Surge protector options - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineMcD View Post
Thanks Ranger
My query is I already own a generator with inverter and not sure I need another inverter but definitely want solar prewired
Much food for thought
We have solar, inverter and EMS. We regularly dry camp, either overnight stops traveling or sites without electricity.
EMS simplifies our life when using hookups.
Solar was a decision for us also, but it is one of the best decisions we made, it is great to have juice going into the batteries.
Inverter - we have and use regularly. Colleen works in the trailer with dual monitors etc. Even if not we would keep it, great for Instant Pot, hair dryer, toaster and more.
Reading your posts and considering you're doing a lot of boon docking I'd say get the solar, forget the inverter, and most posters seem to favor the EMS.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, agreed, Solar and EMS are priority, inverters are not.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yep, you can camp just like tenters have done forever and continue to do. OR, after spending thousands of dollars on a trailer, you can use it as designed with all the comforts. Neither is wrong. But I gave up tent camping for a reason. YMMV
My thoughts exactly, I enjoy toasted bread in the morning and there’s nothing like a frozen smoothie after a hard summer bike ride…. Will not work without the Inverter.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:51 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1112 View Post
..... Secured the unit to the pedestal with an 8mm Master Python Lock No. 8419DPF 6ft Python® Adjustable Locking Cable, Yellow Black, Keyed Different which worked perfectly.
just note, those Master locks can be opened with in seconds with no talent required.

pretty much ALL Master locks are junk.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I bought a relatively cheap bulldog surge suppressor. It’s Bluetooth monitored to an ap. It was cheap enough that I don’t worry about it being stolen. Works just fine.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:10 AM   #26

Trailer: 2024 Escape 21C
Because you have a choice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I can not understand why some campers choose inverters to make coffee? But the inverter is an expensive option when you already have a choice?
And an inverter can do more than just power a coffee pot...
W@nderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 06:55 PM   #27

Trailer: 2024 5.0 TA on order
Old thread but here’s a story about why we have a Progressive Industries EMS surge protector, fwiw. There’s been a few times now that we have been fishing at resorts in the 100 Mile area of BC. Our EMS shut our power off on different occasions because the power was fluctuating so much. The power seemed to be fine at night but during the day it was all over the place. The resort owners blamed it on the line power, which it likely was. The acquaintances we travelled with didn’t have any surge protection. Walking around the campgrounds (I know a lot of people have the on-board hardwired EMS protectors) but we seldom see anyone running surge devices at the power post. We opted for the ‘off-board’ style as I saw an onboard EMS that took an electrical hit. It was toasted, to the point that it was lucky the trailer didn’t catch fire. Maybe a once in a lifetime situation but it was worth remembering.
Al Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 06:51 AM   #28

Trailer: 21
The progressive EMS is a must. It saved our trailer electronics a few yrs ago when a massive electrical storm blew thru. It took the surge as it’s supposed n fried itself. I called progressive and they had me do a few things while on the phone. They agreed it was toast and sent out us a new one free of charge and received it the next day. Took about 15 minutes to changed it out. So it’s money well spent in my opinion.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:18 AM   #29

Trailer: 2024 5.0 TA on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
The progressive EMS is a must. It saved our trailer electronics a few yrs ago when a massive electrical storm blew thru. It took the surge as it’s supposed n fried itself. I called progressive and they had me do a few things while on the phone. They agreed it was toast and sent out us a new one free of charge and received it the next day. Took about 15 minutes to changed it out. So it’s money well spent in my opinion.
Yes, Progressive is one of the last remaining companies that really seems to look after people and they have great products. Glad they looked after you quickly.
Al Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 05:21 PM   #30

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Get the EMS for safety

Recommend always getting the built-in EMS. The ETI one is UL listed, and it complies with the new National Electric Code requirement for all RVs. There have been too many RV-related deaths and fires that the EMS could have prevented.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 11:12 PM   #31

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
If you can do the electrical work you can save yourself some money as I did by buying the Progressive EMS unit and installing it yourself. A lot cheaper than the price that ETI sells it to you for.

I mounted my EMS in the back corner where the shore power just comes into the trailer and the display unit is mounted on the side of the trailer inside the back hatch. Worked out great and saved some cash.
These are great units.

I'm currently adding my own 30amp sub panel, transfer switch, and inverter. All is mounted in, just need to finish the last wire hook ups. I saved on this setup as well.

Cheers to ya..... and Happy Trails.....Jack
jack sparrow is online now   Reply With Quote