Summer survey camping job? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Summer survey camping job?

Got this in email. Sounds like a fun opportunity for someone.

Quote:
Interested in a volunteer position where you camp at a different Washington state park each week, circling the eastern half of our beautiful state and talking with visitors from around the world?

We are looking for a survey host or hosts to conduct visitor surveys this summer in eastern Washington. Over the nine week period, you would camp in nine state parks and visit up to 20 as part of this unique volunteer position. Volunteer duties include:

Surveying visitors using iPads and survey software (training and equipment will be provided)
Training other survey takers on how to survey visitors
Recording basic field notes and briefing park staff on surveying activities
Time Commitment: At least 20 hours per week from June 5, 2018 to August 8, 2018, with an additional 1 to 3 hours travel time between weekly rotations depending on the distance to the next park area. In the event of an unplanned park closure due to weather conditions or other events outside our control, this volunteer position may be extended for an additional week.

Requirements:

Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to pass a criminal background check
Strong social skills and ability to approach park visitors regarding the survey.
Ability to provide instructions one-on-one and to small groups
Basic understanding of computers and ability to record field observations through writing and photos.
RV space provided and up to $1,500 in mileage reimbursement. Must provide own RV with enough space to transport approximately two boxes of survey equipment.

Interested? Please send a letter of interest to Darleen Muhly at Darleen.muhly@parks.wa.gov by April 30 letting us know how you meet the qualifications for this volunteer position.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Interesting. I'm retiring this coming Friday......just not sure I could cut loose from Seattle by June 5th.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hosting

It’s common for me to strike up a conversation with camp hosts, survey takers, summer college employees and others in the camping operation wherever I go. Interesting to me is that the folks who
seem to be enjoying their experience most are those who are either transient ( like survey takers) or folks who have worked several parks and settled on the current location as the “best park in the system”. Sour personalities are usually not there the next time I come through. In one park in western Iowa had a campground maintenance shed named for a long time host and a plaque explaining his experience. The State of Michigan has an interesting matrix showing camp host openings. I’ve been in many of their parks. Some of them I’d say about myself surviving there “ain’t no way” and others especially in the UP “that would be for me” good scenery, local support facilities, and very few people day to day.
But for now. It’s “nice place to visit and on our way after a few days.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Rick, congratulations on your upcoming retirement!

I am almost 7 years retired and I have NO idea where that time has gone. I love being able to take off at the drop of a hat, whether to fly to my grandchildren in southern California or leave home and camp for a couple nights/weeks/months.

Best wishes for many years of fun ahead.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Rick, congratulations on your upcoming retirement!

I am almost 7 years retired and I have NO idea where that time has gone. I love being able to take off at the drop of a hat, whether to fly to my grandchildren in southern California or leave home and camp for a couple nights/weeks/months.

Best wishes for many years of fun ahead.
Thanks! I'll tell you...in ten years of having this job I've never been as busy as the past several weeks after I gave my notice. Didn't know it was this hard to get out of a job. And the reality of being free has not quite sunk in yet given I have a week left. Probably won't sink in until a week from this Monday when I can sit and enjoy my coffee and not be on a bus into work. And shortly after that I'll be jamming to pack and get on the road......