Surge protector options - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
Posts: 96
Surge protector options

Hello all
Well if all goes well we should have a deposit on our new 2020 escape 19 by next Saturday

Hoping you can help with our surge protector inquiry
We plan on doing alot of boon docking and we already have a quiet inverter generator 2400 watt Yamaha. We do also want to do provincial parks within canada and the USA.. If we get the built in surge protector from Escape will it create issues with our generator or are we better off getting a portable surge protector. If portable is better option then would we get a 50 or 30 amp

Also wondering if inverter with transfer switch to all plugs Can be added after as we are not sure we will require solar but we are getting trailer prewired for it just incase

Any advise is appreciated
Cheers
Christine
__________________

ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Danbury, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Posts: 3,033
If the majority of your camping is boondocking or at National Parks without hookups , I would purchase the factory solar and skip the EMS ,

We have the factory solar ,EMS and full inverter . In the two years we have owned our Escape solar is the only one of the three that we ever use .
__________________

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #3
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 2,746
inverter and solar are two completely separate things. one discharges your battery, the other charges it

if you boondock, I definitely would get the factory solar setup. we don't use much in the way of electrical appliances when we camp, so we've little use of the inverter, I do have a small 300W peak inverter that we use to charge my wife's laptop, and such things.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:18 PM   #4
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 23,572
I had the portable EMS and found some cg power pedestal were to close to the ground to use and there is always the leave behind issue. You can make a generator bypass plug or just turn the EMS off while on generator, but either way the built in EMS is much more convenient and less problems.
__________________
Jim
What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals....
Goethe
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
75thRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Sarita, Texas
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Posts: 518
The inverter was a bit of an iffy add on for me but I'm really glad I got it now. Most CG's have non electric sites as well as electric and I usually go that way(less $). I make my coffee, toast etc using the inverter.

Never a doubt about ordering the solar. No brainer!
__________________
Why have I never heard of a 'Physic' winning the lottery?
75thRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #6
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 23,572
I can not understand why some campers choose inverters to make coffee? I assume most of us started out tent camping and cooking over the fire or using a camp stove, I still use my coffee pots from those days to make my coffee in the am on the stove in the camper or on the stove outside. But the inverter is an expensive option when you already have a choice?
__________________
Jim
What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals....
Goethe
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:18 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If the majority of your camping is boondocking or at National Parks without hookups , I would purchase the factory solar and skip the EMS ,

We have the factory solar ,EMS and full inverter . In the two years we have owned our Escape solar is the only one of the three that we ever use .
Thanks Steve
We have just dry camped for 2 years building our cottage snd basically survived on generator alone so solar is new to us. Would you suggest solar without the inverter. We are pretty basic campers Who do not require a Tv and such , I basically would use power for lights ...hate the thought of paying for something I will never use
ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:24 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
inverter and solar are two completely separate things. one discharges your battery, the other charges it

if you boondock, I definitely would get the factory solar setup. we don't use much in the way of electrical appliances when we camp, so we've little use of the inverter, I do have a small 300W peak inverter that we use to charge my wife's laptop, and such things.
Hey John
Thanks for your reply
We had planned on travelling with generator anyhow and that has an inverter built in. We do not watch tv or such so only use battery power for lights and water pump. I know I wanted to get solar prewired but did not know if solar or inverter with transfer would be used.... sounds like I should pass
ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:27 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had the portable EMS and found some cg power pedestal were to close to the ground to use and there is always the leave behind issue. You can make a generator bypass plug or just turn the EMS off while on generator, but either way the built in EMS is much more convenient and less problems.
Thanks for your reply cp
You make very good points about the benefits of s built in surge protector
And I can just shut off when using generator
ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
The inverter was a bit of an iffy add on for me but I'm really glad I got it now. Most CG's have non electric sites as well as electric and I usually go that way(less $). I make my coffee, toast etc using the inverter.

Never a doubt about ordering the solar. No brainer!
Thanks Ranger
My query is I already own a generator with inverter and not sure I need another inverter but definitely want solar prewired
Much food for thought
ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:34 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I can not understand why some campers choose inverters to make coffee? I assume most of us started out tent camping and cooking over the fire or using a camp stove, I still use my coffee pots from those days to make my coffee in the am on the stove in the camper or on the stove outside. But the inverter is an expensive option when you already have a choice?
Yes that is exactly my thoughts, we also boil water for tea or coffee on stove and even cook meals on an open fire... think the inverter will be wasted on us
ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineMcD View Post
Hoping you can help with our surge protector inquiry
We plan on doing alot of boon docking and we already have a quiet inverter generator 2400 watt Yamaha. We do also want to do provincial parks within canada and the USA.. If we get the built in surge protector from Escape will it create issues with our generator or are we better off getting a portable surge protector. If portable is better option then would we get a 50 or 30 amp
Escape calling it a surge protector is really a misnomer. It is an electrical management system (EMS). It has many features to help protect your trailer whenever plugged into shore power or even running on a generator. In my view it is a worthwhile investment.
Escape uses the Progressive Industries HW30C with features that can be found here:
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c
Your generator should be fine but it is worthwhile to note that the Yamaha EF2000iS should not be run with the EMS according to Progressive Industries:
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/disclaimer

When running on the generator you can simply use a pre-wired neutral bonding plug in one of the gen outlets and it should run fine by avoiding the open ground “E2” fault that would otherwise occur on the EMS.
https://www.microair.net/products/ge...12272654155860
https://www.campingworld.com/portabl...ug-118090.html
You can bypass the EMS with a switch but then you lose all the features except surge protection so it kind of defeats the purpose.

All Escape trailers are 30A so the permanent or portable styles you would want would be 30A.
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Escape calling it a surge protector is really a misnomer. It is an electrical management system (EMS). It has many features to help protect your trailer whenever plugged into shore power or even running on a generator. In my view it is a worthwhile investment.
Escape uses the Progressive Industries HW30C with features that can be found here:
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c
Your generator should be fine but it is worthwhile to note that the Yamaha EF2000iS should not be run with the EMS according to Progressive Industries:
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/disclaimer

When running on the generator you can simply use a pre-wired neutral bonding plug in one of the gen outlets and it should run fine by avoiding the open ground “E2” fault that would otherwise occur on the EMS.
https://www.microair.net/products/ge...12272654155860
https://www.campingworld.com/portabl...ug-118090.html
You can bypass the EMS with a switch but then you lose all the features except surge protection so it kind of defeats the purpose.

All Escape trailers are 30A so the permanent or portable styles you would want would be 30A.
Thanks so much Rubicon
Our last trailer was a Rubicon toyhauler... great name
You are a wealth of info... ty, i guess we will pass on inverter and go for built in surge protector plus
Hoping my hubby can figure out the pre wired bonding plug
ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineMcD View Post
We had planned on travelling with generator anyhow and that has an inverter built in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineMcD View Post
My query is I already own a generator with inverter and not sure I need another inverter but definitely want solar prewired
An inverter generator has nothing to do with the internal inverter. An inverter generator electronically throttles the engine up and down to meet demand instead of running full out all the time. It inherently delivers 120 VAC. True inverters installed wired to the batteries provide conversion of 12 VDC power to 120 VAC.
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:24 PM   #15
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 2,746
i stopped carrying my 2000VA inverter/generator, solar has provided all the power I could possibly need. I use propane (or a jetboil) for making coffee, we cook with the gas stove and oven...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #16
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 23,572
Christine,
Your entire Escape can operate off 12v and propane. Propane for the furnace and refrigerator and stove. Battery power operates the water pump, furnace blower and lights. Other than air conditioning, you are self contained and do not need hookups. That said, solar will keep your batteries charged and the EMS will protect your trailer if you ever hook up. Other than those 2 critical items, you can do without most other options. The EMS looks for improperly wired power pedestals and protect your a/c from low voltage or high voltage which can burn up the unit.
__________________
Jim
What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals....
Goethe
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:54 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Danbury, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Posts: 3,033
If you plan on doing off grid camping for any length of time you have 3 options in my opinion

1) Get the factory solar
2) Carry / Use a generator
3) Learn to highly curtail your use of battery power

Jim N pretty well summed it up .

We have camped off grid for 3 to 4 days without solar or a generator using a single 27F wet cell battery .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:14 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineMcD View Post
Hello all
Well if all goes well we should have a deposit on our new 2020 escape 19 by next Saturday

Hoping you can help with our surge protector inquiry
We plan on doing alot of boon docking and we already have a quiet inverter generator 2400 watt Yamaha. We do also want to do provincial parks within canada and the USA.. If we get the built in surge protector from Escape will it create issues with our generator or are we better off getting a portable surge protector. If portable is better option then would we get a 50 or 30 amp

Also wondering if inverter with transfer switch to all plugs Can be added after as we are not sure we will require solar but we are getting trailer prewired for it just incase

Any advise is appreciated
Cheers
Christine
I didn't see an answer to the last question. Almost anything can be added or modified after purchasing the trailer, however adding a transfer switch & changing to whole house for an inverter is a somewhat involved electrical project. Adding a single outlet inverter isn't too difficult, but whole house involves adding a sub panel & moving some wiring from the converter to the sub panel.

As to solar, if you dry camp, I believe you would find it useful. It will provide the relatively small amount of power you describe using without needing to carry gas & the noise of the generator.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I didn't see an answer to the last question. Almost anything can be added or modified after purchasing the trailer, however adding a transfer switch & changing to whole house for an inverter is a somewhat involved electrical project. Adding a single outlet inverter isn't too difficult, but whole house involves adding a sub panel & moving some wiring from the converter to the sub panel.
Yes and one should also realize that if they want to mimic the stock set up with a WFCO T-50 transfer switch that connects to the back of the power center it can be difficult after the fact because there is likely wiring in the way. Of course one could wire up a stand-alone transfer switch that does not piggyback on the stock power center.
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #20
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 9,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If you plan on doing off grid camping for any length of time you have 3 options in my opinion

1) Get the factory solar
2) Carry / Use a generator
3) Learn to highly curtail your use of battery power

Jim N pretty well summed it up .

We have camped off grid for 3 to 4 days without solar or a generator using a single 27F wet cell battery .
Yep, you can camp just like tenters have done forever and continue to do. OR, after spending thousands of dollars on a trailer, you can use it as designed with all the comforts. Neither is wrong. But I gave up tent camping for a reason. YMMV
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×