Sunbrella Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2022, 10:09 AM   #1

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Sunbrella Question

We have read of Escapees using Sunbrella and decided we really like their Glimpse Cloud color.

Two questions:
1) Why is Sunbrella a good fabric?
2) Is there a special version of Sunbrella to use?

Again, thanks to all the Escapees for posting photos to help us on our way! 9 more months to go!!!!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Can't tell you why Sunbrella is a good fabric, it just is.

Look at any marina. You'll see boats with sunbrella sail covers and bimini's etc. that sit out in a harsh environment year after year and don't fall apart. They might start to look ratty from fall out and bird droppings but the fabric remains in good condition.

I believe there are a couple of different weights. Google is your friend.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Sunbrella's primary attribute is UV resistance. Escape's chosen stock fabrics are generally more durable per their double rub ratings. That is not to imply that Sunbrella fabrics won't hold up well. Many trailers out there are sporting Sunbrella cushions with no complaints.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
Sunbrella's primary attribute is UV resistance. Escape's chosen stock fabrics are generally more durable per their double rub ratings. That is not to imply that Sunbrella fabrics won't hold up well. Many trailers out there are sporting Sunbrella cushions with no complaints.
Where would I find the double rub ratings info? I've never heard that phrase before.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Why we picked Sunbrella for our custom fabric:

Before retirement, I was the fire prevention engineer for a metropolitan fire dept. prevention bureau. One of my tasks was to review fabrics used in tents, awnings, and canopies on commercial structures, for their fire resistance properties, in compliance with the State Fire Code. Perhaps 99% of the commercial vendors used Sunbrella. Upon inquiry in conversations at meetings, I found that it was the UV and weather and physical durability of the Sunbrella fabrics that were their primary reasons for choosing Sunbrella.
So, when I found that Sunbrella upholstery fabric was a choice for our Escape, it was an easy decision.
And, as Ron in BC points out, it is far and away the top choice in the marine environment.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I have purchased some items from Sailrite in Columbia City Indiana. They have a couple real nice catalogs and a good Website. The customer service person helped me with my choices.
They sell Sunbrella fabric. And just about everything associated with fabric and hardware attachment. Good people.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-21-2022, 04:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I have purchased some items from Sailrite in Columbia City Indiana. They have a couple real nice catalogs and a good Website. The customer service person helped me with my choices.
They sell Sunbrella fabric. And just about everything associated with fabric and hardware attachment. Good people.
Iowa Dave
Sail rite is where I ordered my Sunbrella fabric for my 21C. Nice people great selection and they drop ship directly to Escape.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 E19
As far as the double rub ratings, when I've looked at upholstery fabric store listings (Joann fabrics website for example), the ones listed specifically for upholstery will often say "20,000 rubs" or 50,000 or "100,000 rubs", whatever the fabric's rated for. Those numbers are double rubs, the industry standard I guess.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:17 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for your feedback!
Old 01-22-2022, 08:05 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Doesn't window glass block UV light?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I think so but with a small human child like dog the water/stain resistance seems like a good thing.

By the way, our dog is not spoiled.
Attached Thumbnails
E80BDAA7-396A-48BD-AF03-2DDA2A48F49Fa.jpg  
Old 01-22-2022, 08:34 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
No, it may defuse it but doesn't block it. It will rot drapery and fade upholstery.

Perhaps there's some special window glass or coating, but not in an ETI built trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No, it may defuse it but doesn't block it. It will rot drapery and fade upholstery.

Perhaps there's some special window glass or coating, but not in an ETI built trailer.
Did you fix my sideways photo? If so, thank you!
Old 01-22-2022, 09:45 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Did you fix my sideways photo? If so, thank you!
Yes, glad to help
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Where would I find the double rub ratings info? I've never heard that phrase before.
From the interweb:

"If you are shopping for upholstery fabric the words ‘double rub’ will keep popping up. Simply put, this is a method for testing the ability of a fabric to withstand wear from abrasion. The test which uses double rubs is called the Wyzenbeek Test or method. This is a mechanized method that involves rubbing a piece of cotton duck on the test fabric. Each back and forth motion of the mechanical arm is called a double rub. This mimics the action of sitting down and getting up, the two actions where fabrics are likely to rub against each other. The double rubs are done in sets of 5,000 until the test fabric shows signs of wear or 2 yarns break. A notable change in color and pile are also noted. Typically, 3,000 double rubs are estimated to be one year’s use."

You can find it on the manufacturer's or distributor's websites. I believe all of Escape's standard fabrics are purchased from Ennis. You can go to Ennis' site and search by the name. I have Chinchilla Ultra Leather which can be found as Turner 6009 Chinchilla with a double rub of 500,000, which appears to be quite high. A Sunbrella fabric I liked is named Ascend Oasis and is rated at 15,000 double rubs. I'm pretty sure that Sunbrella fabric would hold up for many years in our trailer as we don't use it every day
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:03 PM   #16

Thanks for the understanding Sherminator!

The Sunbrella Glimpse Cloud we are looking to use has 49,000 Double Rubs.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:13 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Cushion Fabric

The stock Escape fabric on our 19 looked like new after 8 years and living in it for 4 to 5 monrhs at a time. We could wash them once a season and air dry them. We stuck with the standard fabric on our 21c because of its durability. We lived on boats sailboats for 26 years and appreciated Sunbrella but did not find it to wear as good as the Escape stock fabric and we used two different weights of Sunbrella. We did like the color choices, however.
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinkledavid@gmail.com View Post
The stock Escape fabric on our 19 looked like new after 8 years and living in it for 4 to 5 monrhs at a time. We could wash them once a season and air dry them. We stuck with the standard fabric on our 21c because of its durability. We lived on boats sailboats for 26 years and appreciated Sunbrella but did not find it to wear as good as the Escape stock fabric and we used two different weights of Sunbrella. We did like the color choices, however.
I've since looked at the stock fabric "double rub" ratings and the Summit Ash is quite good. Double that of the Sunbrella we were considering.

Looks like we might be heading down that road now.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:03 PM   #19

Trailer: None
Sunbrella is primarily used on the exterior of boats, although some do use it in the interior. I know of no good alternative for sail covers, biminis, etc. However I caution against over-weighting durability in the choice for an interior fabric. When I built my cruising sailboat I learned that "contract nylon" was extremely durable so I went with that (it is the almost-burlap thick weave fabric used on office chairs, which meets a federal contract standard). It was miserable: it stretched, pilled, and was not comfortable on bare skin (lots of shorts and swim suits on a boat). When I re-upholstered I went with Alcantara, the fabric used in very expensive cars (Lamborghini, etc). It is very similar to UltraSuede, from the same company IIRC. The fabric is stable (no stretching or pilling), is very comfortable, not slippery (important on a sailboat), and highly resistant to stains (cleaning is usually very easy). And it wears extremely well (I live aboard so it gets a lot of use). I've had it for about 15 years, including the trip back from Turkey and years cruising. I wouldn't buy anything else.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote