in front of them at the counter and dropped the toothpick in the mixture. Pine float.
Those people had it truly tough and were America’s greatest generation. Sadly most are gone now. What are you hoping Sandy Claws brings you for being a good boy?
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... I thought everybody knows "There is no Sanity Clause"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #35

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Well, it was good while it lasted. I wondered if something like this would happen. You can't be in business, particularly a very good business, today without somebody wanting a piece of the action. You can sugar coat it all you want but things are going to change and, I fear, not always for the better. You can bet that this management firm is all about profit and we all know where "customer service" is these days. This new outfit is out to make money, full stop. The days of telling them what you want in a trailer, phoning them for help solving a problem, and, dare I say it, the Customer Appreciation Rally are soon going to be things of the past. If it doesn't make money, it ain't going to happen. Sounds like ETI has been afflicted with the MBA disease.

Although I'm not happy about this change, I don't blame Tammy and Reace for doing this. Running a business is difficult but running it the way they did, i.e. putting their customers first, takes a lot out of you. I wish Tammy and Reace all the best for their futures. We are sooooo very glad we got our 19 when we did.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:19 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
Well, it was good while it lasted. I wondered if something like this would happen. You can't be in business, particularly a very good business, today without somebody wanting a piece of the action. You can sugar coat it all you want but things are going to change and, I fear, not always for the better. You can bet that this management firm is all about profit and we all know where "customer service" is these days. This new outfit is out to make money, full stop. The days of telling them what you want in a trailer, phoning them for help solving a problem, and, dare I say it, the Customer Appreciation Rally are soon going to be things of the past. If it doesn't make money, it ain't going to happen. Sounds like ETI has been afflicted with the MBA disease.

Although I'm not happy about this change, I don't blame Tammy and Reace for doing this. Running a business is difficult but running it the way they did, i.e. putting their customers first, takes a lot out of you. I wish Tammy and Reace all the best for their futures. We are sooooo very glad we got our 19 when we did.

Doug
Hi: NuthatchBC... Sums up my feelings too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, I foresee a time when climate change will force legislators to pass laws banning sales of RVs and that there will be no forests, so no Forest Service sites and the rising cost of barley will effectively stop the production of beer.

I'm not certain exactly when ETI sold but deal was finalized about five months ago. Northern Lite was purchased well before that and continues to produce a five-star four-season truck camper.

Nobody calls me "Sunshine" but, I don't see the clouds that some here do.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #38

It is interesting to see this progression with Escape. I always thought that they should offer stock to the company with purchase of their trailer. That is the way I acquired my Harley Davidson stock. That way they could raise capital and the stockholders would benefit from its growth. But rather than internally raising capital , they gave up some control to an outside investor, basically a REIT as we call it, Real Estate Investment Trust that has money available to obtain a return.. The ad is from a headhunters organization which means a tidy premium and also indicate that the REIT does not have an internal knowledge of rv's other than via investment. The president would work with Tammy the sales and Reace the production managers to insure that budgets and sales goals are on track. Having myself worked with Fortune 500 companies and their books and records anyone with a MBA could qualify, but having that extra Reace knowledge would require someone who is familiar with rving and camping and how to build a better camper, something a head hunter company will not find via normal channels. I would hope that some personnel from the REIT attends the rally and tastes the kool aid we all have done. Perhaps a committee of owners could be an advisory panel to help in the future as well as insure that an owner would benefit from some proposed changes. Something I hope to see in the future, either here on the forum or elsewhere.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Today I'm going to feel the sunshine and look at pictures of puppies. Right now, everything is just opinions and speculation. ETI isn't falling off a cliff and neither will prospective buyers OR current trailer owners. I don't see the new strategic partners as money grubbers either. I do 'see' an increase in production and perhaps a different/increase pipeline for buyers in the works. Who knows what 'options' will no longer be offered? The shadow knows....

Since ETI still has the molds for the 13' and the 15' perhaps, just perhaps, these might go back into production.

None of us know anything until we're told.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
The days of telling them what you want in a trailer, phoning them for help solving a problem, and, dare I say it, the Customer Appreciation Rally are soon going to be things of the past. If it doesn't make money, it ain't going to happen.

These are the things that contributed to the success of ETI, so you just blew your own argument.