Sumas pickup - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2021, 10:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021
Sumas pickup

Hello, picking up 21ne in Sumas on April 15, besides tow vehicle what does one need to bring along ? Does Escape provide parting gifts ?

Thanks everyone !
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
Hello, picking up 21ne in Sumas on April 15, besides tow vehicle what does one need to bring along ?
Look at Escape's 'Starter Kit' for an idea of RV basic items.

Other than that you'll need kitchen items, toilet paper, grooming items, bedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
Does Escape provide parting gifts ?
Multi-bit screwdriver and key lanyards.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:27 AM   #3

Trailer: ?
Before you drink any water from the fresh water system you will want to sanitize it, so bring some drinking water with you.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Look at Escape's 'Starter Kit' for an idea of RV basic items.

Other than that you'll need kitchen items, toilet paper, grooming items, bedding.

Multi-bit screwdriver and key lanyards.
We will be asking this same question in a few months. So, I thought I should clarify the point about the starter kit. I have not come across anything called Starter Kit in my order sheet or otherwise on the Escape site. There are some optional items that can be added to the build sheet by the customer:
  • Filled Propane Tanks
  • Water Hose - Planning to buy our own - Camco? Another?
  • Water Pressure Regulator
  • X - Chocks - Planning to buy Fastway ONESTEP chocks (suggested by Tom? on the board)
  • Extendable Wall Mount TV Arm (For 15" - 22" TVs)
  • Leveling Blocks (Set of 10)
  • Sewer Tube Kit (includes adapter)
  • Sewer Tube Adapter
  • Additional sewer tube holder (for storage purposes)
  • Sand Pads (set of 2)
  • Step Cover
  • Vented Trailer Cover
We took some (bolded) but not all. Other than that, I did not find any reference to a starter's kit.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
We will be asking this same question in a few months. So, I thought I should clarify the point about the starter kit. I have not come across anything called Starter Kit in my order sheet or otherwise on the Escape site. There are some optional items that can be added to the build sheet by the customer:
  • Filled Propane Tanks
  • Water Hose - Planning to buy our own - Camco? Another?
  • Water Pressure Regulator
  • X - Chocks - Planning to buy Fastway ONESTEP chocks (suggested by Tom? on the board)
  • Extendable Wall Mount TV Arm (For 15" - 22" TVs)
  • Leveling Blocks (Set of 10)
  • Sewer Tube Kit (includes adapter)
  • Sewer Tube Adapter
  • Additional sewer tube holder (for storage purposes)
  • Sand Pads (set of 2)
  • Step Cover
  • Vented Trailer Cover
We took some (bolded) but not all. Other than that, I did not find any reference to a starter's kit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Escape Starter Kit.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	53556

Starter Kit Includes - Toilet Tissue x 4 rolls, 1L Toilet Chemical, Large Latex Gloves x 10 Pairs, 25' Water Hose, City Water Pressure Regulator, Tandem Chocks x 2, Filled Propane Tanks x 2, Hitch Lock.

X-Chock Upgrade - Tandem Chocks replaced with X-Chocks
Old 02-01-2021, 11:25 AM   #6

Quote:
[*] X - Chocks - Planning to buy Fastway ONESTEP chocks (suggested by Tom? on the board)
The X-Chocks are supposed to both stabilize and chock the trailer. The biggest advantage to the X-Chocks IMO is they are lockable. After tightening the chock, you can put a padlock in one of the holes in the top ring, which prevents it from being loosened.

Image Source: Rock Steady: How to Level, Chock, and Stabilize a Travel Trailer

Could a determined thief get by it of course, that's true with any lock. The goal is to make a thief look for an easier target.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #7

@TTMartin - Thank you so much for the detail! We will add the X-Chocks back on... I have concerned about the possibility of overtightening and creating stress on the axles...

I did not know that theft of the trailer might be a concern. Seems like a complicated thing to steal. Do people run into theft often? That said, we will be in boondocking situations and campgrounds. Not often but sometimes near the population centers...
Old 02-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #8

Quote:
I have concerned about the possibility of overtightening and creating stress on the axles...
The entire weight of the trailer is on the wheels. Yes I realize it's not pressure in the designed direction. But, I think you'd have to do some serious gorilla torque to damage them.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:29 PM   #9

Thanks! Good point...
Old 02-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
I did not know that theft of the trailer might be a concern. Seems like a complicated thing to steal. Do people run into theft often? That said, we will be in boondocking situations and campgrounds. Not often but sometimes near the population centers...
Yes, I've had something minor stolen at a campground in Yellowstone (2018), and at Yosemite (2019). When I was making the report at Yellowstone, the Ranger said that they had people come in and completely pack up and steal an entire campsite on more than one occasion.

This article concludes it is not real common. But, recommends taking precautions just the same.

RV Theft Statistics – Stolen Trailers a Common Problem?
Old 02-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Yes, I've had something minor stolen at a campground in Yellowstone (2018), and at Yosemite (2019). When I was making the report at Yellowstone, the Ranger said that they had people come in and completely pack up and steal an entire campsite on more than one occasion.

This article concludes it is not real common. But, recommends taking precautions just the same.

RV Theft Statistics – Stolen Trailers a Common Problem?

Thank you so much for sharing this concern and article. Some amount to process... The strategies the author suggested that seems good are:
  • X-chock locks: The picture you shared clarifies this function. I do think that someone with a hammer can knock that x-chock right out, but what do I know.
  • King pin lock - This seems like a very good idea. I have bookmarked the https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc..._t1_B07Q59QPZF. I am unclear about the installation, but seems like it would do the trick.
  • GPS Tracker - Maybe I need to read those threads afterall
Thanks again!
Old 02-02-2021, 04:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I would also bring a torque wrench to torque the lug nuts. You will need to do that on the way home. I did mine twice.

I would also make reservations at the Lyden KOA so you know where you are spending the first night. It is 13 miles away and quite nice. When I picked ours up last May, it was quite a relief to know where i would be spending the first few nights so I could get to know the camper.

I got LOTS of comments all along the way home from other campers.

When you get home, make an appointment to get the trailer brakes adjusted. it cost money but it will save your tires. Just do it.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote